Opinion on this micro 4/3 adaptor please

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
coominya

Opinion on this micro 4/3 adaptor please

#1 Post by coominya » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:54 pm

I currently use a smartphone on my upright Olympus CH, with mixed results, and spotted this which would allow me to connect my mirrorless Olympus OM- M5 into one of the EP sockets. It looks the part? But I have reservations...
I know the lens arrangement in it might not be the highest quality optics but are there any other issues anyone has experience with?

https://www.telescopeadapters.com/for-m ... apter.html

There is also this trinocular port adapter. Would this work in an eyepiece socket?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Olympus-DSL ... :rk:2:pf:0

wporter

Re: Opinion on this micro 4/3 adaptor please

#2 Post by wporter » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:51 pm

I don't think that you need an adapter with a lens. Here's the one I use for eyepiece-tube imaging, and it works great on a BH2: flat-field, no vignetting,etc. Worth trying out at the price, anyway:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23-2mm-Microsc ... 2749.l2649

(My camera is an Oly OMD EM5II micro 4/3)

coominya

#3 Post by coominya » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:39 pm

wporter wrote:I don't think that you need an adapter with a lens.
Cool. I'll test it by just hovering the camera, without lens, above the EP tube and see what I can see.

Doesn't seem to work? We have the same camera, MII, same scope basically, but the pix are out of focus no matter how I focus with the microscope. Am I missing something in this process? The ad talks about mounting a M42 Lenses on camera, no idea what this is all about. I am used to using this camera on a dedicated mount in combination with an NFK 2.5 photo EP on my olympus IMT-2.

wporter

#4 Post by wporter » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:30 am

No, it does not work for me, either (hovering the camera). But just pop on the adapter & drop into the eyepiece tube and you get a good image (though it's not perfectly parfocal with the remaining eyepiece). I think it may have to do with the camera's electronics needing a lens or adapter screwed onto the camera to avoid autofocus craziness. Or something like that.

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:58 am

I have Olympus OMD E-M10 II. My microscope objectives need eyelids compensation, so I use afocal imaging (camera lens over visual eyepiece).

You can set the camera to M (manual) mode. 28mm, 30mm or 35mm lens should work well with 10x visual eyepiece, as long as you couple them together. I glue one of my eyepiece to lens step-down adapter rings, then screw onto lens' front filter thread. You get exact parfocal and almost identical view field with other visual eyepiece, if you use a teaching head.

I used a Sigma 30mm F/2.8 m4/3 lens before. But its aperture sometimes automatically closes down, even if full manual mode, when camera thinks there is too much light.

So I changed to adapted full manual film lens. Canon FD 28mm or 35mm lenses (adapted with FD-m4/3 adapter) both work quite well.

coominya

#6 Post by coominya » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:54 am

wporter wrote:No, it does not work for me, either (hovering the camera). But just pop on the adapter & drop into the eyepiece tube and you get a good image (though it's not perfectly parfocal with the remaining eyepiece). I think it may have to do with the camera's electronics needing a lens or adapter screwed onto the camera to avoid autofocus craziness. Or something like that.
I'll just order one. Like you say, they are cheap. Stuffed if I know why the inverted microscope has that other setup on the side port with an MTV adapter (with a lens) and the photo EP behind it. That's a lot of glass if all that's needed is a hollow tube :(

coominya

#7 Post by coominya » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:13 am

zzffnn wrote:
You can set the camera to M (manual) mode. 28mm, 30mm or 35mm lens should work well with 10x visual eyepiece, as long as you couple them together.
That's the problem zz, I don't want to expose my pancake lens ($350) to the vagaries of my homemade setup. Glad it works for you though, if the $14 tube works I'll send you some pix, you might want to convert.

MicroBob

#8 Post by MicroBob » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:50 am

The offered adapter is just cobbled together from cheap chinese components that you can get cheaper from ebay.
I once equiped an older M43 camera with an ebay microscope adapter to be able to sell it off. The setup is simple, flexible and lightweight, but the quality is only good for internet resolution. If I remember right I used a microscope adapter with RMS diameter plus adapter sleeves and a flat M43 C-mount adapter, all together for 20€.
For better quality a pancake camera lens of about 30mm focal length (Sigma?) an the proper eyepiece for your microscope system (high eyepoint) would be much superior.

Bob

zzffnn

#9 Post by zzffnn » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:18 am

coominya,

The Canon FD manual film lenses that I mentioned can be bought for as cheap as $30 in US. Sometimes you can find them cheap from local estate sales, attached to old film cameras. Australia may be a different market though.

wporter

#10 Post by wporter » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Zzffnn raises a good point. By using only the cheap adapter I linked to, you may be losing some correction that would be provided by an eyepiece or a photo projection lens. I haven't done any imaging tests with my adapter, since I just got it myself (but that will be on my worklist). The image on the camera's viewscreen didn't look that bad, to tell the truth.

But the adapter is very cheap, of good quality, and worth trying, to at least get baseline no-lens data.

coominya

#11 Post by coominya » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:42 pm

zzffnn wrote:coominya,

Sometimes you can find them cheap from local estate sales, attached to old film cameras.
Ok, thanks for the heads up.