Ah Yes, I remember it well ... Archaeopteryx

Posts that are not microscopy-related should be placed here.
MichaelG.

Ah Yes, I remember it well ... Archaeopteryx

#1 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:45 am

Too many 'projects'

Hobbyst46

Re: Ah Yes, I remember it well ... Archaeopteryx

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:19 am

Thanks MichaelG for this link to an enjoyable article!

In addition to the main theme, it is a reminder that great scientists are liable to be remembered on behalf of their mistakes, or heated controversies with contemporary scientists and colleagues, or anti-social behavior, not less than due to their positive achievements.

IMO it is also amazing that the secrets of dinosaurs are revealed with microscopy, whose primary function is to discover much tinier creatures... although archaeopteryx was only as large as a hen...

coominya

#3 Post by coominya » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:45 am

So many doubters in the world today trying to pull apart established science, good to see that technology has re-affirmed the authenticity. I have always loved fossils, but alas have never had any for myself. I was pondering a trip to some local coal mines to search for a fern leaf or some-such weeks ago when I thought, "Ebay" lol lol. Sure enough there are lots of beautiful specimens to be had, and for less than the cost in fuel I would have used traveling out to search myself.

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:58 pm

Thanks for a great link, Michael G.. Last year I read an article on a Britt using 3D printer with files from stereotactic macrophotography of insects...fantastic replicas..and with a twiddle of the printers keyboard...larger than life insect replicas.

I,m hoping someone 3D prints protozoa...before this Christmas perhaps?! The article on crow toolmaking wonderful...I feed a family of crows at a spot on my driveway. Charlie guevara

billbillt

#5 Post by billbillt » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:13 pm

Thanks Michael G..... I had read about this the other day and it was good to re-read it .... It is always interesting to follow along with the research into this and other fossils... What was thought true proved to be true...

The Best,
BillT

MichaelG.

#6 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:24 pm

Just a note: The reason for the title of this thread was that I do well remember the photographic exercise, which was documented at some length by Geoffrey Crawley [the Editor of the British Journal of Photography], who was actively involved.

He and Hoyle were quite convinced that they had exposed a forgery.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Rodney

#7 Post by Rodney » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:20 pm

And I think a certain few smaller vertebrates started this path way before T Rex dinosaur days. So adaptation and evolution were the process for anything.
The Flu virus changes all the time.
Rodney

billbillt

#8 Post by billbillt » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:42 pm

Here is a link to Neil Shubin's video on his great discovery of "Tiktaalik", the evolutionary link of prehistoric Man coming out of water and on to land... I also read his book... Very exciting stuff........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dUdVk3wf_8

BillT
Attachments
SHUBIN.jpg
SHUBIN.jpg (11.19 KiB) Viewed 7501 times