Bausch & Lomb StereoZoom ?

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Tarloth

Bausch & Lomb StereoZoom ?

#1 Post by Tarloth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:28 am

Hi:

As I said in the Nikon's post sorry for the delay to publish this post. Again, thanks to all that answered my post in newbie section!. I received the microscope in a wooden box and everything seems OK. I did a superficial cleaning and adjustement following the covington page about B&L SZ and the microscope works OK and seems aligned and responsive. I really surprised for the optical quality of this microscope! Wow! perhaps I liked it more than teh Nikon!

Again, I don't know the exact model, maybe the SZ4? Somebody can confirm the model?

It had came with the 10x W.F. ocular and the magnifications and field it's more than ok. Exist any improvement to add? I need to buy the barlow lens to protect the objectives from the soldering fumes.

Thanks to all again for your time and now I need to build ring illuminator too and for sure a camera adaptor, then I will still bother all of you in this forum. THANKS

PM: Sorry for the cardboard but I like to isolate the microscope in the picture

apochronaut

Re: Bausch & Lomb StereoZoom ?

#2 Post by apochronaut » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:31 am

Yes. It is a Stereozoom 4. There is a protective window available. It is called a "Clear Glass Lens Shield" Cat.# 31-26-21.

It is a flat screw on device, less than a cm. deep. Looks superficially like a supplementary lens.

Tarloth

#3 Post by Tarloth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:33 pm

THANKS!!!! Some place to buy one of this lens? I was searching here for a camera filter but the original part it's better! I'm still surprised by the quality, I had much less expectations from it!

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:03 pm

Let me look. I might have.

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:16 pm

I finally found the protective shield. There is no part # stamped on this one, just B&L. The threaded section is 38mm across . This part is common to the 1,2,3,4 and 5 . The 240 and SZ7 have unique mounts on the bottom and require different parts.

wporter

#6 Post by wporter » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:33 pm

What microscope are these shields to?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bausch-Lomb-st ... :rk:2:pf:0

Tarloth

#7 Post by Tarloth » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:40 pm

Apochronaut, can you post a photograph? Are you selling this shield? THANKS

Wporter, I ask the same question :-)

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:08 pm

The middle # of the 3 grouped in the cat. # is more or less related to the age of a part. Parts for the earlier stereozooms and the 7 usually have 26 or 27 in that middle frame. 28, probably indicates a more recent instrument and possibly one of the student scopes they had made in Japan for them. SSM( Student Stereo Microscope)-40 or the ASZ ( Academic Stereo Zoom).

Yes. The window is for sale. I rarely require any protection over the front elements of any stereo I use. I have the same part for AO stereos anyway.
P.M. me if you are interested.

GaryB

#9 Post by GaryB » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:59 am

Congrats, I have the same model with a more elaborate stand, and like you say, much better performance than expected after a clean-up. It's a really nice scope and I'm enjoying mine no-end.

Have fun with it :D

Tarloth

#10 Post by Tarloth » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:12 pm

Thanks Gary, yes, I still surprised with this microscope. Do you know some manual to clean up the optics? I clean it superficially but ocullars has some dirt in the periphery but I don't know if I can dissasembly the doblets. Thanks

Scarodactyl

#11 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:15 pm

B&l eyepieces can be disassembled by unscrewing, though on some you need a long flat implement to get the top off (it has two notches on either side of the ocular with empty space between). My go-to solution is a wood chisel ground to the right length. Otherwise just make very sure you keep the orientation of each component right as you clean them. If you don't pay careful attention reassembly can be a nightmare.
If you want to get inside, it is all held together by bolts you can unscrew, and each lens can be reached with long q-tips. I cleaned mine with acetone and q tips, which worked fine. The big thing is there is a lot of grease on inner workings which has to stay off the lenses, so your aim must be good to not touch any grease as you reach in. Otherwise just be gentle.
(I was successful in cleaning up some really filthy optics on mine, but alas it was also way out of alignment and I could never get that bit fixed.)

Tarloth

#12 Post by Tarloth » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks Scarodactyl, Acetone it's better than Isopropyl alcohol? THANKS AGAIN

einman

#13 Post by einman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:44 pm

Tarloth wrote:Thanks Scarodactyl, Acetone it's better than Isopropyl alcohol? THANKS AGAIN
I would not use acetone. It can not only remove paint but dissolve any glue being used in the assembly.

Isopropyl is good.

Scarodactyl

#14 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:05 am

Yeah, i can't recommend it, only say what I did. It didn't cause any problems but it was used very sparingly.

Tarloth

#15 Post by Tarloth » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:20 am

Great!!! I try to a deep clean in the week!