Photomicrographer - Hello from Calgary, Alberta

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
RobBerdan

Photomicrographer - Hello from Calgary, Alberta

#1 Post by RobBerdan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Hello from Calgary - I am a semi-retired cell biologist now full time nature photographer. I have been involved in microscopy for over 45 years, and about 2 years ago my interest has returned. I have built a small home microscopy lab and accumulating more microscopes. I use DIC, phase, darkfield, brightfield, Rheinberg, Flourescence to view fresh water invertebrates mostly and some plant material. I am hoping to promote photomicrography more in Canada.

For those interested in seeing some of my photomicrographs please visit my web site is: http://www.canadiannaturephotographer.com

I also invite others to sumbit photo articles on microscopy.

Hope I can make a contribution.
Attachments
Home microscopy lab - built in what used to be a darkroom.
Home microscopy lab - built in what used to be a darkroom.
rberdan_lab01_DLP5734.jpg (308.91 KiB) Viewed 6007 times

ImperatorRex

Re: Photomicrographer - Hello from Calgary, Alberta

#2 Post by ImperatorRex » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:00 pm

Hi Rob, very nice lab! Had a first look into your web site, great shots and photos. Definitely something I love to check out more at the weekend.

Aslan

#3 Post by Aslan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:26 pm

Great website? I really like your use of a grey background for some of your photomicrographs.
Spenser 58 convertible microscope

einman

#4 Post by einman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Very nice collection and neatly organized lab! Envious you seem to have cameras on every scope whereas I have to move my single camera around..LOL

I would post pics of my lab as it sits currently but it is in total disarray with aquariums, jars, microscopes etc scattered about. I keep fish, invertebrates of various types and ant colonies which are cluttering every bench top. I hope to have it looking as neat as yours come spring.

RobBerdan

#5 Post by RobBerdan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:14 am

Thanks for your comments. I have been buying a lot of used equipment on Kijjii and Ebay and have found some great deals. I usually have to refurbish some of the equipment but I enjoy it. I am waiting on an Olympus Inverted IMT microscope I just bought on Ebay for an unbelieveable price - I may have to refurbish, but for those with patience there is some great deals. The sellers don't always answer my questions, so sometimes I make a really low bid - they still may not answer me and sometimes accept my bid - usually it works out in my favour.

I had to sell some camera equipment to buy the Axioscope and will be paying on it for a while, but I love using DIC optics.

Thank you.

Cheers
Rob

einman

#6 Post by einman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:03 pm

Well myself and many others understand exactly where you are coming from. I had up until recently about 36 stands but have been selling them off to make room as my interests narrow. I have seen some great deals on IMT stands. I have one myself.

You will find various members that are experts in their given fields of study as well as on specific makes and models of scopes. You will enjoy yourself immensely on this forum.

KurtM

#7 Post by KurtM » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:04 am

Welcome Rob -- I have perused your website quite a bit previously. Your photomicography is certainly top-notch, and I really appreciate your articles. What I like best is your spirit of sharing, and I thank you for all you've posted.

I've been watching eBay closely for inverted microscopes for about a year now, so got to know that segment of the market pretty well (I ended up with a lovely Nikon Diaphot TMD phase/DIC in August that I am still honeymooning with). A lot of those scopes just sit for month after month, and yeah, after a while you begin to get the drift of it: so many of them are offered by surplus dealers who know nothing whatever about microscopes; the stands have been sitting in warehouses, been roughly handled, and are filthy and stiff; they're seldom complete, often sans objectives or other vital bits, and tend to be wildly overpriced for what they are. But making crazy offers can certainly be advantageous, and learning to refurbish such equipment not an insurmountable ambition. I'm a big believer that it's largely a matter of how badly do you want it?? Also, of course, always be on high lookout for the occasional deals by sellers who are indeed microscope enthusiasts offering square deals.

The above comments are directed at the general audience, incidentally. I'm pretty sure Dr. Berdan isn't relying upon me for instruction! Just trying to pass along a little of what I have learned in this nutty endeavor.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:19 pm

Now that is a nice Lab!
Do you take any anti dust/humidity measures?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

hkv

#9 Post by hkv » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Wow! What a lab! Would be nice to visit someday!
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival