Question

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
ivangallego24

Question

#1 Post by ivangallego24 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:51 pm

It is normal that the 40x and 100x objectives can not be unscrewed?

MichaelG.

Re: Question

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Some context would be helpful ...

But in the broad context: No it's not normal

MichaelG.
Edit: Is it the same problem that we discussed before ?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6897
Too many 'projects'

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:24 pm

I remember your question from a while ago. Did you try the method I suggested before? It always works, due to the leverage the pliers or vice grips supply. If you cannot source a narrow leather strap to wrap around the objective base, cut one from an old pair of shoes, work boots or other item. Straps from an old camera case or other leather bag or purse work . It just needs to be at least 2mm thick and about a cm. wide but top grain leather only, not suede.
Some items made from thick dense rubber will work too , such as those flat bungee straps but less dense rubber can shred easier than leather and allow the jaws of the tool to dig into the metal, something you are trying to avoid.

One of the pitfalls of off the shelf Chinese equipment, microscopes included , is that they save quite a bit of money in production by lowering the specifications of the metals used and slackening the tolerances of the fittings used. Threads in many cases are, loosely and quickly cut, on or into coarse material with uneven hardness and lots of impurities. This is a recipe for threads that cross thread easily, bind easily and once tightened, resist loosening. Sometimes the threads(especially with brass or aluminum) will pull slightly in the process of tightening, making the fit during the action of loosening very tight.

ivangallego24

#4 Post by ivangallego24 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:11 pm

That is already solved and I could put the objectives correctly my question now is if the objective of 40x and 100x can be removed in case some day I have to change them for others apparently do not take off in fact on the page where I buy the microscope I saw that he said "the objective of 40x and 100x are embedded in the head or something like that"

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:32 pm

ivangallego24 wrote:... in fact on the page where I buy the microscope I saw that he said "the objective of 40x and 100x are embedded in the head or something like that"
That is most unusual, Ivan ... Could you please give a link to the page ?

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:47 pm

ivangallego24 wrote:That is already solved and I could put the objectives correctly my question now is if the objective of 40x and 100x can be removed in case some day I have to change them for others apparently do not take off in fact on the page where I buy the microscope I saw that he said "the objective of 40x and 100x are embedded in the head or something like that"
"Embeded" is an exaggerated term for objectives that are reversibly installed in a nosepiece. IMHO, such a term in a description page would be unsuitable.

ivangallego24

#7 Post by ivangallego24 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:30 pm

Sorry I was wrong I wanted to say integrated not embedded, here is the link
https://www.amaina.com/microscopios/248 ... 3-pli.html

MichaelG.

#8 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:19 am

ivangallego24 wrote:Sorry I was wrong I wanted to say integrated not embedded, here is the link
https://www.amaina.com/microscopios/248 ... 3-pli.html
Thanks for the link ... I have just run a DeepL translation on the offending paragraph, and get this:
The 40x and 100x magnification objectives are retractable and integrated in the head, the latter being a 100x oil immersion.
'retractable' is good [= spring loaded], but I do worry about 'integrated'

MichaelG.

https://www.deepl.com
Too many 'projects'

75RR

#9 Post by 75RR » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:35 am

The video shows that the microscope is available with a selection of objectives so I assume that the word "integrados" is marketing hyperbole.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

apochronaut

#10 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:32 pm

Interesting that Euromex are made in the Netherlands. There must be a Dutch law that if a certain amount of the assembly is done locally, then it qualifies as domestic made. We have coffee that is product of Canada, here.
The Euromex line looks pretty decent in the context of Chinese microscopes. Some of the models are so close to being identical to others with different branding, as to be identical. One is basically the same as a Zeiss Primostar.
Optika , makes the claim that the microscopes are made in Italy. It's a similar situation. The components are sourced in China.

The word integrated , most likely refers to the fact that they are integrated in the nosepiece with the other objectives. If there was a reference to the objectives being permanently fitted into the nosepiece, the translation would come out to something like " the objectives are securely fitted into the nosepiece for permanent alignment" because that would be the only reason why objectives would need to be fixed in a nosepiece.

I'm pretty sure your objectives all thread out and can be threaded out. If you are unsure, why don't you contact Euromex and ask them. I would imagine they have customer support.