Olympus CH-2

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Hobbyst46

Re: Olympus CH-2

#31 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:13 pm

Patrick wrote:Things I made sure to have at hand:
- silicon based grease (it is safe for plastics as it's chemically non-binding)
- optics cleaning fluid [evaporates crazy quick]: 70% vol. diethyl ether (99.5%) + 30% vol. ethanol (96%)
I would not use any of these. Especially for the focusing mechanism or any similar moving part, I prefer the Nyogel greases, e.g. 767. The optics cleaning fluid, IMHO, might do more harm than good on the microscope. Ether BTW is EXTREMELY flamable! the best cleaning chemicals for microscope optics parts are isopropanol, and in severe cases - xylene. In small amounts, workung under air ventilation. Never any spray of anything near the optics. Just a moistened Q-tip or piece of lens cloth. Solvent vapors can penetrate within lens elements and do havoc.

Crater Eddie

#32 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:25 pm

Patrick, the CH-2 is a very capable scope. I used one for several years, but that was many sleeps ago. :lol:
Enjoy.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

TomB

#33 Post by TomB » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:30 pm

Thank you all for the guidance and help that's great. I feel a lot clearer now. Went to see one today but a dodgy stage mechanism
turned me off. Still looking!

Patrick

#34 Post by Patrick » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:42 pm

For anyone still interested in more info on UV absorption by glass an other materials - Ben Krasnow, from Applied Science, just released quantitative results of his research on eyewear and sunscreen with a deuterium light source at https://youtu.be/vwsHRrDYu5o

Better to be safe then sorry ;)
UV_s.jpg
UV_s.jpg (190.77 KiB) Viewed 7534 times

Hobbyst46

#35 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:33 pm

Patrick wrote:For anyone still interested in more info on UV absorption by glass an other materials - Ben Krasnow, from Applied Science, just released quantitative results of his research on eyewear and sunscreen with a deuterium light source at https://youtu.be/vwsHRrDYu5o
Better to be safe then sorry ;)
Thanks for this relevant information.
From the safety aspect:
It demonstrates that to completely block UV, polycarbonate must be further coated. And glass is not really protective (attenuation by about 50% does not count in my opinion). Green plastic is better, I think it is being used by professional glass blowers. Or they use dark blue protective eyeglasses.
From the illumination brightness aspect:
It demonstrates that there is a significant loss of UV beam intensity on passing through glass. And nearly total loss on passing through polycarbonate.
From the purist aspect:
The loss of ~10% of the beam intensity when passing through SiO2 is possibly due to reflectance. Each surface of the plate might reflect 5%.

MichaelG.

#36 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:30 pm

Patrick wrote:For anyone still interested in more info on UV absorption by glass an other materials - ...
Many thanks for that, Patrick

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

PeteM

#37 Post by PeteM » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:17 pm

Patrick wrote:For anyone still interested in more info on UV absorption . . .
Thanks.

Polycarbonate performs very well in your chart. Polycarbonate welding lens protectors might be a good and very inexpensive (maybe $2) source of shielding material for anyone concerned about UV exposure.

denodan

#38 Post by denodan » Thu May 02, 2019 12:33 am

Was told here, but the guy that preconditions and sells Microscopes. These have far better optics than the Amscope and Chinese microscopes.

A warning with LED lighting, unless it is in the colour range of 2700, LED is very bad for your eyes.

There has been some research, that suggests the blue light does damage to the eye, and also blue/white light keeps you awake.

A lot more people are wearing glasses today, which is due to the harmful colour of LED's.

I know the optometrist here in New Zealand had notice an increase of younger people needing glasses and it's due the KED lighting, like phones LED lighting, LED TV's etc

MichaelG.

#39 Post by MichaelG. » Wed May 08, 2019 8:48 am

Continuing the theme of UV filtering ... this may be of interest:
https://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/PM1108.html

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'