please advise on objective brought indoors from 28 degree F mail box.

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
charlie g

please advise on objective brought indoors from 28 degree F mail box.

#1 Post by charlie g » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:12 pm

Yes, my Nikon Plan Apo 20X objective was sitting in it's Nikon vial/wrapped in bubble-foam/ this wrapped in foam inside a USP box/ baggeg as priority mail from con-US to my US home.

Please advise..it's a hefty weighted metal optic with lots of glas/ lots of metal internal spacers/ lots of air compartments...it's a chilly cold component brought indoors.

1) I opened it's Nikon holding vial, 2) I opened the screw base-cap...I have it at my bench waiting to reach ambient temp of my indoor bench.

Please offer any comments on how to bring a mailed optic indoors from a 20's degree-F...or colder temp mail box?

With my refractor telescope and the variety of hefty oculars for it..I permit temp acclimation before use outdoors...or before indoor storage.

Amy thoughts regardin microscope optics sitting in outdoor mail boxes...was I correct to open the storage vial to allow temp adjust prior to again closing up this nifty glass and metal assemblage? Please offer opines. thanks, Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/US

wporter

Re: please advise on objective brought indoors from 28 degree F mail box.

#2 Post by wporter » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi Charlie,

I think it's best to bring the cold packaged object inside, but not to unwrap it while it warms up (might take a few hours). This way, you don't directly expose the cold metal to new moist air, which will tend to condense water out onto the cold metal. But even if it does get covered with condensate, probably no big harm done; just wait until it evaporates before turning iris adjustments, collars, etc., to avoid working any moisture into the works.

Have fun with your new objective!

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:09 am

thank you so much, Bill Porter for the clear reasons for: 'letting it all stay wrapped till thermal equilibrium'. I now received two Nikon Plan-apo objectives ( I sensed it a great buy...go figure?!, or was it 'cabin-fever in waning winter...with eBay a patient impulse siren?!).

The 20X objective from Ct./US...basically my climate, the 10X objective from Va/US...I guess a less chilly ambient air climate. I know I am 'over thinking' this issue of humidity/ temp drastic variations...sorry.

So I had unpacked and opened the plastic vial the 20X objective was shipped in..left it at my bench. By chance, my spouse left the 10X objective pkg on the kitchen table with my other mail...so this 10X objective enjoyed Bill porters sense of treatment.

All this concern emanates from my habits with winter optics of refractor telescope hobby....I've been counseled to never seal up optic components until they achieve ambient temp/humidity of the environment in which they are stored. I have also never much thought about the issue of: 'best season, best temp/humidity season in which to purchase costly optics'...I would never buy live fish by mail in 'dead of winter'...etc., etc.,...I must be 'over thinking this issue'.

A serious non-pro astronomer , Mike Clemens, with costly apochromatic refractor telescope optics...he at times takes a 6", or 8" apochromatic setup ( OTA + the support optics) into Alaska/US night at minus 10 F...or colder. Michael kindly shared with me his protocols for taking optics outdoors, where to bring indoors, how to store.

I fret over objective gems which sit in my outdoor mailbox...thank you Bill porter for your thoughtful comments. Thank you Bill Porter for your shared microscopy in forums which I have enjoyed over the years...hear, hear! Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/ US good doggie enroute to fetch our mai.
Attachments
IMG_2705.JPG
IMG_2705.JPG (16.74 KiB) Viewed 12418 times
IMG_2701.JPG
IMG_2701.JPG (227.23 KiB) Viewed 12418 times

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:48 pm

So I had opened, unpacked and opened the objectives plastic vial with the 20X optic. The 10X optic was indoors in the pkg for over six hours when I brought it to my bench.

Bill Porters advice was followed for this 10X optic by chance! thanks all for any opines on cold optics waiting outdoors in a cold mail-box. Charlie guevara
Attachments
IMG_2708.JPG
IMG_2708.JPG (252.27 KiB) Viewed 12390 times
IMG_2714.JPG
IMG_2714.JPG (253.18 KiB) Viewed 12390 times

wporter

#5 Post by wporter » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:29 pm

Nice looking dog, Charlie, built for the Great Frozen North. Is that a keg of brandy that I see around its neck?

From (sorta) warm SoCal,

Bill

charlie g

#6 Post by charlie g » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:00 pm

Thanks again guys, I guess unless it's water on the mail...I need not fear costly PlanApo ( Nikons etched term on the objective barrels) optics sitting in my outdoor mailbox, just bring the pkgs indoors and leave for hours.

With first light, the PlanApo 10/0.45, and the PlanApo 20/0.75 give thrilling early springtime views of golden diatoms on our stream channel rocks! Now that golden 'felt covering' on stream pebbles has me thinking of all that near monoculture of diatoms. Crocuses were up today..happy springtime/'19 Charlie guevara
Attachments
IMG_9638.JPG
IMG_9638.JPG (33.66 KiB) Viewed 12330 times
IMG_2571.JPG
IMG_2571.JPG (12.45 KiB) Viewed 12330 times
Last edited by charlie g on Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hobbyst46

#7 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:14 pm

charlie g wrote:...I guess unless it's water on the mail...I need not fear costly PlanApo ( Nikons etched term on the objective barrels) optics sitting in my outdoor mailbox, just bring the pkgs indoors and leave for hours.
With first light, the PlanApo 10/0.45, and the PlanApo 20/0.75 give thrilling early springtime views of golden diatoms on our stream channel rocks! Now that golden 'felt covering' on stream pebbles has me thinking of all that near monoculture of diatoms.
I salute your taking the appropriate measures to prevent water condensation on your optics. Bless the attention to "small" details.
I know very little about ecology, yet would expect that fresh, clean stream water should favor a high diversity of diatom population, rather then a dominating species.

charlie g

#8 Post by charlie g » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:49 pm

Right you are, err hobbyist, the splendor of communities is rich in temperate zone freshwaters year round. I was lapsing into the 'field marks' of this now dominant diatom species which imparts a golden-brown felt, or fir to stream channel pebbles after the ice is gone. A very lowcost and excellent text for hobbyist (like myself) is by Dr.Betsey Dexter Dyer: " A field Guide to Bacteria".

Walking on a microscopy collection hike anywhere in open spaces..I guess in poorly maintained indoor properties as well, heck in ones potted plants drip pans, ones aquaria..with naked eye..you see colors, sense smells which are field marks of a dominant organism...these 'spring cherio's ', these golden diatoms are all smiling as we walk early spring stream channels.

We hike along stream channels as the adjacent land is too dense with vegetation, other than along long used deer trails.

Again, thanks for your comments that my concerns with costly optics in the cold winter mails is sensible, hobbyist...and not ' a tempest in a tea pot' . You have calibrated my microscopy on a number of occasions, thank you, Hobbyist. Charlie guevara
Attachments
IMG_9546.JPG
IMG_9546.JPG (32.01 KiB) Viewed 12327 times
IMG_9492.JPG
IMG_9492.JPG (35.26 KiB) Viewed 12327 times
IMG_9455.JPG
IMG_9455.JPG (32.84 KiB) Viewed 12327 times

Hobbyst46

#9 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:00 pm

Wow, charlie, I must ask: are those "whole ananas slice" and "fragment of ananas slice" single radial diatoms or colonies of triangular ones?

charlie g

#10 Post by charlie g » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:19 pm

So in the spirit of enjoying 'microscopy world views' on our hikes, influenced by Dr. Betsey Dexter Dyer's concept of 'microbial field markers'...I have noted at my bench that the dominant coloration of the stream channel pebbles , are the delightful early springtime 'cherios'...those delightfuldiatoms. Green filamentous algae tufts are sporadically beginning to jostle and dance in the stream channel currents...tiny tufts anchored to a few pebbles... but the golden brown felt cover of stream pebbles is this one delightful species.

As a sincere aside folks...the pyriform ciliates I posted each have almost symmetrically positioned penate diatoms within them. Are these ingested to be utilized as food? Are these endobiont diatoms eventually to go along outside the ciliate which ingested them? Were these penate diatoms ingested when smaller? How do such large frustules get to negotiate the oral apparatus of these small ciliates?

How will the frustules be excreted from the ciliates? I guess I could follow this set of issues...but I'm too busy.

Again...thanks for any comments on costly optics in very cold winter outdoor mailboxes, happy springtime'19. Charlie guevara
Attachments
IMG_9578.JPG
IMG_9578.JPG (39.89 KiB) Viewed 12316 times
IMG_2735.JPG
IMG_2735.JPG (301.64 KiB) Viewed 12316 times
IMG_9525.JPG
IMG_9525.JPG (37.63 KiB) Viewed 12316 times

charlie g

#11 Post by charlie g » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:54 pm

Again I thank this forum for enhancing my microscopy...I never purchased PlanApos in below freezing temps..thanks for all the thoughts...err.. the gent from texas should enjoy his teapot lest a tempest derails his tea time.

I am now curious if those diatoms within these imaged stream ciliates are endosymbionts...rather than ingested 'food'. It seems a wonderful issue to follow with our microscopy.

Happy spring'19, Charlie guevara
Attachments
IMG_9516.JPG
IMG_9516.JPG (30.65 KiB) Viewed 12309 times
IMG_9475.JPG
IMG_9475.JPG (29.56 KiB) Viewed 12309 times
IMG_9519.JPG
IMG_9519.JPG (29.29 KiB) Viewed 12309 times

Scarodactyl

#12 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:30 pm

What is the world coming to where someone might be a bit protective of their expensive optics.... :|

charlie g

#13 Post by charlie g » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:53 pm

Charlie Guevara, fingerlakes/US Image of our spring'19 'supermoon' of 3/19...some call it the 'worm moon' as it should correlate with ground softening after winter season wanes.

happy springtime'19...yes BillBuilt...happy springtime..please get out and plant something nice. Charlie guevara
Attachments
IMG_2610.JPG
IMG_2610.JPG (183.27 KiB) Viewed 12255 times
Last edited by charlie g on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlie g

#14 Post by charlie g » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:24 pm

Good doggie and I placed a few pieces of plastic rough surface substrate in the stream channel...attached by rubber-bands to stream stones manifesting Meridion benthic diatom colonies ...to try and observe/ image capture benthic diatom colonies of genus: Meridion 'in situ/ on a colonized substrate'. And the green filamentous algae species also was addressed by substrate attachments to get colonized plastic substrates.

My doggie is 125 lbs+...his supervision of my stream activities cause siltation-black out of my stream channel work areas. At risk of stunting doggies enthusiasm for microscopy stream hikes..I often direct doggie to supervise from the high ground above my stream channel conversations with diatom and other freshwater algae early spring colonies. Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/US
Attachments
IMG_2908.JPG
IMG_2908.JPG (40.01 KiB) Viewed 11617 times
IMG_2880.JPG
IMG_2880.JPG (188.38 KiB) Viewed 11683 times
IMG_2180.JPG
IMG_2180.JPG (319.07 KiB) Viewed 11683 times
IMG_2177.JPG
IMG_2177.JPG (241.12 KiB) Viewed 11683 times
Last edited by charlie g on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

charlie g

#15 Post by charlie g » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:54 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:Wow, charlie, I must ask: are those "whole ananas slice" and "fragment of ananas slice" single radial diatoms or colonies of triangular ones?
Yikes Hobbyist46, Hi Hobbyist46...these near 'monocultures' of benthic freshwater diatom genus: Meridion give a golden-brown felt cover to patches of stream pebbles where lighting is just right.

On good doggie and my stream hikes ( again..due dense vegetation about the stream channels...streams offer easy hike path other than deer trails through woodlands)...on our hikes..in very early spring...ice and snow still about...these diatom colonies evident to naked eye as we hike the streams.

The colonies often form spirals rather than simple rings which can't further 'grow'. I have trouble with this basic concept of frustule enclosed diatoms ( as is genus: Meridion). According to my texts..diatoms reduce in size with each reproduction cycle..due their restricting frustules. So how is it that 'colonies' of these Meridion diatoms ...how is it that the large number of individual diatoms in the ring or spirals of Meridion are all the same size? Are these all the same generation/ same 'age' individual diatoms? If so..how, where do these individual units assemble into the rings and spirals?

Thanks for all who opined regards to optics left in outdoor winter mail boxes. Charlie guevara
Attachments
IMG_9871.JPG
IMG_9871.JPG (50.41 KiB) Viewed 11847 times
IMG_9750.JPG
IMG_9750.JPG (49.89 KiB) Viewed 11847 times
IMG_9744.JPG
IMG_9744.JPG (53.43 KiB) Viewed 11847 times

Hobbyst46

#16 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:33 pm

charlie g wrote:
Hobbyst46 wrote:Wow, charlie, I must ask: are those "whole ananas slice" and "fragment of ananas slice" single radial diatoms or colonies of triangular ones?
...I have trouble with this basic concept of frustule enclosed diatoms ( as is genus: Meridion). According to my texts..diatoms reduce in size with each reproduction cycle..due their restricting frustules. So how is it that 'colonies' of these Meridion diatoms ...how is it that the large number of individual diatoms in the ring or spirals of Meridion are all the same size? Are these all the same generation/ same 'age' individual diatoms? If so..how, where do these individual units assemble into the rings and spirals?
I believe that diatom assembly is still a live research subject. On the Sea Lettuce that I collected last year, hiking diatoms formed clusters, but not as orederly and symmetrical as your Meridions...
BTW, in image no 9744 and others, the width of the some of the spirals is not constant, like the spiral broadens on outward spread - the Meridions on one end of the spiral are short, those on opposite end are long. Amazing! thanks for posting.

charlie g

#17 Post by charlie g » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:21 pm

So I hope to have plastic chips I configured to plop on my bench microscope slides..to with episcopic illumination...observe how genus : Meridion colonies manifest. Ahh..but weather has so quickly changed..these dear 'cherio benthic diatoms' no longer dominate stream channel pebbles/ stones.

My querry, to which I suggest all opine on, or all if interested to do so.. look into is...1) if diatoms due their frustules confinement...must get 'smaller with each generation'...well exactly how due colonies of similar sized diatoms manifest?..Where do these diatoms assemble? How can genus: Meridion in a pulse of early stream 'ice-break'...coat stream stones as a dominant felt golden-brown color...if frustule contained diatoms: Meridion...follow a path of smaller size with each reproductive cycle?

Perhaps not all 'fustule encased diatoms' are limited to a smaller size with each reproductive cycle? It is My bad to not read my cluttered studies texts on this issue..but I welcome all to think about this issue of: 'frustule encased diatom colonies all very same size/ same volume...yet... how to explain this bloom of population reality?! thanks for any comments, Charlie Guevara/ finger lakes, US
Attachments
IMG_2564.JPG
IMG_2564.JPG (461.43 KiB) Viewed 11661 times
IMG_1210.JPG
IMG_1210.JPG (301.94 KiB) Viewed 11661 times

charlie g

#18 Post by charlie g » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:33 pm

So our stream substrate chips will patiently await diatom/ green thallus algae colonization for direct 'in situ observations' of individual frustule size in Meridion colonies.

I am always humbeled about the fast pace of early springtime changes to soils, changes to streams.

As Richard Harris in wonderful song: "MacArthur Park" calls our attention to with such deep affection for our lives/ our world: " Spring was never waiting for us girl...it ran onestep ahead, as we followed in the dance>".

Happy Spring time'19, Charlie Guevara, finger lakes /US
Attachments
IMG_2569.JPG
IMG_2569.JPG (298.79 KiB) Viewed 11619 times
IMG_2965.JPG
IMG_2965.JPG (272.75 KiB) Viewed 11619 times
IMG_2896.JPG
IMG_2896.JPG (292.23 KiB) Viewed 11619 times

charlie g

#19 Post by charlie g » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:34 pm

Hi all, despite the err burps in this thread, I want to keep it going for the stream springtime algae communities. My request to adm, to all, Is it possible for me to change the title name of this thread? Or does this cause havoc with the archive of threads?

I wish the title become: " Springtime '19 diatom cities". Again, thanks for the input on objectives left in outdoor mailbox...and best way to bring these optics indoors.

Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/US lots of spring chores I'm behind on, but excellent weather here.

The green algae species forming on stream pebbles, hosts a dense community of a specific pennate diatom species...a diatom city!
Attachments
IMG_9954.JPG
IMG_9954.JPG (32.93 KiB) Viewed 11508 times
IMG_9965.JPG
IMG_9965.JPG (45.39 KiB) Viewed 11508 times
IMG_9914.JPG
IMG_9914.JPG (44.4 KiB) Viewed 11508 times
IMG_0008 (1).JPG
IMG_0008 (1).JPG (297.7 KiB) Viewed 11508 times

Hobbyst46

#20 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Charlie g.: I enjoy your description of sampling nature organisms - please do continue.

charlie g

#21 Post by charlie g » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:48 pm

Thanks, hobbyist46 for your comments. What I want to do with simple light microscopy...is to revisit the: "1869 McDonald/Pfitzer rule", these two independently established that diatoms form each new valve with existing parent vale, the epitheca ( the top piece/ the larger valve in diatom frustules)...thus with frustules analogus to petri dish+ it's cover...diatoms will reduce in size with each diatom division.

There are rare exceptions to this: " McDonald/Pfitzer 1869 rule"...but I sense genus Meridion is not an exception to the 'rule'. I expect to observe in colonies of genus Meridion...the qualitative size/volume of neighbor diatoms in the colonies formed on my substrates.

A wonderful microscopy research effort would be to identify the optical microscopes these two microscopists utilized for their 1869 discovery of a 'rule' for diatom biology.

Of course my keen interest in 'first light use' of my Nikon PlanApo 10X, and 20X objectives sparked this thread.

Can anyone advise if change of title pof this thread is possible? Can any still opine if it is precarious to purchase costly optics in severe winter..when these optics will patiently remaim in an outdoor mailbox?
Attachments
IMG_9952.JPG
IMG_9952.JPG (37.81 KiB) Viewed 11395 times
IMG_2961.JPG
IMG_2961.JPG (260.13 KiB) Viewed 11395 times

75RR

#22 Post by 75RR » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:58 pm

You can edit your first post and change the 'Title ' of the thread, but only posts posted after the change will carry the new name.

Since you are still asking about 'the effect of subzero temperatures on objectives' it might be best to leave this one as is and start a new thread (with a link to this one) on your frustule size investigation.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

billbillt

#23 Post by billbillt » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:35 pm

Diatoms reproduce by two different modes, sexual and asexual.

http://wgbis.ces.iisc.ernet.in/biodiver ... /chap4.htm