Coming out of the shadows!

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
sailor_ed

Coming out of the shadows!

#1 Post by sailor_ed » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:51 pm

Greetings

I have been lurking the forum for a while and done a few posts so I think it is time I "came out" :) .

I started microscopy in my early teens with a turn of the century (19th to 20th) brass monocular scope. I spent many enjoyable hours with it and it solidified my interest in biology and microscopy. If anyone wondered where I was it was either at the lake, or the pond, or with my microscope looking at some stinky water!

When I later became employed as a research assistant in an insect endocrinology lab microscopes were a general feature of the landscape. But they were peripheral to most of my duties with the exception of stereo scope work. We mainly worked with old modified AO Spencer scopes which were outdated even at the time. But there were some new Wild's around and I had opportunities to work with B&L and AO Stereo zoom scopes of modern era.

After too many years I obtained a position as manager and operator of a service lab with a brand new state of the art AMRay 1000a scanning electron microscope. This was when SEM was a pretty new field, there were no trained operators and it was a perfect time for those (like me!) who had no previous experience to sneak in. Luckily I received great training at the factory.

The lab was open to use by the entire research community in the Boston Massachusetts area and so I photographed everything from deep sea vent bacteria to x-ray telescope diffraction gratings. There was always something new and I met and learned from many wonderful investigators. Truly a great employment experience.

Later I also got to learn and use an Hitachi 3000 TEM and did microphotography with a Zeiss Photomic III. (As we called it).

In all those years though, almost twenty, no one ever brought me any fresh water protozoa, my first love!

So now, some twenty years into retirement, I have forgotten most of what I learned so I am going to start all over again but this time with an AO20 phase microscope. Back to getting my feet wet foraging in ponds like I did when I was thirteen.

Thank you,
Sailor_ed

billbillt

Re: Coming out of the shadows!

#2 Post by billbillt » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:03 pm

Good to hear from you..

BillT

jimur

#3 Post by jimur » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:54 am

Congratulations on your "coming out". Isn't it a pleasant reward? Though we can't go back, we can always bring joy with us into retirement?
"You're never too old to have a happy childhood"
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:13 pm

I hope your 20 is doing well for you now, Ed. The nice thing about them is that because they are a late 60's microscope, the design and workmanship is very high grade, precise and durable. I think, only the badges are plastic. AO did not change the dovetail for the viewing body throughout the run of the infinity corrected microscopes, so with a telan lens change via the adoption of a series 400 Seidentopf head, the door is then open to explore the possibilites offered by the whole broad range of AO/Reichert/Leica D.I.N. infinity corrected optics, which includes a considerable number of very fine planfluors and planapos....even phase planfluors and planapos.