Rotifers scavenge genes...

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
Sauerkraut

Rotifers scavenge genes...

#1 Post by Sauerkraut » Fri May 03, 2019 3:19 pm

This article is really interesting. Amazing really. The only thing I don’t agree with is the author refers to rotifers as insignificant.

https://phys.org/news/2016-04-sexual-re ... genes.html

nboyer

Re: Rotifers scavenge genes...

#2 Post by nboyer » Sat May 04, 2019 8:56 pm

Very interesting article, Sauerkraut. The fact that they can dry up for years and then come alive again, when hydrated, is unbelievable. I found this guy in one of my overwatered plants the other day. Cheer! -Norm
Attachments
rotifer.jpg
rotifer.jpg (462.42 KiB) Viewed 8151 times
Olympus CX22 LED
Zeiss Axiovert 25

Sauerkraut

#3 Post by Sauerkraut » Tue May 07, 2019 5:13 am

Very nice, detailed image. I’m interested in finding a dried up rotifer at some point to see what it looks like.

It’s also amazing that they can snag DNA from other species and integrate it into their DNA in the correct place. So many questions about that process come to mind.

So far rotifers are my favorite to watch but that could in part be because they are easy to find and sometimes hold still.

nboyer

#4 Post by nboyer » Tue May 07, 2019 12:39 pm

Those buggers are for sure quick. I had to put a cover glass on top to slow him down. I could have taken a piece of paper towel to draw some of the water out from the slide to further slow him down. Cheers! -Norm
Olympus CX22 LED
Zeiss Axiovert 25

Sauerkraut

#5 Post by Sauerkraut » Tue May 07, 2019 3:42 pm

That's funny. I actually had one rotifer that escaped out from under the cover slip and swam around in the free water at the edge for a while.

I recently ordered a stain kit and it came with copper acetate and copper sulfate solutions. Supposedly a drop of these will slow down fast moving ciliates, though I haven't tried them yet.

nboyer

#6 Post by nboyer » Tue May 07, 2019 4:02 pm

Good to know, Sauerkraut. Let us know how it works and if you can post some pics, that would be all the better. Cheers! -Norm
Sauerkraut wrote:That's funny. I actually had one rotifer that escaped out from under the cover slip and swam around in the free water at the edge for a while.

I recently ordered a stain kit and it came with copper acetate and copper sulfate solutions. Supposedly a drop of these will slow down fast moving ciliates, though I haven't tried them yet.
Olympus CX22 LED
Zeiss Axiovert 25

cuxlander

#7 Post by cuxlander » Wed May 08, 2019 5:48 pm

Hello,

@norm
I found this guy in one of my overwatered plants the other day.
This is not a rotifer, probably Isotoma viridis.

Cheers,
Hans