Nikon Type S microscope illumination

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
dpreneta

Nikon Type S microscope illumination

#1 Post by dpreneta » Wed May 01, 2019 4:50 pm

Hello all...David here. I'm new to this site as I recently purchased a used Nikon type-S microscope, with variable transformer, adjustable arm with external illuminator holder, base mounted illuminator and tungsten bulb (all in beautiful and working condition). The mirror is not included and I wish it was. I use it to view slides and living protozoa (this is one of my many hobbies).

Anyway...during use I have a small computer type fan blowing air at the tungsten bulb to help reduce some of the heat it gives off and this works ok for me.

My question is...would there be a better illumination setup that wouldn't break the bank for such an older microscope? I've been looking for ways to incorporate LED lighting in my setup if possible.

Any advice or input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Hobbyst46

Re: Nikon Type S microscope illumination

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed May 01, 2019 5:39 pm

Hello and welcome, David,
A relatively inexpensive DIY LED is possible. The cost of the electronic components is (guess) <50 USD. But , it requires proper custom-made mechanical fittings that provide adequate heat dissipation, and the cost of making these depends...

Ocassionally, a flashlight can be found that enables Kohler illumination and pleasant neutral or warm white light (unless cool white suits the needs). Forum member wporter described a successful adaptation of an inexpensive LED torch from Home Depot some time ago. I think that the key is that the torch is single die, power 3-up Watts, focusable, and especially that the outer diameter of the torch complies with the geometry of the microscope lamp collector.

Two commercial sources for LED upgrades for old microscopes, that I know of, are retroDiode of Texas and TDKK of Europe, the costs are (roughly) 150-200 USD last time I checked. At least the one from retroDidoe works great for me.
Good luck! would be glad to know the solution.

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Wed May 01, 2019 8:09 pm

Some of the Nikon S microscopes have a sort of tubular insert at the back of the base; where the tungsten bulb carrier inserts. On one of my Nikon S units I found a bright LED flashlight with a diameter that almost perfect matches this. Pulled off the front of the flashlight to expose just the LED, turned it down for a snug sliding fit (if you get one a tiny bit smaller you could add something like tape). By placing the LED die where the old tungsten filament you get brighter, cooler illumination -- and have a portable microscope as a bonus.

Best LED flashlight will have a rechargeable LiIon battery, at least 100 real (they often exaggerate) lumens, and at least three brightness levels. There are now some $20 or so LED flashlights that are continuously dimmable and have a USB charger port out the back. Be sure to get one where you still have access to the controls. Only downside IMO is that many flashlights have a strobe mode you may have to click though to get to all the brightness levels.

Radazz

#4 Post by Radazz » Mon May 06, 2019 6:16 pm

There is a company called RetroDiode that makes led illuminators for a lot of classic microscopes.
I have one for the Zeiss standard with the tunnel from the back of the base to the field lens, and one for my Wild Heerbrugg M20s.
I also use the Zeiss illuminator on my Olympus SZ40 stereoscope.

They are a bit pricey, though, around $150 USD. And they only sell through eBay.

I’d say they are worth it if you can’t find the original equipment.

Radazz
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

dpreneta

#5 Post by dpreneta » Thu May 09, 2019 2:53 pm

I'd like to thank you all for your responses and suggestions. I contacted RetroDiode and ordered an LED illuminator for my Nikon S microscope. There wasn't one ready to ship out...but one was fabricated, assembled and shipped out in approximate a day and a half, it was $140.00 including shipping. Upfront it does seem costly, but once I tried it out I could not be happier with this product. The compact size alone makes it worth while compared to that old style transformer.

Again thank you..!

p.s...maybe I'll attache a pic to this post as well, if there is interest in seeing it.

Radazz

#6 Post by Radazz » Fri May 10, 2019 7:25 pm

Do please.
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

dpreneta

#7 Post by dpreneta » Tue May 14, 2019 1:49 pm

Well....I'm finally posing a few pics of my scope with the RetroDiode LED illuminator. It fits and works perfectly. Much more compact than the original tungsten illuminator and transformer. The scope was $75.00 off Craigslist and the illuminator was $140.00. That's a pair of 5x eyepieces in front of the scope that was included.
Attachments
Nikon S microscope 1.JPG
Nikon S microscope 1.JPG (138.95 KiB) Viewed 8099 times
Nikon S microscope 2.JPG
Nikon S microscope 2.JPG (138.93 KiB) Viewed 8099 times
Nikon S microscope 3.JPG
Nikon S microscope 3.JPG (138.82 KiB) Viewed 8099 times

Hobbyst46

#8 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:19 pm

Looks great, congratulations. A Nikon microscope for $75 ! Enjoy, and please post your findings and specimens as well.
quote="dpreneta"]...[/quote]BTW: does your microscope include a condenser ?

Radazz

#9 Post by Radazz » Wed May 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Those are pretty scopes. Nice find.
Radazz
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

dpreneta

#10 Post by dpreneta » Mon May 20, 2019 12:42 pm

Thanks guys...it really is a nice looking and working scope. I purchased it from a retired doctor...well his daughter anyway. I've just gotten back into this and time is spread thin...but I will post some images when I get rolling.

David.