Nikon S Microscope objectives

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
dpreneta

Nikon S Microscope objectives

#1 Post by dpreneta » Thu May 09, 2019 2:35 pm

I currently have Achromat objectives on my scope. I would like to upgrade to used Nikon Plan objectives for at least the 10x and 40x...these would be the same style objectives for my scope model. My current 40x objective is an S 40, 0.65, 0.17...can I use an S Fl 40 Plan, 0.75, 0.17 ? Is there a big difference between 0.65 and 0.75 for a 160 mm tube length microscope.

Thanks, David.

charlie g

Re: Nikon S Microscope objectives

#2 Post by charlie g » Thu May 09, 2019 3:34 pm

Hi David, I too have a Nikon S trinoc stand..I 'tricked it out' with circa 1990 Nikon CF objectives..it performs excellently for protozoa observation, diatom observations, pond life enjoyment right up to oil-objective. I even plopped a Zeis Plan apo 25X objective on it...wonderful crisp views of the cillias on protists with this objective.

1) Are you a serious collector who wants the Nikon objectives solely of Nikon S vintage ( err..short barrel Nikon objectives?) Do you want to keep optics in the Nikon family...that is to use more recent Nikon 160 mm TL CF objectives with your vintage Nikon S stand?

2) Fan or apochronaut forum microscopists may kindly comment in your thread if: the Nikon S era optic used 'compensating oculars ' to function with that eras Nikon objectives? Again..my Nikon CF objectives function excellent with my Nikon S stand.

3) I have plenty of Nikon CF objectives I can low cost sell if your desire is a Nikon stand..with CF Nikon objectives.

4) I have all sorts of Nikon CF oculars..I never tried these on my Nikon S stand. Charlie Guevara , finger lakes/ NY

dpreneta

#3 Post by dpreneta » Thu May 09, 2019 5:50 pm

Thanks for the response Charlie. I just got back into this as an additional hobby and thought it would be nice to have some better objectives. I'm not a collector but do try to keep thing as original as possible...but I can break the rules. I do not want to break the bank either as my main hobbies also cost me. I would be interested in knowing what you have for sale as well as asking prices. I have basic microscopy understanding and know that not all objectives work for all scopes, but believe anything designed for 160 mm tube length would work on my Nikon Type S...correct me if I'm wrong.

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Sat May 11, 2019 8:10 pm

Hello...I'll coble some images together in this thread...offline (pm) I can suggest prices for objectives...all low cost. Too many hobbies...sigh..for me it's: 'too little time' for all that needs be done. Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/NY

dpreneta

#5 Post by dpreneta » Sat May 11, 2019 10:59 pm

Thanks Charlie...I would appreciate that. David

charlie g

#6 Post by charlie g » Wed May 15, 2019 1:56 pm

David, you have a beautiful, and to me as a baby-boomer...you have an elegant black enamel instrument in your home, thanks for sharing!

It is now a question for you if you wish to further this stand from achro to plan achro, or fluor or apo Nikon objectives. I think you have already 'broken pedigree' with an LED ( upgrade) illumination source.

Any quality oculars, objectives you aquire for this 'starter stand' , or substage condensers for it...may be utilized with your 'next and better workhorse stand'...if your next stand is a Nikon finite stand up to 1990's Nikon Labophot..I think.

Do you drop the duckets into this binoc stand you have for it's trinocular head? For image capture the trinoc head is easier than the eyepiece cameras rigged for binoc head stands.

I love freshwater/pond and wetland live wetmount slide microscopy...wish I had more time for this wonderful expansion or our world views..but I am quite busy with work and chores. My microscopy and hikes for samples, outdoor mesocosm setup, indoor microcosm setups are a joy and have crowded out my spare time over my astronomy hobby. And my good doggie is very much a part of my microscopy activities..but doggie can't grasp the niteface activities or NEAF meetings at all.

My Nikon S serial # is white lettered: 68092....what is the serial # of your stand?

When I dug my stand out of it's storage ( it is not my current workhorse/go to stand..I whisper this to not offend it)...I have it tricked out with: E Plan 10/ 0.25..160/ - , E Plan 20/ 0.4 ..160/ 0.17, Plan Fluor 40/ 0.75..160/ 0.17, and a LaboMed USA LP SemiPlan achro 60X / 0.85..160/ 0.17 ( thank you Fann for this excellent objective!).

I have Nikon China ( the actual specs embossed on these excellent oculars) CF WE 15X/12 oculars on this trinoc stand..my intrest in pond life prompted this configuration.

I sense you can aquire and enjoy upgrades to your NIkon S stand, David...but just as in astronomy hobby ( ah those Buffalo lake effect clouded lead skies until april-May often times, I attended undergrad at Buffalo State on Elmwood Ave...love chiken wings hot with cold Canadian beer)...but just as in astronomy hobby...I sense you will get a trinocular more adaptable ( phase contrast, dark field, bright field contrast methods) workhorse stand . I stayed with Nikon...enjoy my trinoc circa 1990's Labophot.

You have a lovely and elegant black enamel stand now..wonderful world views await you, and try for a comfortable chair and microscope workbench. Charlie Guevara, fingerlakes/NY
Attachments
IMG_0682 (1).JPG
IMG_0682 (1).JPG (243.11 KiB) Viewed 8045 times
IMG_0574 (1).JPG
IMG_0574 (1).JPG (196.82 KiB) Viewed 8405 times
IMG_0580 (1).JPG
IMG_0580 (1).JPG (188.55 KiB) Viewed 8405 times
IMG_0586 (1).JPG
IMG_0586 (1).JPG (248.56 KiB) Viewed 8405 times
Last edited by charlie g on Mon May 20, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billbillt

#7 Post by billbillt » Wed May 15, 2019 3:54 pm

LED'S ARE THE FUTURE FOR ALL LIGHTING.. GET USED TO IT.. INCANDESCENT LIGHTING OF ALL KINDS IS ON IT'S WAY OUT...

BILLT

dpreneta

#8 Post by dpreneta » Thu May 16, 2019 2:58 am

Charlie...Thanks for the lengthy and informative response.

My stand serial number is 67321 and the head 72090. The finish is in fantastic shape with only a few pinhead sized chips and scratches on the top edge of the base.

I've only seen one trinocular head for sale and the cost was way out of range for me. I'll still keep an eye out for one within the range I'll pay but I don't think they come up for sale too often. I know a trinocular is the way to go for digital imaging...but I'm guessing what I have is possible for good results if time and effort are taken.

The eyepieces and objectives that came with this scope are in beautiful condition...no chips or scratches, I tried the 100x oil and it worked great too. The E Plan objectives are the ones I've been looking at. They seen reasonable in cost for what I'm looking for since in only getting back into this and as I mentioned I have other hobbies that cost me as well.

My work room table is currently cluttered with another project so I just moved it to the kitchen for the pics. I'll set up a space for its use...and I have a comfortable chair as well.

I appreciate your pics as well...that's a nice looking scope with a good grouping of objectives and condenser.

David

zzffnn

#9 Post by zzffnn » Thu May 16, 2019 1:29 pm

David,

You can buy a teaching head attachment, then add a S series monocular head to one (of the two) head mount (the other head mount can receive a bino head) That would provide you a trinocular head too.

Note there is a G series mono head with smaller (less desirable for photography) bottom lens. Try not to get that one. S mono head has a clear bottom lens of about 17.5-18mm and is a better one for photography.

There would be a color mismatch, but most head parts from Labophot / Optiphot will fit on S series, and vice versa.

S series scope can focus with most 160 tube length objectives, from shot 33mm parfocal to 45mm parfocal ones. But note there are objectives with even longer parfocal height (say 60mm parfocal or 150mm parfocal height); those may not work on series S.

dpreneta

#10 Post by dpreneta » Thu May 16, 2019 3:07 pm

zzffnn....thanks for your input.

I've attached an image of a monocular head with photo tube for Nikon S...is than an option as well?

David
Attachments
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (10.02 KiB) Viewed 8325 times

dpreneta

#11 Post by dpreneta » Thu May 16, 2019 3:24 pm

zznnff...I also see this unit as well...indicated it works for Nikon s as well.
Attachments
Trinocular head 2.jpg
Trinocular head 2.jpg (170.22 KiB) Viewed 8322 times

Scarodactyl

#12 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu May 16, 2019 6:14 pm

The uw head is awesome on a labophot. You can sometimes score non uw labophot trinoc heads for 100 dollars or less on eBay (T and F heads are both good, the mechanics are a bit different). Also nice if you plan to move to a labophot in the future.

charlie g

#13 Post by charlie g » Thu May 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Hi David, that trinoc head you show is for circa 1980-90's Nikon Labophots ( me thinks).

I offer you extremely lowcost...after we first view fixed diatom slides, fixed radiolarian slides, fixed tissue slides, live wet-mount protist and meiofauna slides...with the offered objectives you might wish to aquire.

I offer a charming 'optical shoot out' of a China 60X objective ( perhaps useful as a paper weight in one's study?!!), a Nikon/China 60x/0.80, a Nikon/Japan Plan,0.85 (with correction collar), and a Nikon PlanApo 60/ 0.95 (with correction collar)…..the Nikon Plan 60/0.85, with correction collar is for sale.

I offer you to compare: 8X, 12.5X, 20X/12 Nikon Japan occulars...and to compare 20X/12 Nikon/China with the Nikon/Japan 20X occulars.

I offer to display..but not for sale a 'must have for microscopy' Nikon/Japan Plan 2/0.05, 160/-..objective.

I offer to display a (?hard to find?) Nikon Plan 100X. 0.90 dry/with correction collar , objective...for sale( I have another one of these gems for my microscopy).

I offer to display a Nikon Plan 100X/1.25 oil objective ( for sale).

A Nikon Plan 40/ 0.70 objective, for sale. a Nikon E Plan 10/0.25 LWD objective, for sale.

You already viewed the trinoc stand objectives I have for sale..in spirit of: 'bricks and mortar microscopy'...I can visit your Buffalo location for these 'objective optical shoot outs', for your enjoyment of upgrade optics on your Nikon stand...I have no need for my Nikon S trinoc stand ( please do not tell my family of stands my determination)...perhaps you might wish to aquire my trinoc Nikon S stand...low cost.

I have family in Buffalo, I have dear friends in Buffalo...it is no problem for me to visit with my Nikon optics to your Buffalo locale..to enjoy perhaps a 2 (two) microscopy display and hands on determination of , or if you wish to purchase Nikon optics...err, the Nikon S stand as well.

Please PM me if it makes sense for you, David...BTW, I'm a Buffalo Booster! Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/NY
Attachments
IMG_0933.JPG
IMG_0933.JPG (249.2 KiB) Viewed 8045 times
IMG_0618 (1).JPG
IMG_0618 (1).JPG (40.17 KiB) Viewed 8045 times
Last edited by charlie g on Mon May 20, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zzffnn

#14 Post by zzffnn » Fri May 17, 2019 12:54 am

David,

Both of those will mechanically fit on your S, but am not sure they are complete and functional (for example, is the head prism still perfectly aligned?). Also some trinocular heads do not offer simultaneous visual and camera viewing (I don't know which is which).

So it is probably better to try Charlie G's offer in person first.

MichaelG.

#15 Post by MichaelG. » Fri May 17, 2019 7:45 am

dpreneta wrote:I've attached an image of a monocular head with photo tube for Nikon S...
Thanks for posting that ... I had not seen one before.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

dpreneta

#16 Post by dpreneta » Sat May 18, 2019 1:24 am

Hello Charlie....I sent you a PM in response to your last post reply. Make sure to get back to me once you read it. Thanks again...David