My Zeiss Photomicroscope III

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Message
Author
User avatar
ImperatorRex
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:12 pm
Location: Germany, Karlsruhe
Contact:

Re: My Zeiss Photomicroscope III

#31 Post by ImperatorRex » Tue May 28, 2019 4:25 pm

Wes wrote:Hi Jochen,

Out of curiosity what would be a normal price range for a Stemi? I consider getting a stereoscope when my budget recovers from the DIC expenditure.

Wes
I only by second hand stuff. So I have bought for example my Zeiss Stemi III second hand (look here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5930#p53318) via the German Microscope Forum. It was in good condition and costed about 350 USD including Nikon wide field eyepieces with FOV 20. In ebay you would get it probably a bit cheaper, but you may do some own repairs, e.g. allignment of prisms and so on.
The later investment for the an Olympus SZH10 was much more costly (2000 USD) since it used apo chromatic objective. Hover still consider such price level as a bargain.

Wes
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:58 pm

Re: My Zeiss Photomicroscope III

#32 Post by Wes » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:20 pm

Merry Christmas to all members! I hope you, your family and your hobby are doing well.

After another annoying hiatus I am finally back to tinkering with my microscope. Before I had to freeze all of my microscopy related projects I acquired a Zeiss RSIII epifluorescent condenser. I had to adapt a few makeshift mirrors and filters but in the end it worked quite well. Fluorescent microscopy looks pretty alien to me, especially pond water.
Attachments
rsIII_3.jpg
rsIII_3.jpg (137.78 KiB) Viewed 268 times
rsIII_2.jpg
rsIII_2.jpg (111.49 KiB) Viewed 268 times
rsIII_1.jpg
rsIII_1.jpg (105.78 KiB) Viewed 268 times

Hobbyst46
Posts: 2243
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Re: My Zeiss Photomicroscope III

#33 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:54 pm

Congratulations, the setup looks very nice.
May I note that the "condenser" in epifluorescence is in fact the objective itself. So, I assume that the acquired part is the filter-cube carrier assembly and perhaps the field and iris apertures in the tube between the lamp and filter-cubes ? or just filter housing if they are not arranged in cubes ?
Zeiss Standard GFL+Canon EOS-M10, Olympus VMZ stereo

Wes
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:58 pm

Re: My Zeiss Photomicroscope III

#34 Post by Wes » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:33 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:54 pm
So, I assume that the acquired part is the filter-cube carrier assembly and perhaps the field and iris apertures in the tube between the lamp and filter-cubes ? or just filter housing if they are not arranged in cubes ?
Thanks Hobbyst46. According to the Zeiss manual the condenser includes the field+iris apertures, filter housing and objective turret but I see your point about the objective being a condenser in its own right. There are no individual cubes but rather a block with 4 slots for the filters and mirrors. Because my filters don't fit I add the barrier in the filter slot below the optovar and the excitation filter goes in front of the filter house (there is plenty of space to place filters there but requires a simple adapter to keep it in place).

Sabatini
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:09 am

Re: My Zeiss Photomicroscope III

#35 Post by Sabatini » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:17 am

Learn a lote, beautiful .... :shock:

Hobbyst46
Posts: 2243
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Re: My Zeiss Photomicroscope III

#36 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:19 am

Wes wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:20 pm
...
Two questions if I may:
1. Which lamp is installed in the epi-illuminator ? Hg, Xe or halogen ?
2. I notice that you placed the microscope on a thick spongy-styrofoam-like board. Is it to protect the bench/desk surface from the metal underneath of the scope, or vibration dampening ? the scope itself must be very heavy ...
Zeiss Standard GFL+Canon EOS-M10, Olympus VMZ stereo

Wes
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:58 pm

Re: My Zeiss Photomicroscope III

#37 Post by Wes » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:00 am

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:19 am
Wes wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:20 pm
...
Two questions if I may:
1. Which lamp is installed in the epi-illuminator ? Hg, Xe or halogen ?
2. I notice that you placed the microscope on a thick spongy-styrofoam-like board. Is it to protect the bench/desk surface from the metal underneath of the scope, or vibration dampening ? the scope itself must be very heavy ...
The epi-illuminator is a 12V 100W tungsten halogen lamp. As for the styrofoam pad it does neither, I mean I guess it protects the table and probably dampens some vibrations but the reason its there is to help me slide the microscope across the table (to free up space or turn the microscope in order to exchange parts). The microscope is quite heavy yes, I can lift it with one hand but its not trivial.

MicroBob
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:11 am

Re: My Zeiss Photomicroscope III

#38 Post by MicroBob » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:22 am

Hi together,
as I understand it the field aperture (with centering) is located at the back of the III RS. It can also be moved a bit front an back. My Phomi I should have an epi lighting aperture that can be slipped into the round seat in the column but I don't have this rare part. I haven't investigated the field aperture thoroughly so far but just kept it open with good result.

Bob
Attachments
Leuchtfeldblende 3RS.jpg
Leuchtfeldblende 3RS.jpg (24.5 KiB) Viewed 210 times

Post Reply