Cleaning Lenses

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
microb

Cleaning Lenses

#1 Post by microb » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:22 am

So I'm told that micro-fibers are bad for lenses with coatings. After a while the center of the lens has the coating worn away. So Kimwipes are used and won't hurt the coatings. They come in a convenient tissue box. Labs like them because you can buy a bunch for cheap. DP's on set like them because of the box, and they tape the edges with gaffer tape so they take punishment being thrown into carry bags.

One person says that if the tissue sticking out of the box has been there for a while, just throw it. Consider it protection for the subsequent ones.

Anyway, as a lens cleaning process, roll one tissue loosely, fold it, and rip off the rolled ends leaving a ragged edged brush that can be used for gently cleaning a lens.

The setups are pictured here:
Attachments
lenscleaning.jpg
lenscleaning.jpg (38.14 KiB) Viewed 1520 times

75RR

Re: Cleaning Lenses

#2 Post by 75RR » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:59 am

One person says that if the tissue sticking out of the box has been there for a while, just throw it. Consider it protection for the subsequent ones.
Agree. First tissue is a potential disaster due to accumulated 'dust'. I keep my Kimwipe box in a ziplock plastic bag.

A Kimwipe first tissue should make for an interesting article (with photos) for the Mic-Uk magazine.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)