Nikon E400 with many accessories, anyone have any idea what it's worth?

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
WilliamsDiatoms

Nikon E400 with many accessories, anyone have any idea what it's worth?

#1 Post by WilliamsDiatoms » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:06 pm

Hi all

First time poster, long time diatom enthusiast. I am considering selling my Nikon E400 microscope and accessories as part of a downsize. Having searched the internet and eBay, I am having difficulty finding consistent prices for second hand E400s. For example, there is currently a beat up (heavily scratched) E400 with one objective for sale on eBay, priced at £788. However, I have also seen E400s for sale at ca. £2000 in good condition with fewer objectives and accessories.

I am a bit stumped when it comes to putting a price on all of this. Of course, I know what I have paid for everything over the years but I have no idea if the deals I got were good or bad. This microscope has always been a work horse and saw me through my PhD. So with that in mind, I wanted to draw on the boards collective knowledge and ask if anyone has any idea what all of this might be worth to a collector/academic, or if there are periodic price guides that I could turn to (much like there is in the antique or vintage guitar worlds).

Here is a list of everything that I would be selling (and it makes sense for it to go together):
Nikon Eclipse E400 microscope w/ C-C Phase Contrast condenser
10x, 20x, 40x, 100x Plan Phase Contrast objectives
100x Plan Flour objective
10x Plan objective
2x CFI 10x/22 eyepieces
2x CFI 12.5x/16 eyepieces
1x CF1 10x/22 eyepiece with 10 mm (100 divisions) graticule (can be removed and placed in 12.5x/16 eyepiece)
Green filter
Blue filter
Y-IDP double port
Martin Microscope Company MDSLR c-mount adapter (used in conjunction with the Y-IDP for photomicrography using Nikon DSLR)
Ergonomic binocular tube
2x Y-IER eye level risers
Phase telescope (to adjust condenser annulus)

Any advice you are able to offer is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Attachments
E400.jpeg
E400.jpeg (133.2 KiB) Viewed 4526 times

75RR

Re: Nikon E400 with many accessories, anyone have any idea what it's worth?

#2 Post by 75RR » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:10 pm

What you want to check are the Ebay sold listings

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw= ... Complete=1
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

KurtM

#3 Post by KurtM » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:50 am

I was hoping to see this generate some discussion, as I have pretty much the same question going myself: I also happen to be a diatom enthusiast with a complete E400 stand that needs a new home. I take it OP is in the UK; I am in the States.

I fear no "pre-owned name brand" microscope ever sells for what it's worth, which is good news for buyers, if not so much for sellers. The trick to something like this getting a halfway decent price is getting the message across that it's a "turn-key" stand, complete, and 100% functional, along with assurance of liberal return policy.

I wish I had more in the way of answers, but I'm mostly here looking for same. At least I can bump this thread and keep it alive another day. Where's Pete when we need him?
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

lorez

#4 Post by lorez » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:11 am

You have what appears to be a very nice instrument. I've had some experience with the E400 and phase objectives and believe that they are great objectives which produce very fine images.

The positive side are the objectives; the negative side is the stand. The objectives can be used on later model stands, should the need arise, but the stand is obsolete so any repair parts are going to come from a donor stand. There are aftermarket illuminators for the dreaded time that the original fails so that's a good thing.

I think you can expect a good price for your scope, but I don't know anything of your local circumstances.

lorez

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:12 am

The trick to something like this getting a halfway decent price is getting the message across that it's a "turn-key" stand, complete, and 100% functional, along with assurance of liberal return policy.
This is a good point. Emphasis should be placed that this is not an overpriced potentially dodgy "comes from a working lab" microscope sold by an auction reseller but one from a good home.

Examples of the quality images that it is capable of producing will also help, as will a detailed explanation of how simple it will be for the new owner to connect their camera to it if it is a Nikon, and perhaps a photo or link showing what exactly is needed for other brands.

In other words you need to be selling "peace of mind" as well.

On a more prosaic level some mention of what the microscope is worth as parts might encourage the bargain hunter that resides in all of us.
Last edited by 75RR on Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

photomicro

#6 Post by photomicro » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:41 am

I have sent a PM about this, but I am not sure the poster can receive these until they have had more posts.

Any ideas anyone, is this true?

thanks

Mike

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:55 am

I have sent a PM about this, but I am not sure the poster can receive these until they have had more posts.
New members can receive PMs when they join. Not sure of the period or what the exact reasons are to be able to send.

If one wishes to communicate with a new member it is best to send them one's email by PM.

WilliamsDiatoms

#8 Post by WilliamsDiatoms » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:55 am

Hi photomicro

I tried to reply but get 'We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more in discussions to be able to use this feature.'

To answer your questions, yes I am based in the Uk and yes I am also a diatom enthusiast. I worked on a PhD looking at marine diatoms so my interest was originally academic, but they are beautiful creatures and I now photograph (micrograph) them for my own pleasure.

To everyone else, thank you for the advice. Lots of reassurance and demonstrations of the quality of the objectives and imaging then. Thank you