Zeiss Jena LgOG1

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Tribo

Zeiss Jena LgOG1

#1 Post by Tribo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:18 pm

My Zeiss Jena LgOG1
(Myself new to microscopy)

The microscope had an earlier life at an educational institution in Oranienburg, Germany as number 7. Then somehow ended up at a german fleamarket, brought out of Germany and after some time placed on the online market and subsequently brought to my doorstep.

Have most likely had a quiet life, not many scratches. Movable above the square mechanical stage but mostly static below. Solidified oil/grease.
Seems like someone has used to much force on one of the delicate screws controlling the square mechanical stage. Time will show.

No sooner than just becoming a member MicroBob were there providing valuable help and documentation for solving the 'solidified' problem. Much appreciated.
As received
As received
Zeiss Jena LgOG1.jpg (32.48 KiB) Viewed 7683 times
It came in a cabinet:
LgOG1 Cabinet
LgOG1 Cabinet
LgOG1 Cabinet.jpg (40.1 KiB) Viewed 7683 times
Wonder what equipment the two installed 'holders' left and upper right were ment for?
LgOG1 Cabinet loose lock part
LgOG1 Cabinet loose lock part
LgOG1 Cabinet loose lock part..jpg (15.87 KiB) Viewed 7683 times
Wonder what the missing key looked like? I should try to get/make a new one!
LgOG1 Huygenian eyepieces
LgOG1 Huygenian eyepieces
LgOG1 Huygenian eyepieces.jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 7683 times
LgOG1 Tools
LgOG1 Tools
LgOG1 Tools.jpg (36.17 KiB) Viewed 7683 times
Where to use the four small Tools at the right?
Where and how to use the "stützplatte"?
I know how to use the distance part for the light system but are in need of the light source itself, (probably from the german ebay).
Tribo

MicroBob

Re: Zeiss Jena LgOG1

#2 Post by MicroBob » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:52 am

Hi Armann,
you've got a very nice microscope there! That box is quite luxuriously made and wasn't cheap when new. Zeiss had from early on an own cabinet shop for these boxes and for crating for shipping.
The very first microscope from Zeiss was sold in 1846 to Hermann Schacht, Hamburg, so the products were sold in a wide area from the beginning on. "Germany" was an assembly of small states at this time with borders to cross and a long travel over bumpy roads.

About these tools I'm not completely sure. The box looks more like one for the bigger Lumipan or NG or NF.
The sheet metal tools are probably to adjust tension on the condenser adjustment or to change condenser holders on the research models. The slender tool will have been used for adjustments on a condenser, probably for phase contrast.

Right now I have little access to my micro stuff, but I try to remeber and look for a key for the box and post a picture with scale. This will have been a very simple shape.

Bob

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:41 pm

Having failed to OCR the image of the Stützplatte
IMG_3059.JPG
IMG_3059.JPG (16.23 KiB) Viewed 7625 times
We [thanks for your help, MrsG.] transcribed it as best we could.

Loosely translated, it reads:

Please note !

This support plate must be re-used if the instrument is to be shipped at a later date.
Therefore, (in cabinet, bottom right) a place is provided for this to be kept.

But I'm sure German-speaking members can do better !!

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:58 am

Hi Michael,
your translation is wonderful, I had overlooked this part of the question, sorry.
The text omits one important point: What is the Stützplatte = support plate goo dfor?
It will have been used to support either coarse or more probably the fine focus adjustment.
One important novelty of the LG over the older horseshoe instruments was the horizontal stage that is moved by the fine adjustment instead of the tube. In combination with the inclined tube this give a very nice ergonomic and attatchments at the eyepiece don't hve to be readjusted when fine focus is moved. The disadvantage is that the heavy table leans on a fine clockwork that could break when the instrument suffers a shock in transport. The Stützplatte will fit somewhere under the table and support it when the table is moved against it.

Three important things (Zur Beachtung! :lol: ):

- Instuments, boxes and accessories often get mixed up, especially when institutions clear out
- The Stützplatte only works when the instrument is screwed down to the base plate of the box
- Never trust a microscope box for shipping! The box itself might hold up, but the wooden bits inside are usually only fixed by glue and have long been loosened from wood shrinking and expanding. When shipping always fill the box with tightly pressed newspaper until it nearly explodes.

Does your box have diagonal cut finger joints at the corners? Zeiss Jena had a series of very nice boxes.

Bob

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:28 am

MicroBob wrote:... The Stützplatte will fit somewhere under the table and support it when the table is moved against it.

Three important things (Zur Beachtung! :lol: ):
:D ... and that raises an interesting 'human factors' point, Bob

Zeiss provided entirely adequate instructions for the first recipient of the instrument [which would obviously have been properly packed by Zeiss] ... but those instructions alone are not sufficient for future users.

Hopefully, somewhere, there will be a picture that illustrates the microscope properly packed in its box ... and thanks to this forum, that essential detail can be shared.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:43 am

MicroBob wrote:...Does your box have diagonal cut finger joints at the corners? Zeiss Jena had a series of very nice boxes.
I suspect that the practice of dovetail joints (or square teeth joints) is being phased out in carpentery, even in furniture (except maybe in luxury furniture), and is being replaced by wooden dowels (at best) or just screws and glue. The small wooden box for my first kid's microscope (a Japanese one) was constructed with dovetail joints, and not even a single nail or screw.

MicroBob

#7 Post by MicroBob » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:27 am

Hi Doron,
the box for my NF has diagonally cut finger joints, not dovetail joints. This looks nice and may be a bit better than ordinary finger joints, but is not as strong as dovetails are.
Rough dovetailing was common practice for crating until the 1950s, at least here in Germany. The economical side depends on the craftmanship and the type of wood. My father still was quite quick at dovetailing.

Bob

MichaelG.

#8 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:15 pm

This may be of interest, for background information:
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... zeiss.html

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#9 Post by MicroBob » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:31 pm

The René van Wezels picture of the box proves that I was wrong, the wooden holders at the bottom of the box would just fit a microscope with a flat foot like the LG. The NG shown by René van Wezel was the successor of the LG with the addition of inbuilt illumination. The LG still has to be used from the column side of the stand like a horseshoe microscope. The NG can be used from the open side which became more fashionable at this time.

Bob

Tribo

#10 Post by Tribo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:34 pm

MicroBob wrote: Does your box have diagonal cut finger joints at the corners? Zeiss Jena had a series of very nice boxes.

Bob
Yes, nicely cut.
Zeiss Jena LgOG1 - Edge of cabinet
Zeiss Jena LgOG1 - Edge of cabinet
Zeiss Jena LgOG1 - edge of cabinet.jpg (41.24 KiB) Viewed 7492 times
Tribo

Tribo

#11 Post by Tribo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:43 am

Zeiss Jena LgOG1 - 'Stützplatte'

Could this be the correct use?
Zeiss Jena LgOG1 - Stutzplatte
Zeiss Jena LgOG1 - Stutzplatte
Zeiss Jena LgOG1 - Use of Stützplatte .jpg (56.2 KiB) Viewed 7491 times
The 'Stützplatte' fits exactly between the microscope and the sliding door and would prevent the microscope to move.

I was 'just' able to lower and raise the sliding door.

(Bottom part of the sliding door is loose and can be seen laying too the left inside the cabinet)
Tribo

MichaelG.

#12 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:23 am

That looks pretty reasonable to me

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#13 Post by MicroBob » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:28 pm

Tribo wrote:
Could this be the correct use?
Hi Armann, I think you found the right place. There is nothing else to keep the microscope from moving forward. At the same time it supports the coarse adjustment.
Your box is joined similarly to mine for the NF. I think though that my box is made from some kind of hard wood, ash perhaps, have to take a closer look.

Bob