Looking for diatom slides for objective testing.

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Wes

Looking for diatom slides for objective testing.

#1 Post by Wes » Tue May 28, 2019 6:50 am

What would be a reliable source of diatom slides? Basically what I need is an assortment of diatoms with an increasingly intricate shell to use as a test subject when evaluating objectives.

Wes
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

MichaelG.

Re: Looking for diatom slides for objective testing.

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Tue May 28, 2019 8:28 am

Klaus Kemp
8 form Test Plate
http://www.diatoms.co.uk/pg.htm

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Tue May 28, 2019 9:46 am

+1
Very nice guy as well
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Wes

#4 Post by Wes » Tue May 28, 2019 6:49 pm

Thanks, I emailed him. This is precisely what I was looking for!
Youtube channel

charlie g

#5 Post by charlie g » Wed May 29, 2019 5:14 pm

I have strong appreciation of diatom slides, radiolarian slides which I purchased from Stephano's lab in Italy. Please give a look to this microscoppists lab for your needs...price point is very sweet! Charlie guevara
Attachments
DSCN4323 (1).JPG
DSCN4323 (1).JPG (316.4 KiB) Viewed 8341 times

Wes

#6 Post by Wes » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:43 pm

I got my 8 form test plate and it looks very interesting, I only wanted it to test objectives but now I want to make my own diatom slides. It just looks so appealing somehow. I also checked the Italian website and it sounds very professional.

Is there a good starting guide to cleaning and mounting diatoms?
Attachments
Navicula_lyra.jpg
Navicula_lyra.jpg (361.75 KiB) Viewed 7867 times
Youtube channel

Hobbyst46

#7 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:51 pm

Wes wrote:I got my 8 form test plate and it looks very interesting, I only wanted it to test objectives but now I want to make my own diatom slides. It just looks so appealing somehow. I also checked the Italian website and it sounds very professional.

Is there a good starting guide to cleaning and mounting diatoms?
There are zillion starting points. But it mostly dependes on working safely with chemicals, some of them are hazardous. It is easily done if you are not a perfectionist. Forum members Charles and rnabholz presented beautiful detailed posts about them in 2016/2017. Look for "Doing diatoms" and "doing diatoms a different way" threads.

The photo of the Navicula is beautiful, please provide details - what microscope, objectives, illumination etc. Thanks in advance.

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:50 pm

Look for "Doing diatoms" and "doing diatoms a different way" threads.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4227
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MicroBob

#9 Post by MicroBob » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi Wes,
classic diatom cleaning methods involve the use of concentrated sulfuric and nitric acid and hydrogenperoxide. If you are an old lab rat and use stuff like this to clean your dishes - no problem. If you don't know why these chemicals are harder to get today - better stay away. It is also a question of life circumstances. Whith children or other causes of turbulences in the houshold (like the mother of the children :lol: ) it is much less safe than if you have a tidy chemical lab with a lab vent and where everything has it's place.
Hobbyst46 and I wrote a couple of posts about diatom cleaning with several halfway safe methods in the near past. Here you can download a presentation in german language I used to present the topic of easy diatom cleaning at a group meeting: http://www.mikrohamburg.de/Programm/Pro ... 170917.pdf
The conclusion so far is for me that you have to make compromises when you want to stay away from the hard methods, but that they should be good enough for many amateurs.

Bob

Wes

#10 Post by Wes » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:54 am

Many thanks everyone for pointing me to the threads and guides. I have some idea of lab safety rules and working with dangerous stuff like radioactive materials and strong acids so I can try a few different things.
Hobbyst46 wrote:The photo of the Navicula is beautiful, please provide details - what microscope, objectives, illumination etc. Thanks in advance.
Thanks Hobbyst46, this was done with my Phomi using the Zeiss Jena 40/0.95 apo objective with an unmatched Zeiss West 63/1.4 DIC slider (the combo works but results in a strong gradient)
MicroBob wrote:Whith children or other causes of turbulences in the houshold (like the mother of the children :lol: )
That gave me a good laugh :lol: :lol: Moving the Phomi with its enormous footprint to its current location resulted in a dramatic exchange with my wife (things cooled down after I showed her a how amazing diatoms and protozoans are).
Youtube channel