Hi from South Africa

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Melch

Hi from South Africa

#1 Post by Melch » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:11 am

Hi

I recently got my first microscopes. A Carl Zeiss standard with an epi fluorescence attachment and a Nikon optiphot with phase contrast condenser. I picked them up for quite a good deal but they have been standing open in an warehouse for at least the last two years so need a really good clean and some TLC.

I have already found a a lot of useful information on the forum as well as the microbehunter website and podcast and look forward to learning more from the community.

Hobbyst46

Re: Hi from South Africa

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:40 am

Melch wrote:Hi

I recently got my first microscopes. A Carl Zeiss standard with an epi fluorescence attachment and a Nikon optiphot with phase contrast condenser. I picked them up for quite a good deal but they have been standing open in an warehouse for at least the last two years so need a really good clean and some TLC.

I have already found a a lot of useful information on the forum as well as the microbehunter website and podcast and look forward to learning more from the community.
Congratulations! There are important safety measures to observe with the Zeiss fluorescense illumination.

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:15 pm

Hi Melch, welcome
A Carl Zeiss standard with an epi fluorescence attachment and a Nikon optiphot with phase contrast condenser.
Nice start! Do post some photos of them in the My Microscope section.

This should help with the cleaning: https://microscopy.duke.edu/sites/micro ... scsope.pdf
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Dave S

#4 Post by Dave S » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:03 am

Hi, and welcome.
Suffolk, UK

NK7Z

#5 Post by NK7Z » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:52 pm

Hello from another new person... Nice group here.
Thanks and 73,
Dave
NK7Z
https://www.nk7z.net

Melch

#6 Post by Melch » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:30 am

Hobbyst46 wrote:

There are important safety measures to observe with the Zeiss fluorescense illumination.
Thanks for the warning about the safety issues. I have read about that elsewhere but still need to find out more on this and the required precautions.

Melch

#7 Post by Melch » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:31 am

75RR wrote:Hi Melch, welcome

This should help with the cleaning: https://microscopy.duke.edu/sites/micro ... scsope.pdf
Thanks for the link. That looks very useful.

Hobbyst46

#8 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:34 am

Melch wrote:
Hobbyst46 wrote:

There are important safety measures to observe with the Zeiss fluorescense illumination.
Thanks for the warning about the safety issues. I have read about that elsewhere but still need to find out more on this and the required precautions.
I am guessing that the lamp is a high pressure mercury lamp, 50 or 100W or 150W perhaps a Xenon lamp, 75W, those are ubiquitous.

First, these lamps emit UV (they are also extremely bright), so never look directly at the beam. It takes several minutes for the lamp to reach its full power after turned on. Install a UV shield below the eyepieces. Have a pair of UV-protective goggles or eyeglasses ready, in the case when bulb alignment is required (usually only after bulb replacement). For focusing, an image of the bulb is formed by projection on a wall or screen, at a distance of ~2m.

Second, never touch the lamp after it has been turned off, before it cooled down to near room temperature. They are sensitive and tend to explode in extreeme cases. Also, never touch the bulb with bare fingers. Use gloves or wrap the bulb with a paper wipe. Avoid mechanical shocks to the bulb.