Help Identify Gram Negative Cocci Please

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
TouchMyCocci

Help Identify Gram Negative Cocci Please

#1 Post by TouchMyCocci » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Had a rash that doctors said was atopic dermatitis, no avail for treatment, grew samples on agar from rashes, not sure what it is?

I was expecting staph aureus, most common in AD. But the gram test shows gram negative as it took fuchsin but not crystal violet.

I attached a photo, sorry its the best I can get with my microscope camera.

Any help with identification would be appreciated, please don't say go to a doctor I've literally seen a minimum of 8 and none of them have had anything more to say than steroid creams which don't work. Thanks!

TouchMyCocci

Re: Help Identify Gram Negative Cocci Please

#2 Post by TouchMyCocci » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:44 pm

On agar it is opaque clear growths.

The rashes are behind knees.

Sauerkraut

#3 Post by Sauerkraut » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:59 pm

According to the rules, this is not a site that gives medical advice. You could possibly try crowdmed.com

TouchMyCocci

#4 Post by TouchMyCocci » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:14 pm

Sauerkraut wrote:According to the rules, this is not a site that gives medical advice. You could possibly try crowdmed.com
I'm not asking for medical advice just bacteria identification.

admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by admin » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:21 pm

Hello,
It is not possible to identify bacteria based on microscopic observation alone. Totally unrelated bacteria can have the same shape and bacteria that are related might have different shapes. For identification of the bacteria, you need to do either a DNA study or a biochemical analysis of the cell components. I worked 1.5 years in the lab identifying bacteria and it is not easy.

https://youtu.be/r7MIp58Fb1w

I can tell you that they are cocci, which essentially means that they are round bacteria. But this you already know anyway.

Also be aware that Gram staining results might differ based on whether the culture is old or young. You can not identify bacteria all the way to the species level (eg. Staph. aureus) by looking at them.

Oliver
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.
(Bertrand Russell)

zzffnn

#6 Post by zzffnn » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Sorry to be blunt, but no professional would be willing to ID based on photos. If you know how to do proper culture and gram staining, then you should know such ID is not possible from images.

I am also not sure if your culture was contaminated by other bacteria (such a culture should be done in near sterile condition).

A search from the internet will tell you:

1) atopic dermatitis is commonly treated as uncontrolled immune (over) reaction, not as an infection; you are currently getting the standard treatment (topical steroids) for AD;

2) you can try to find a doctor who is willing to do a culture for you, and maybe along with test for blood IgE level and immune deficiencies;

3) there are more aggressive and expensive treatments (Immunosuppressants) available, but they may hurt your body much more than helping you (they produce severe side effects that may kill you); only a doctor can tell you for sure;

4) a few home treatments / management options were mentioned online, but I don't know if they would help you or not:

Diluted bleach bath (you should find out yourself how much to dilute);

Using soft clothing (eg, cotton) next to the skin; wool products should be avoided

Maintaining mild temperatures, particularly at night

Using a humidifier (cool mist) in both winter and summer

Washing clothes in a mild detergent, with no bleach or fabric softener

Avoiding specific foods as appropriate if there is concomitant food allergy.
Last edited by zzffnn on Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TouchMyCocci

#7 Post by TouchMyCocci » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:34 pm

admin wrote:Hello,
It is not possible to identify bacteria based on microscopic observation alone. Totally unrelated bacteria can have the same shape and bacteria that are related might have different shapes. For identification of the bacteria, you need to do either a DNA study or a biochemical analysis of the cell components. I worked 1.5 years in the lab identifying bacteria and it is not easy.

https://youtu.be/r7MIp58Fb1w

I can tell you that they are cocci, which essentially means that they are round bacteria. But this you already know anyway.

Also be aware that Gram staining results might differ based on whether the culture is old or young. You can not identify bacteria all the way to the species level (eg. Staph. aureus) by looking at them.

Oliver
Thank you so much! I will look in to this.

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:59 pm

zzffnn
You sure your comments don't constitute medical advice? ... they do seem to.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Wes

#9 Post by Wes » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:04 pm

Don't panic, I think zzffnn is a doctor (but not sure of what exactly)
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

zzffnn

#10 Post by zzffnn » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:46 pm

The wording that I used in my previous post should be obvious enough to reveal that I was only summarizing relevant information that can be found online by most people. The OP should determine by himself or herself if such information is accurate or not.

Even a licensed phycian would not provide "medical advice" over a forum from reading a few forum posts. Many people would be die from that, if that is the case.

Likewise, no bacteria ID can be done without a proper professional test (gene sequencing and/or species specific antigen/protein test). There is a good chance a home culture is contaminated by bacteria from fingers or elsewhere from the environment.