Do you think that this is a fair comparation between this two microscope (Bx46 and Axio Lab A1)?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
LUISFERN21

Do you think that this is a fair comparation between this two microscope (Bx46 and Axio Lab A1)?

#1 Post by LUISFERN21 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:15 pm

Hi I´m thinking on buying a microscope. I used a guide for choosing the model, the device is gonna be used in a laboratory so I choose models in the advanced list in the attached guide. I pick BX46 and Axio lab A1 and I ask for prices trying that both devices have the same specs. BX46 it´s 10.5 k USD and Axio lab A1 it´s 7.1 k USD. The prices are not equal so I don´t know If I´m wrong, I´m thinking maybe BX46 It´s a high end microscope and the Axio lab A1 it´s a mid range (sorta) microscope. So I´d like a little help from you with this topic.
Thanks in advance!
Attachments
A guide for microscopes.pdf
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 211 times

75RR

Re: Do you think that this is a fair comparation between this two microscope (Bx46 and Axio Lab A1)?

#2 Post by 75RR » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:45 pm

What do the people in your Lab that will be using the microscopes have to say? They should have a good idea of what they need and therefore what microscope will be adequate.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Wes

Re: Do you think that this is a fair comparation between this two microscope (Bx46 and Axio Lab A1)?

#3 Post by Wes » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:42 pm

What would be the purpose of your microscopic observations? Are you going to look at histological sections, fluid smears, counting cells, fluorescence studies etc?
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

LUISFERN21

#4 Post by LUISFERN21 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:09 pm

Wes wrote:What would be the purpose of your microscopic observations? Are you going to look at histological sections, fluid smears, counting cells, fluorescence studies etc?
Immunology and hematology area in the lab.

Hobbyst46

#5 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:35 pm

The order of magnitude of the prices seems logical, assuming they are brand-new end include at least some optics.
Does any of the two quotations include software ? perhaps one of them is bundled with dedicated image analysis software ? or camera ? microscope cameras from the 4-four tend to be pricey (and excellent).

LUISFERN21

#6 Post by LUISFERN21 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:32 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:The order of magnitude of the prices seems logical, assuming they are brand-new end include at least some optics.
Does any of the two quotations include software ? perhaps one of them is bundled with dedicated image analysis software ? or camera ? microscope cameras from the 4-four tend to be pricey (and excellent).
No optics, software nor cameras. Both are trinocular.

Hobbyst46

#7 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:48 pm

I am guessing that the lab does not own (yet) glass components for the scopes, and is planning to add them later (?). In that case, I would inquire about the price including all - eyepieces, objectives, condenser and camera, because it is possible that the price difference will be smaller for the whole package.

For a bare Olympus BX46, the 10.5K is a very high price tag IMO, though.

Scarodactyl

#8 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:53 pm

Are you going to be buying through a dealer(s)? For that price you might be able to have someone get hands on with one before buying (not entirely sure, especially with some of the big 4 apparently doing less with dealers?). Might be worth a shot anyway. That doesn't help with longer-term issues of course.

LUISFERN21

#9 Post by LUISFERN21 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:57 pm

LUISFERN21 wrote:
Hobbyst46 wrote:The order of magnitude of the prices seems logical, assuming they are brand-new end include at least some optics.
No optics, software nor cameras. Both are trinocular.
I´m sorry optics are included and Camera, software is for later. It is indeed gonna be buyed through a authorized dealer from Olympus and Carl Seizz respectively. I have to say that in my country some company does not sell directily some devices.
Hobbyst46 wrote:I am guessing that the lab does not own (yet) glass components for the scopes, and is planning to add them later (?). In that case, I would inquire about the price including all - eyepieces, objectives, condenser and camera, because it is possible that the price difference will be smaller for the whole package.

For a bare Olympus BX46, the 10.5K is a very high price tag IMO, though.
I´ll ask this you´re right.

Tom Jones

#10 Post by Tom Jones » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:22 am

Call the Olympus and Zeiss reps and have them bring out a demo of the scopes you are considering, and leave it/them for a week or two so you and your techs can see how you like it. Ask them what they would recommend, too. Get a bid on what you want. It will probably be for less than list.

I don't know about Zeiss, but Olympus quit using dealers years ago.

I have no experience with Zeiss reps, but the Olympus folks were always willing to bring a demo scope if we were thinking of upgrading. We used them for routine work for a week or two to see how well we liked them, and if the workflow requirements or ergonomics caused problems. Everyone had a chance to try them out and comment.

Tom

LUISFERN21

#11 Post by LUISFERN21 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:51 am

Tom Jones wrote:Call the Olympus and Zeiss reps and have them bring out a demo of the scopes you are considering, and leave it/them for a week or two so you and your techs can see how you like it. Ask them what they would recommend, too. Get a bid on what you want. It will probably be for less than list.

I don't know about Zeiss, but Olympus quit using dealers years ago.

I have no experience with Zeiss reps, but the Olympus folks were always willing to bring a demo scope if we were thinking of upgrading. We used them for routine work for a week or two to see how well we liked them, and if the workflow requirements or ergonomics caused problems. Everyone had a chance to try them out and comment.

Tom
That´s a great idea, I´ll do that thanks all of you gave me some great ideas

PeteM

#12 Post by PeteM » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:44 am

Pretty sure the Olympus (BX46) pays a bit more attention to (at least Olympus' notion of) ergonomics. Squeezes the condenser/phase/polarization area under the stage to give a very low profile over a bench and has a costly head that will put the eyepieces most anywhere a 5% or 95% adult might want them. That at least partly explains the difference in list price. Someone using a scope for hours each day (as in clinical work) might find that of benefit. Others might find that some combination of adjustable bench and seating would get them just as comfortable. Anyhow, Tom's suggestion of using the scopes for an extended period surely makes sense.

Naturally the choice of even a single high end objective could, by itself, be a $2-3K difference over plain plan achromats.

LUISFERN21

#13 Post by LUISFERN21 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:53 pm

PeteM wrote:Pretty sure the Olympus (BX46) pays a bit more attention to (at least Olympus' notion of) ergonomics. Squeezes the condenser/phase/polarization area under the stage to give a very low profile over a bench and has a costly head that will put the eyepieces most anywhere a 5% or 95% adult might want them. That at least partly explains the difference in list price. Someone using a scope for hours each day (as in clinical work) might find that of benefit. Others might find that some combination of adjustable bench and seating would get them just as comfortable. Anyhow, Tom's suggestion of using the scopes for an extended period surely makes sense.

Naturally the choice of even a single high end objective could, by itself, be a $2-3K difference over plain plan achromats.
Objectives in Carl zeiss (It has IC²S) are
Objective A-plan 5x/0,12 M27
Objective A-plan 10x/0,25 M27
Objective A-plan 100x/1.25 oil M27

Olympus plan achromat objectives
4X, 10X,
40X, 100X .

PeteM

#14 Post by PeteM » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:53 pm

LUISFERN21 wrote:
PeteM wrote:Pretty sure the Olympus (BX46) pays a bit more attention to (at least Olympus' notion of) ergonomics. Squeezes the condenser/phase/polarization area under the stage to give a very low profile over a bench and has a costly head that will put the eyepieces most anywhere a 5% or 95% adult might want them. That at least partly explains the difference in list price. Someone using a scope for hours each day (as in clinical work) might find that of benefit. Others might find that some combination of adjustable bench and seating would get them just as comfortable. Anyhow, Tom's suggestion of using the scopes for an extended period surely makes sense.

4X, 10X,
40X, 100X .
Surely there's a 40x with the Zeiss as well? Otherwise comparable mid-range objectives.

LUISFERN21

#15 Post by LUISFERN21 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:18 pm

PeteM wrote:
LUISFERN21 wrote:

4X, 10X,
40X, 100X .
Surely there's a 40x with the Zeiss as well? Otherwise comparable mid-range objectives.
Yes!! I miss that.