purchased nikon alphaphot 2...dual headed adapter/bridge available??

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
pupster

purchased nikon alphaphot 2...dual headed adapter/bridge available??

#1 Post by pupster » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:13 pm

Just purchased a used one for $115 to review slides for an exam. Now realizing that it would be better to have a dual headed microscope so I can review w/ my tutor more easily (instead of swapping heads). Would also like a laser arrow. Is there such an option for the alphaphot 2? From what I gather, I should have purchased a labophot or optophot instead, as these are infinity-corrected microscopes, as opposed to finite/fixed optical microscropes, but what's done is done....

Scarodactyl

Re: purchased nikon alphaphot 2...dual headed adapter/bridge available??

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:40 pm

The -phot microscopes are all finite, and the heads and head accessories across the alphaphot, orthophot and labophot are all compatible.

pupster

#3 Post by pupster » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:08 am

Scarodactyl wrote:The -phot microscopes are all finite, and the heads and head accessories across the alphaphot, orthophot and labophot are all compatible.
oh awesome...so even though a lot of items i see on ebay say "for labophot or optiphot," i can just buy them?

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:50 am

Scarodactyl wrote:The -phot microscopes are all finite, and the heads and head accessories across the alphaphot, orthophot and labophot are all compatible.
This is what I remember too, though I am only 99% sure about it. Heads of Labophot, Optiphot and Nikon S are compatible for sure, as I have had all of those (but I have not used an Alphyphot).

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:43 am

Dual head adapters are fairly common and affordable used for Nikon finite. However, the binocular heads end up pretty close and with not the best ergonomics for the most common adapter. For the same money, you can get one of several Nikon trinocular heads. Drop in an eyepiece camera and add a small monitor and you could still easily discuss things with your tutor - and maybe even take notes with the image attached.

My understanding is that the heads and eyepieces that came with the Alphaphot are usually 18mm field size. The excellent Nikon CFWN 10x eyepieces with the higher end scopes are 20mm field size.

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:31 am

PeteM wrote:Dual head adapters are fairly common and affordable used for Nikon finite. However, the binocular heads end up pretty close and with not the best ergonomics for the most common adapter.
For the same money, you can get one of several Nikon trinocular heads. Drop in an eyepiece camera and add a small monitor and you could still easily discuss things with your tutor - and maybe even take notes with the image attached.
That sounds like an excellent idea. Not only do you get a nice big image that one can point things out on but you can also have a guest or two without the awkward chair swapping or messing about with binocular head setup.

Video Camera in the image is a relatively economical: HD USB Digital Industry Microscope Camera

http://www.quekett.org/about/reports/20 ... agm-public

Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)