WANTED - Olympus 60x dry infinity objective

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
mrsonchus

WANTED - Olympus 60x dry infinity objective

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi all, I'm on the hunt for a 60x dry infinity objective for my BX40 - a tall & expensive order I know, but if you have or know-of one please contact me!

John B.
John B

microb

Re: WANTED - Olympus 60x dry infinity objective

#2 Post by microb » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Here are two from some ebay sellers. Don't know which, if either, are what you want:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-LWD-MS ... SwlTBdH4vh

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPUS-SPLANA ... SwefldETUT

Peter Freimann

#3 Post by Peter Freimann » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:18 pm

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:21 pm

mrsonchus wrote:Hi all, I'm on the hunt for a 60x dry infinity objective for my BX40 - a tall & expensive order I know, but if you have or know-of one please contact me!

John B.
John. I have a little experience with the Chinese objectives patterned for the Olympus infinity system. I don't think you would be pleased with one. Probably better to hold out for a real one, and maybe a better correction too. There is a Reichert 63X glycerin 1.0 N.A. out there; probably more in England than here but they are not that common, so if glycerin is more attractive than oil to you? It's a planachro. I have used one of those dry too and as a dry objective, it is slightly better than the Chinese 60X .80 planachro. With the Olympus tube, it will give 57X.

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:51 pm

microb wrote:Here are two from some ebay sellers. Don't know which, if either, are what you want:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-LWD-MS ... SwlTBdH4vh

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPUS-SPLANA ... SwefldETUT
Hi Bob, thank for the links my friend, those two sre not quite what I'm after...

Thanks though for looking.
John B

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:05 pm

Peter Freimann wrote:I found this one:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/BRESSER-DIN-PL- ... SwNwhcbl5c
Peter
Thanks Peter, so hard to know the quality that may realistically be hoped-for from a copy, and the price of this one makes it a little too expensive perhaps to try.

Thanks for looking for me though.
John B

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:11 pm

apochronaut wrote:
mrsonchus wrote:Hi all, I'm on the hunt for a 60x dry infinity objective for my BX40 - a tall & expensive order I know, but if you have or know-of one please contact me!

John B.
John. I have a little experience with the Chinese objectives patterned for the Olympus infinity system. I don't think you would be pleased with one. Probably better to hold out for a real one, and maybe a better correction too. There is a Reichert 63X glycerin 1.0 N.A. out there; probably more in England than here but they are not that common, so if glycerin is more attractive than oil to you? It's a planachro. I have used one of those dry too and as a dry objective, it is slightly better than the Chinese 60X .80 planachro. With the Olympus tube, it will give 57X.
Hi apo' - yes I suspect you're right old chap.... What I have actually done is to buy a cheap achromat (Chinese!) version pehaps just to fill the 60x gap temporarily. It cost only £69 and having contacted them they are very willing to refund if I'm not happy, but for the price it may be worth a look...

In the meantime I'm on the hunt, and saving, as my intention is to add a nice 60x with collar ASAP....

Thanks for the help and recent forum info re condensers and objectives, very, very useful indeed.
John B

mrsonchus

#8 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:19 pm

This is what I'm after but I can't afford this price yet, patience is a virtue - drat!..... :(
John B

viktor j nilsson

#9 Post by viktor j nilsson » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Never hurts to put in an offer for whatever you are willing to pay...

PeteM

#10 Post by PeteM » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:23 pm

John, Given the prices, I'm wondering if a 60x water immersion objective should be part of your search? My own experience with 60x dry objectives (including a dry Olympus Splan 60x finite, a dry 60x infinity clone and a dry 60x Nikon infinity plan achromat) is that they're very fiddly with respect to cover slip corrections, have little depth of field, and don't resolve things much better than a good 40x plan achro -- and likely worse than a 40x planapo. Seems water immersion might be right for the specimens you image and less fuss -- with near the numerical aperture resolving power of a 60x oil immersion objective. If you're willing to fiddle with oil, the 60x oil immersion objectives from Olympus seem superb.

mrsonchus

#11 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:44 pm

Hi Pete, oh-my would I like a 60x WI objective for the Olympus! Where to find one though? Worth looking I suppose, they probably mage an infinity (maybe even UIS?) version.

I think rather than a 60x oil-immersion I'd go for the 100x (I have the 100x 1.25 oil-immersion UIS2 Plan-achromat and it's really quite good with the slide-only oiled and the condenser used dry - although I plan to investigate this properly soon). Mind you for my purposes, resolution of tiny Botanical structural detail such as cell-wall features, including also intra-cellular to some extent, much out-weighing magnification, a high n.a. 60x may well be a good choice. I now have a good EOS 200D 24mp DSLR attached, the images from which really do crop very well indeed, within reason.

Lots to ponder while I try to put some funds by!

I'm very pleased to say though that the set of UIS2 Plan-achros that I have on the BX40 are performing beautifully, with very good resolution and sharpness indeed - a real revelation one may say.

Keep the ideas coming folks, all help is very much appreciated and useful.
John B

MichaelG.

#12 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:52 am

mrsonchus wrote:... oh-my would I like a 60x WI objective for the Olympus!

Lots to ponder while I try to put some funds by!
[ ... ]
Keep the ideas coming folks, all help is very much appreciated and useful.
At the risk of stating the obvious, John ... do bear in mind the distinction between Water Immersion and Water Dipping:
At the likely price, you probably don't want to be buying the wrong one.
https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9. ... up_ID=5824

MichaelG.

Edit: if I understand correctly ... This little beauty is Water Dipping
https://www.spachoptics.com/LUMPLFL-60X ... -water.htm
... but it is listed as Water Immersion.
Too many 'projects'

mrsonchus

#13 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:53 am

A good point Michael, thanks my friend.

I see that listed-one has the coverglass designation /0 for no coverglass and is also long-working-distance - "the devil's in the detail" they say!
Even the thought of spending so much is making me quake, but I'm taking a step back on spending to gain expertise with all things Olympus, as you say, a wrong decision at this level of cost can prove life-changing (e.g my Wife may banish me to the shed!).

Good advice my friend, keep an eye-out as you go for me! :D :D
John B

apochronaut

#14 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:46 pm

I know this might sound a bit weird, given my track record of dissing higher magnification eyepieces but , if you are going to be using the 60X with 10X oculars, so aiming purely at a 600X factor; did you consider using a high N.A. 40X with 15X eyepieces? The cost might factor out somewhat better and the 15s might be useful for other applications such as with a 10 or 20X , which the N.A.s of allow for such use. So you would get the possible bonus of 150X and 300X in your system, without getting into empty magnification.

In my own system of choice, which uses AO and Reichert infinity D.I.N. optics, I have found that the Reichert planfluor 40X .70 coupled with the factory 15X eyepieces gives considerably better results than two Chinese 60X( .80 and .85), Olympus configured planachros.
The 15X # 182 eyepieces have a wider apparent field than the default # 181 10X eyepieces and even with the 1.5X increase in magnification, and subsequent real f.o.v. reduction, the f.o.v. still comes out to about 90% of the field the 10X pair yield.......and there is lots of w.d. and the objective is quite relaxed as to cover slip correction. There is no fussing with a finicky collar. Keeping the N.A. down to .70 but using fluorite corrections and resolution are the keys, allowing the objective to carry 600X with a fine image.

Back when apochromat systems required compensating eyepieces ; 15X eyepieces were often used as the default, because the N.A.s were so high. The 15s had wider fields and better eye relief in some cases than the matching 10s; the idea being to maximize the N.A. of the objectives. Most of the systems used 2mm or around 90X high mag. objectives( instead of the 1.8mm or approx. 100X for achromats), so with 10X eyepieces the minimum 1.30 N.A. and optionally 1.40 N.A. was certainly not challenged. With 15X eyepieces, the N.A., could be utilized fully.

MichaelG.

#15 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:59 pm

This may be of [at least academic] interest, John
https://www.olympusamerica.com/files/se ... ctives.pdf

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

mrsonchus

#16 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:31 pm

Wow Michael - the prices must be truly terrifying!

Interesting to see what is at those exhaulted heights though.

Thanks for the link old chap. :)

Those deep-imaging 3mm pointy-objectives....... good grief!
John B

Hobbyst46

#17 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:36 pm

mrsonchus wrote:... the prices must be truly terrifying! Interesting to see what is at those exhaulted heights though
It seems that most of those objectives have been specifically developed and optimized for fluorescence, moreover for confocal microscopy. Some are stated to perform well with silicone oil immersion, in studies of live animal/human cells, due to the resemblance of the cell refractive index to the oil refractive index. This is possibly not so with protists and plant cells (just a guess).
For other illumination types than fluorescence, "simple" plan UIS are great.

mrsonchus

#18 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:30 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
mrsonchus wrote:... the prices must be truly terrifying! Interesting to see what is at those exhaulted heights though
It seems that most of those objectives have been specifically developed and optimized for fluorescence, moreover for confocal microscopy. Some are stated to perform well with silicone oil immersion, in studies of live animal/human cells, due to the resemblance of the cell refractive index to the oil refractive index. This is possibly not so with protists and plant cells (just a guess).
That's what I'm using at the moment - the 'N' designated UIS2 series. I have a nice 4x, 10x, 40x and 100x set but would very much like to 'plug the gaps' namely for a 20x and a 60x (dry) - although the 60x would need a collar I think for cover-glass vagaries....

I have the U-PCD condenser and have kept the Ach 40x Ph2 objective on the nosepiece too - the phase on the BX40 is really very good I've found.
John B

Hobbyst46

#19 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:16 pm

mrsonchus wrote:
Hobbyst46 wrote:
That's what I'm using at the moment - the 'N' designated UIS2 series. I have a nice 4x, 10x, 40x and 100x set but would very much like to 'plug the gaps' namely for a 20x and a 60x (dry) - although the 60x would need a collar I think for cover-glass vagaries....

I have the U-PCD condenser and have kept the Ach 40x Ph2 objective on the nosepiece too - the phase on the BX40 is really very good I've found.
BTW, I eventually found that the BX41 for sale, that I told you about, is only binocular; and the objectives are likewise 4X, 10X, 40X, 100X. I suspect they are achromats...

mrsonchus

#20 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:42 pm

Hi hobby' - I can tell you, having been able to compare them, that the achromats are virtually indistinguishable from the plans in terms of image quality and even planarity with the std 22mm fov....
John B