C. Reichert 100x fluor oel-iris objective

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
uglyjeep

C. Reichert 100x fluor oel-iris objective

#1 Post by uglyjeep » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:43 am

Due to somewhat of a impulse buy (at what I feel was a great price), I am now in possession of a Austrian Reichert objective (100/1.30 160/0.17 fluor oel-iris). Thing is, I don't have a Reichert microscope or any matching optics...

I don't often use high magnifications - most frequently I rely on a stereo microscope. That said, I've been considering putting together a compound microscope to bring along on fieldwork, and darkfield capability would be nice. I'd like to have this available to use on a Tiyoda MKQ (which is on its way).

What is the parfocal distance for the 160tl finite Reichert objectives? How about any other optics they play well with?

Anyone have any experience with this objective or comments on its performance?

MicroBob

Re: C. Reichert 100x fluor oel-iris objective

#2 Post by MicroBob » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:36 am

When you measure the lenght of the body from flange to front lens you have about the parfocal distance on a 100 oil.
Tube length is given and according to the "Mikrofibel" the eyepiece pickup point is 13mm below the end of the tube.
The objective will need a correction eyepiece, I would suggest to simply test this out.
Does the Tiyoda have 160mm tube lenght?

For portable microscopes the old Zeiss Jena an Lomo 33mm Objectives are nice. Especially on a revolving nosepiece they save a lot of space compared to 45mm objectives. Zeiss Jena 90:1 with iris are quite often available, at least here in Germany. Dark field wasn#t so popular anymore after phase contrast became widely available after WW2 so you have a better chance with older systems.

Bob

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:50 am

The Reichert objective is 37mm parfocal, likely. They switched to both 34mm ( for the AO based system) and also 45mm ( D.I.N. system) in the 70's when they began to shift everything over to infinity correction but I have never seen anything but 37 mm objectives for the 160mm tube length microscopes.

The MKQ was originally fitted with Huygens eyepieces. Those would be as good as any other Huygens eyepieces with the Reichert objective but Huygens don't really provide wide , flat or perfectly corrected fields with any objective. Reichert did make some wider field plan compensating eyepieces that work better with that objective. I have, I think a 5X, 8X and 10X if you have any interest in them.

As far as the tube length for that portable , it is most likely 170mm. Reichert used 160mm. Tiyoda probably used the J.I.S. standard eventually , which is 36mm for the objective and 170mm for the tube.
Tiyoda had a somewhat bouncy start. The precursor M & Katera had an association with Leitz. Early M & Katera objectives are so close to Leitz objectives as to be knockoffs. They in fact may have been made by Leitz, or possibly the lenses, so they were 37mm parfocal. Later, after the company had morphed into Tiyoda( another partner in M & Katera became Olympus), they seemed to benefit from some sort of political agreement with Germany and the influence shifted to be from Zeiss. The objectives seem to be more in an older Zeiss style at least, and there is evidence of some parts being identical to Zeiss parts.

I do have an old Tiyoda scope at the farm. I will measure the objectives and see what they come out to......and the tube too.

uglyjeep

#4 Post by uglyjeep » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:02 pm

I've been eyeing the Zeiss Jena iris objectives, as well as Lomo water immersion, but this one popped up for even less. At the price, I figured it was worth the risk. It just happened to coincide with another great deal on the Tiyoda. Worst case scenario, I'll use it on a different microscope later or trade it off for something better suited to my needs.

Based on the Micscape article on the Tiyoda MKH, http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... da-MKH.pdf, both the MKH and the larger MKQ have a tube length of 160mm. Even if 170mm, I think the telescoping tube should allow the use of objectives intended for a shorter tube length.

I'll be interested in what you find out Apo. I found one reference to the parfocal distance for a Tiyoda objective - 37mm...

Reading the above article leads me to believe there is some possibility of this working out - I hadn't realized the Tiyoda MKH is derived from a Reichert built microscope.

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:11 pm

apochronaut wrote: . . .

I do have an old Tiyoda scope at the farm. I will measure the objectives and see what they come out to......and the tube too.

Phil, I'm also curious to know if these are 160mm tube length microscopes. I've been offered a couple of nicely built Tiyoda microscopes at a low price, to pass on to our "Micronauts." I know the objectives are short barrel, but if the Tiyoda tube is 160mm there is enough room to fit them with modern objectives.

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:33 pm

I just got around to nabbing one of those Tiyoda objectives and measuring it yesterday. It looks like the objectives themselves are 36mm.
That would lead me to conclude that they are J.I.S. , so would have a 170mm tube. I can't find any easily found information to corroborate or oppose that assumption , I'm sure it is available somewhere. Most of the companies in Japan, did follow the J.I.S. and if there was still a sticker or tag on either the stand or case, that was usually identified as so, as a little oval J.I.S. badge. Nikon and Olympus had there own systems. 35+160 and 36.5(?)+160. Olympus may have copied Bausch & Lomb at some point, which had a similar odd 36.5 or so parfocal length up until the 60's and had had for a long long time.

Why 36.5? . Both Bausch & Lomb and Spencer, used longer objectives, up until about 1900 and in fact offered options to the customer as to tube length and objective length. One standard option for tube length was 8.5" and another was 160mm, in order to fall in line with what was becoming an overwhelming choice for a tube length standard. Objective lengths originally were also in inches. One standard at B & L in the 19th century was 1 5/8" or just over 41mm. This standard goes back to the patent of the correction collar by Gundlach in 1878, who worked for B & L . I have a Bausch & Lomb 1/12" 1.40 Homogeneous Immersion Tube Length 8.5 in. with a correction collar that goes through a 340 degree rotation, from 0 to 9, then back to 0 and to 9 again. Remarkable objective. I will post some pictures in a few days of it. It was probably made in the 1880's. Eventually , a shorter objective length prevailed . There were increasing imports of European microscopes from quite a few German makers and Koristka, Reichert, Nachet etc. Continental microscopes were smaller but offered similar performance to the American scopes. The smaller footprint and lower height was popular, as was the continental style horseshoe base. The American companies abandoned Jackson based stands before 1910 and settled on shorter objective and tube lengths in order to make smaller stands. B & L used 1 7/16" for the short objectives or right around 36.5mm.
American products were very influential in Occupied Japan but eventually most Japanese companies settled on a standard incorporating 170mm as the tube length and 36mm as the parfocal length.