Information about a microscope

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
GrbovicMicroscopy

Information about a microscope

#1 Post by GrbovicMicroscopy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Hello everyone.

I am looking for a small mobile microscope to take with me on vacation. Browsing through a ebay like site in my country i managed to find this microscope
https://m.kupujemprodajem.com/Foto/Obje ... 5707092256
I do not have any information available on it just that it is a Mobile Meopta microscope. If anyone can help me find a bit more information on it. The seller does not know much as it came into his possesion by chance..

apochronaut

Re: Information about a microscope

#2 Post by apochronaut » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:25 pm

This is a type of measuring microscope. It is used mainly to be set upon an opaque object in order to examine some details or measure some details by use of an included reticle. Usually some sort of illumination source needs to be shone against the built in white semi-circular reflector, at the bottom of the optical tube in order to be able to see the object but if carefully placed in the sun or a bright artificial source of illumination the view is bright enough.

It can also be set on a light source and be used to view some small transparent objects or subjects. The magnification is usually limited to around 25X or so and various companies made similar microscopes, mainly for use in tool rooms, foundries and sometimes production labs.

GrbovicMicroscopy

#3 Post by GrbovicMicroscopy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:03 pm

apochronaut wrote:This is a type of measuring microscope. It is used mainly to be set upon an opaque object in order to examine some details or measure some details by use of an included reticle. Usually some sort of illumination source needs to be shone against the built in white semi-circular reflector, at the bottom of the optical tube in order to be able to see the object but if carefully placed in the sun or a bright artificial source of illumination the view is bright enough.

It can also be set on a light source and be used to view some small transparent objects or subjects. The magnification is usually limited to around 25X or so and various companies made similar microscopes, mainly for use in tool rooms, foundries and sometimes production labs.

Thank you. So i am not going to buy it since i was looking for something similar to a compound microscope that is small in proportions.

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:19 pm

If you wish to invest in a new binocular field microscope, designed by an expert microscopist specifically for field use, (not inexpensive though), here is a link to the Goren microscope:
https://www.mrclab.com/productsList.aspx?PcatID=1239

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:42 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:If you wish to invest in a new binocular field microscope, designed by an expert microscopist specifically for field use, (not inexpensive though), here is a link to the Goren microscope:
Can't see the price anywhere
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:54 pm

75RR wrote:
Hobbyst46 wrote:If you wish to invest in a new binocular field microscope, designed by an expert microscopist specifically for field use, (not inexpensive though), here is a link to the Goren microscope:
Can't see the price anywhere
No, they are not a consumer store, one needs to request a quotation.

GrbovicMicroscopy

#7 Post by GrbovicMicroscopy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:06 pm

Thank you but that is out of my price range for sure right now..

MicroBob

#8 Post by MicroBob » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:38 pm

If you specify the price range and what properties you are looking for you will probably get a couple of suggestions what models to look for.

Bob

apochronaut

#9 Post by apochronaut » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:35 pm

How small do you need the instrument to be for your purposes? I have several smaller multi objective microscopes I collected over the years because of their exceptional optical quality , with an eye to using them as field scopes. My requirements kept changing over time and I now am in the latter stages of finishing off a petite 4 objective binocular, so these other scopes need a new home. If you are interested in one of them, you can have it for what I paid for it. The largest of the lot is under 4 lbs. with it's wooden case included, some much smaller, although none are really pocket scopes.

A friend is travelling to Serbia in about 3 weeks and I can get her to take it , in order to save you shipping. She will be landing in Belgrade and staying in Sabac, while there.

I will send you a p.m. with my email. If you are interested I can send you pictures of what I have and my cost prices on them.

MicroBob

#10 Post by MicroBob » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:45 am

apochronaut wrote:...and I now am in the latter stages of finishing off a petite 4 objective binocular...
Hi Phil,
I'm looking forward to see this instument when it is finished!

Bob

apochronaut

#11 Post by apochronaut » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:52 pm

I'm hoping to have it done by sometime this fall. It's been slowly taking shape, as time permits . There are two holdups.
1) Assembling the battery pack, charger and illuminator in the base and
2) I found a phase annulus slider and iris rig which was probably for one of the Japanese made B & L scopes. I need a condenser to fit the thread yet, or adapt one. It is quite compact and precise. I would like to integrate that in the base as well and then, I need to find a set of 160mm objectives that will work with those annuli.

MicroBob

#12 Post by MicroBob » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Hi Phil,
I have made two phase rings from sheet metal discs, held together with a wire that is glued on top. I think I used 0,3mm aluminium and punched it out with a high quality hole punch set. From there a bit of manual work. It's been a while since but I think they were quite precise.

Bob

GrbovicMicroscopy

#13 Post by GrbovicMicroscopy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:33 pm

apochronaut wrote:How small do you need the instrument to be for your purposes? I have several smaller multi objective microscopes I collected over the years because of their exceptional optical quality , with an eye to using them as field scopes. My requirements kept changing over time and I now am in the latter stages of finishing off a petite 4 objective binocular, so these other scopes need a new home. If you are interested in one of them, you can have it for what I paid for it. The largest of the lot is under 4 lbs. with it's wooden case included, some much smaller, although none are really pocket scopes.

A friend is travelling to Serbia in about 3 weeks and I can get her to take it , in order to save you shipping. She will be landing in Belgrade and staying in Sabac, while there.

I will send you a p.m. with my email. If you are interested I can send you pictures of what I have and my cost prices on them.
Sure, i would love too see what you have used and see if any match for me, i will send you my email.
As for the size i do not have an exect value just something lighter then my 1946 Reichert, which is really heavy.