Zeiss Stereo Basis + pocket binocular - a portable stereo field microscope

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
MicroBob

Zeiss Stereo Basis + pocket binocular - a portable stereo field microscope

#1 Post by MicroBob » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi together,
I recently bought an intersting stereo microscope solution for field use: The Zeiss Stereo Basis + Zeiss 8 x 20 B pocket binocular, from around 1980.
It offers 16x combined mag., a good field of view, good image quality and a high eyepoint. Thumb screws have been added by the previos owner. It probably can be used with other roof prism binoculars too. If you have extremely wide or narrow eye distance it might not work. It is pictured with focus on the desk it stands on, so the free working distance is great. It looks a bit toy like and consists of few parts but it is sturdy and works really well.
The plan of sharpness is of cause inclined, so for some objects like post stamps one would have to build an inclinded table.

There have been several generations of Zeiss pocket binoculars. The first one had single eye focussing like a WW II binocular. Ok for use with the Stereo Basis, not convenient for binocular use when not involved in a war.
The second generation had a common focussing wheel in the middle of the bridge and no diopter adjustment - :shock:
This third generation model is really nice, the "B" means "Brille = nose biycle" and the field of view can be mostly seen with glasses on. It gives a sharp image, the bridge joints are firm and the focussing action is smooth and backlash free.

With its single mag. and very upright built it wouldn't be ideal as sole stereo microscope in the household but there are much worse ones around.
I don't know a more compact stereo microscope solution and it even serves as a good daylight binocular. Mine lives dismantled in a small Otter box. One of the bigger Lock&Lock kitchen boxes would do nicely.

These Stereo Basis things are sold regularly on german ebay for 50-100€.

Bob
Attachments
Zeiss Stereo Basis 4.jpg
Zeiss Stereo Basis 4.jpg (129.37 KiB) Viewed 7173 times
Zeiss Stereo Basis 1.jpg
Zeiss Stereo Basis 1.jpg (363.74 KiB) Viewed 7173 times
Zeiss Stereo Basis 2.jpg
Zeiss Stereo Basis 2.jpg (382.26 KiB) Viewed 7173 times
Zeiss Stereo Basis 3.jpg
Zeiss Stereo Basis 3.jpg (362.39 KiB) Viewed 7173 times
Zeiss Stereo Basis 5.jpg
Zeiss Stereo Basis 5.jpg (384.24 KiB) Viewed 7173 times

MichaelG.

Re: Zeiss Stereo Basis + pocket binocular - a portable stereo field microscope

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:12 pm

Interesting device, Bob ... I've not seen one before, so thanks for the pictures.
I suppose it's effectively the same optical arrangement as Surgeons & Dentists use for their long-working-distance loupes. [except theirs are Galilean to minimise weight]

[please correct me if I am wrong]

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:34 pm

There are two prisms in the housing and below two lenses, probably cemented elements. So you look straight through the binolurar and in the "Stereo Basis" the view is directed inwards to a common spot. The surgeon microscopes I have seen in auctions looked like normal stereo microscopes to me. Usually more built like a porro prism binocular.
The Stereo Basis is quite a good idea: Take a good binocular that already includes most of what is needed and add just a few not so expensive components to make a well working microscope from it and have a selling point for the binocular. They are not common under microscopists here in Germany. Probably Zeiss got the marketing completely wrong.
Here you can download the original brochure: https://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/rea ... msg-441815
You wouldn't expect how well this thing works when looking at the kids in the brochure. Positive side: They are quite affordable today, especially when you already have a suitable binocular. Though I can really recommend the one I have pictured - for normal persons (not for people who are as obsessive about binoculars as we are for microscopes).

Bob

Roldorf

#4 Post by Roldorf » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:27 pm

If you are interested in portable microscopes you should look at this item for your handy/mobile phone.

Simply clips over the camera lens on the phone. I bought one 4 months ago and have used it lots.

https://uk.hama.com/00044338/hama-3in1- ... tablet-pcs

I paid 9.99 Euro. I will take some picks and post them. You can actually use the zoom function on the camera to get even closer.

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage

Roldorf

#5 Post by Roldorf » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:48 pm

Without the macro lens:-
IMG_20190825_203929.jpg
IMG_20190825_203929.jpg (427.24 KiB) Viewed 7158 times

With the macro lens:-
IMG_20190825_204122.jpg
IMG_20190825_204122.jpg (353.55 KiB) Viewed 7158 times

ImageImage

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:26 pm

Hi Alan,
this looks very usable, especially for objects of the size one would use a stereo microscope for. And much more compact than the solution I showed here.
Expensive smartphones have such good cameras and displays today that it really is a question whether a field microscope should not be set up best on this base. Especially when it is a wish to use both eyes for observing.

What works well with smartphone cameras too is a lens out of a CD- or DVD drive.

Could you post a picture of a flat object plan parallel to your macro lens to show the quality towards the edges? Like a piece of printed paper?

Bob

MichaelG.

#7 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:08 pm

MicroBob wrote:... The surgeon microscopes I have seen in auctions looked like normal stereo microscopes to me. Usually more built like a porro prism binocular.
Sorry, Bob ... I think we are at cross-purposes : I was thinking of an optical similarity with surgical loupes.

I will post a picture later.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#8 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:02 pm

Examples of Surgical Loupes here:

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/su ... ostpopular
Optical principle of the Surgeon's loupe
Optical principle of the Surgeon's loupe
Brücke.jpg (218.3 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
MichaelG.

Note: In the Surgical Loupes, the supplementary lens is chosen to optimise the working distance [which is equal to its focal length] ... Dentists typically work closer than Cardiac Surgeons.
Last edited by MichaelG. on Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#9 Post by MicroBob » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:16 pm

Hi Michael,
that is exactly the principle, only in stereo version.
It only really makes sense for a binocular maufacturer to offer such an add-on and the groups of buyers of Zeiss binoculars and stereo microscopes probably don't overlap much. But the result is much better than one would expect.

Bob

Roldorf

#10 Post by Roldorf » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi Bob will do when I get back from our schrabergarten.

ImageImage

Roldorf

#11 Post by Roldorf » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Photo as promised.-

If you open the image in a new tab you will have a better idea of how detailed it is. It's the barcode from the first image I posted.

You can use the camera zoom before you take the pic for an even closer image.

Taken with a Nokia 5.1

ImageImage

MicroBob

#12 Post by MicroBob » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:38 pm

Roldorf wrote:...when I get back from our schrabergarten.
Hi Alan, isn't this the perfect reason for a field microscope? :D

The image is very sharp in the middle and there isn't much chromatic aberration. But the barcode also look much like a potato chip!
Michaels optical system would be perfect: A lens with longer focal length and a lens system in front that allows a good working distance.

Bob

Roldorf

#13 Post by Roldorf » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:39 pm

Yes of course but will it fit in my shirt pocket? I use it mostly for looking at geological specimens.

ImageImage

MichaelG.

#14 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:09 pm

Roldorf wrote:Photo as promised.-

Stangely, I could only see the word 'Image' in a little box
But by copying your link, I got there.

Rather a lot of Pincushion! and some CDM, but the resolution towards the centre looks very good.
... Most of the defects would likely go unnoticed in pictures of flowers and bugs.

MichaelG.

Edit: ... and as if by magic, the image has now appeared in both your post and my quoting of it.
Too many 'projects'

Roldorf

#15 Post by Roldorf » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:46 am

Yes it was not taken in the best of light as it was dark when I got back home, so I used a 'kopf lampe' one of those very small LED headlamps that go on your head for walking at night. For 9,99 Euro it's the business. I have never even tried the other two lenses that came with it as I bought it specifically for the macro lens.
I had previously bought a Nurugo Micro Smartphone Mikroskop, don't whatever you do buy one of these they are terrible and very expensive.

ImageImage