Hello from the UK. Avian interests. Beautiful Pollen. Closet geek.

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
BirdieBB

Hello from the UK. Avian interests. Beautiful Pollen. Closet geek.

#1 Post by BirdieBB » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:18 am

Hello everyone,

I have just taken a punt on a second hand Optika BP 20/400, yet to arrive, partly for financial and partly for eco warrior reasons! I'm unsure if it may be missing the condenser lense but we will see.

I'm glad to have found this forum. I'm very much an amateur in microscopy and the equipment, though I used a scope for basic paristology in previous jobs may moons ago (in the veterinary field). I love all things in the wonderous natural world, and have a propensity to disappear down rabbit holes of a random nature... about just about anything if I get sucked in!

My main reason for getting a microscope is to do fresh wet mounts of droppings from my rescue birds (budgies etc), as some of the common nasties are more easily found in fresh samples, and often are generally not being shed at all times by the bird.

I have one very sick bird at the moment (being treated and had professional tests don't worry!) who's vet tests have all been normal despite being unwell and strongly suspected of having the diseases , and it's inspired me to do some home investigations!

I'm going to be looking in particular for Macrorhabdus ornithogaster (Also known as avian gastric yeast and previously when it was thought to be a type of bacteria, megabacteria), along with trichomonas.

I'm especially concerned with Macrorhabdus ornithogaster because it is poorly understood and studied and there is, despite what is written everywhere, no proven and properly effective cure or treatment. The latest study I found concluded the treatment believed to be the best did not in fact really work.
Experts cannot even seem to agree if macrorhabdus ornithogaster is a natural avian gut microbe, only causing symptoms in certain compromised birds.

I'd love to find others with similar geeky interests! :geek:
I also love seeing beautiful diatoms and pollen grains.

If anyone can suggest a particular thread to post in I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for reading my post.

BB

75RR

Re: Hello from the UK. Avian interests. Beautiful Pollen. Closet geek.

#2 Post by 75RR » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:08 am

Hi BirdieBB

There are as you have seen sections for microscope adaptations, camera systems, illumination techniques, images taken through a microscope and the like.

There are no sections for sick animals. Perhaps you can divide your new hobby between this forum and another one.

Here is a link to a budgie forum that came up on a search: https://www.talkbudgies.com/forum.php

It actually has a section on Avian Gastric Yeast
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

BirdieBB

Re: Hello from the UK. Avian interests. Beautiful Pollen. Closet geek.

#3 Post by BirdieBB » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:54 pm

Thankyou.