Which model of Carl Zeiss Standard is this?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Hobbyst46

Re: Which model of Carl Zeiss Standard is this?

#31 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:16 am

MikeBradley wrote:...I do now have the objective turret and it carries a Nikon Plan 2/0.05, a Zeiss F10/0.25, a Oly LWD CDPlan 20PL/0.4, a. ULWD CDPlan 40PL, 0.5, both the CDPlans have correction collars. Oculars are Carl Zeiss 12.5 Kpl-W (eyeglass), in a binocular head. There is a spare vertical monocular tube. The previous use of this instrument may have been for examining shallow culture dishes.

My first impressions are that the two LWD objectives are disappointing in contrast and sharpness , a side by side comparison with an LB Olympus SPlan 20x/0.46 objectives taken off my BH2 demonstrates this quite clearly. I’ll spend a bit more time working the correction collars tomorrow...
Does the "objective turret" belong to the beautiful black WL or the BH2?
In my experience,
(1) Mixing Olympus and Zeiss objectives and compensating eyepieces raises issues of parfocality and chromatic abberations, visible by eye and accentuated by the camera.
(2) An LWD 40X Olympus objective gave inferior contrast and sharpness on a BHS stand.

Phase telescopes are not very specific to the microscope brand. I use either a Nikon p.t. or a Bausch and Lomb p.t. They differ from each other in length and shape, but both are satisfactory for the Zeiss.

MikeBradley

#32 Post by MikeBradley » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:55 pm

In answer to Hobbyist question, the objective turret does belong to the Standard. But as I learn more about the instrument I find that the 5 ports are not parcentral making it necessary to realign the condenser for each objective change. The top edge of the knurled chrome ring on the turret does show a minor dent from some sort of an impact and the turret rotation is rather rough at one point of travel. Is there any way to realign the turret in a case like this?
Thanks
Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

MicroBob

#33 Post by MicroBob » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:58 pm

Hi Michael,
a strong knock at the nosepiece could bring the objective seats out of alignment and lead to a rough running nosepiece bearing.
But after 6 decades a nosepiece can turn roughly whithout a knock too!
Before you focus yout attention on the nosepiece I would first check that the objectives don't contribute to the parcentricity problem.
If you come to the conclusion that the nosepiece is defective due to the knock this would be not good. These nosepieces are fairly rare and expensive and a proper repair is difficult. If it just turns roughly you can try to clean the ball bearing race at the edge of the revolving disc with brake cleaner and then regrease it.

Bob

ImperatorRex

#34 Post by ImperatorRex » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:10 pm

In case you intent to dismantle the noispiece, below links may help:
https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index.php?topic=4007.0
https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index.php?topic=4005.0

You may try google translator...

It is not rocket science, just needs some patience and time to do. You also may find the root cause...if it is a kind of deformation...

Hobbyst46

#35 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:59 pm

ImperatorRex wrote:In case you intent to dismantle the noispiece, below links may help:
https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index.php?topic=4007.0
https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index.php?topic=4005.0

You may try google translator...

It is not rocket science, just needs some patience and time to do. You also may find the root cause...if it is a kind of deformation...
A question if I may: that link shows a special adjastable pin-wrench. Is it available ?

MikeBradley

#36 Post by MikeBradley » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:10 pm

Thanks for these thoughts. I'm off for a few days but will return to the problem(s) soon!
michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

ImperatorRex

#37 Post by ImperatorRex » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:19 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote: A question if I may: that link shows a special adjastable pin-wrench. Is it available ?
The owner of the tool got it from a Zeiss Coworker, so not clear if it is commercially available. Anyway costs could become an issue ;)
There was an interesting forum thread where a nice forum member offered to manufacture a handfull tailor made tools:
https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index. ... ic=12858.0

MikeBradley

#38 Post by MikeBradley » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:03 pm

Well the vacation is over and it's back to understanding the Zeiss Standard that I now own. I have noticed that while the condenser slide arm carries the upper Auxiliary lens as shown in the literature the lower unit is not the simple filter holder but rather carries optics in a 2.5 mm deep swing in/out carrier. It looks as though this is an original part. What would the function of this unit be?
Thanks
Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

Hobbyst46

#39 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:14 pm

MikeBradley wrote:Well the vacation is over and it's back to understanding the Zeiss Standard that I now own. I have noticed that while the condenser slide arm carries the upper Auxiliary lens as shown in the literature the lower unit is not the simple filter holder but rather carries optics in a 2.5 mm deep swing in/out carrier. It looks as though this is an original part. What would the function of this unit be?
Thanks
Michael
The lower swing in/out carrier is actually a filter holder. It accepts 32mm diameter round filters.

75RR

#40 Post by 75RR » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:52 pm

Well the vacation is over and it's back to understanding the Zeiss Standard that I now own. I have noticed that while the condenser slide arm carries the upper Auxiliary lens as shown in the literature the lower unit is not the simple filter holder but rather carries optics in a 2.5 mm deep swing in/out carrier. It looks as though this is an original part. What would the function of this unit be?
A photo of the part will help to identify it.

The Zeiss Standards are modular microscopes and sometimes things get changed around,

apart from which the Black WL is significantly older than most Standards and may have a different arrangement.

Here is the link to a Microscopy Primer you may find useful: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/index.h ... /index.htm
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MikeBradley

#41 Post by MikeBradley » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:00 pm

Here is the part in question, I'd forgotten to include it with my earlier post - sorry!
Michael
Attachments
IMG_7856b.jpg
IMG_7856b.jpg (128.02 KiB) Viewed 6212 times
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

75RR

#42 Post by 75RR » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:28 pm

You will want to confirm this, but it seems that you have two auxiliary lens.

If that is the case you may want to swap one of them for a filter holder.

I have managed to squeeze 3 carriers under my condenser.

A rotating polarizer, a filter holder and a auxiliary lens.

The order you have them is basically up to you, though generally speaking, the higher the filter holder the better.
Attachments
carriers.jpg
carriers.jpg (132.52 KiB) Viewed 6205 times

Hobbyst46

#43 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:35 pm

75RR wrote:You will want to confirm this, but it seems that you have two auxiliary lens.

If that is the case you may want to swap one of them for a filter holder.

I have managed to squeeze 3 carriers under my condenser.

A rotating polarizer, a filter holder and a auxiliary lens.

The order you have them is basically up to you, though generally speaking, the higher the filter holder the better.
75RR, the carriers are mounted on a steel rod. If that rod is too short it is possible to replace it; this must be carefully done though, because the thread of the rod is secured in place by means of a tiny lock screw that is horizontally inserted into the condenser holder ring.

75RR

#44 Post by 75RR » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:50 pm

If that rod is too short it is possible to replace it; this must be carefully done though, because the thread of the rod is secured in place by means of a tiny lock screw that is horizontally inserted into the condenser holder ring.
Neither my 18 nor my WL have a screw securing the vertical carrier rods (just checked) - did not know some standards had that - agree it is certainly important to keep an eye out for the possibility when changing carriers around.

MikeBradley

#45 Post by MikeBradley » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:06 am

It does appears that I have 2 auxiliary lenses 75RR. The lower swing out filter holder had been modified to carry both a filter and a lower auxiliary lens by adding a short (~10mm) extension tube secured with a with locking ring. A very nice job.
Thanks
Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

MicroBob

#46 Post by MicroBob » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:46 am

Hi Michael,
I don't know the WL but my Phomi from the 1960s has two field apertures, one below the condenser it the foot, one just before the bulb in the back of the foot. May be your two lenses are meant to allow focussing of the condenser on two different apertures or to focus with differentcondenser top lenses.

Bob

75RR

#47 Post by 75RR » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:41 am

Here is one from a GFL, as can be seen top carrier is a simple filter holder

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zeiss-micros ... 3571229411

It would be interesting to know if there is a difference between the two auxiliary lenses. Does one illuminate a wider field of view for example and can Köhler be achieved while using them?

MicroBob

#48 Post by MicroBob » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:17 am

Zeiss West had a bunch of different auxiliary lenses so one should avoid to get them mixed.
To illuminate a wide field it might be necessary to lower the condenser. With the right auxiliary lens it is possible to get the field aperture in sharp focus nontheless. The additional auxiliary lens on your WL might be an improvent by a previous user.

Bob

MikeBradley

#49 Post by MikeBradley » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:54 am

I have now been fortunate to locate some parts taken from a Standard GFL, they included a regular, rather stiff, phase condenser and an aligned nose-piece. As a result I now have a fully operational Standard WL(Black) carrying the following:

CZ Plan 2.5x/0.08
CZ Neofluar 16x/0.4 Ph2
CZ Plan 25x/ 0.45 Ph2
CZ Plan 40x/0.65
CZ Plan Apo 63x/1.4 oel
1 pr 12.5 CZ Kpl oculars
Phase condenser J,D, 2 3, blanks
(The condenser has 1.4, 0.63, 0.32 NA options)
I also have enough spare parts to start building a GFL!

Along the way I have discovered that both my AO 1096 Toric Darkfield condenser and my modified Heine condenser fit directly into the condenser stage of the Standard and seem to function quite well, though more experiments are needed. All in all I’m very happy with this new instrument.

My immediate wish-list now includes a trinoc. head and LED adjustable illumination (the illuminations has been ordered). I'm sure this list will soon grow though!

Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

Hobbyst46

#50 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:57 am

MikeBradley wrote:I have now been fortunate to locate some parts taken from a Standard GFL, they included a regular, rather stiff, phase condenser and an aligned nose-piece. As a result I now have a fully operational Standard WL(Black) carrying the following:

CZ Plan 2.5x/0.08
CZ Neofluar 16x/0.4 Ph2
CZ Plan 25x/ 0.45 Ph2
CZ Plan 40x/0.65
CZ Plan Apo 63x/1.4 oel
1 pr 12.5 CZ Kpl oculars
Phase condenser J,D, 2 3, blanks
(The condenser has 1.4, 0.63, 0.32 NA options)
I also have enough spare parts to start building a GFL!

Along the way I have discovered that both my AO 1096 Toric Darkfield condenser and my modified Heine condenser fit directly into the condenser stage of the Standard and seem to function quite well, though more experiments are needed. All in all I’m very happy with this new instrument.

My immediate wish-list now includes a trinoc. head and LED adjustable illumination (the illuminations has been ordered). I'm sure this list will soon grow though!

Michael
To fill in the gap, there are the 6.3x and 10x. My 6.3x has a too shallow working distance so I prefer the 10x. The 10x 0.25 plan or 10x0.30 are visually better (flatness of field) than the 10x0..22
The rotation of the condenser turret can be made easier by cleaning and lubricating. The tiny ball however should be watched, less it might get lost...