Glycerin jelly permanent mounting

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
GrbovicMicroscopy

Glycerin jelly permanent mounting

#1 Post by GrbovicMicroscopy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:17 pm

Hi everyone
I made some glycerin jelly today for making permanent slides. What is the procedure for the specimen if it is to be mounted in glycerin jelly? And how do i really mount it in the jelly? Do i heat it until it is liquid and pour some ok the slide? Very interested in glycerin jelly mounting as i hope to avoid Xylol a bit.

einman

Re: Glycerin jelly permanent mounting

#2 Post by einman » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:28 pm

I have had some glycerin jelly I made sitting in my lab frig for years now. Very little discoloration. Although I may see some slight signs of microbial growth. LOL

Never got around to using it. I was trying a different preservative which has worked incredibly.

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:12 pm

Look at page 30 of this document: https://www.berliner-mikroskopische-ges ... skopie.pdf

As far as I know you have to do something against fungus development when using glycerin gelantine for long term slides.

Bob

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:09 pm

The method is to include a very small amount of 'disinfectant' in the formula, I used 'Listerine' with very good results indeed when I was experimenting with glycerin jelly mounts.
Here's a link to a post re glycerin jelly..
Last edited by mrsonchus on Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John B

GrbovicMicroscopy

#5 Post by GrbovicMicroscopy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:48 pm

mrsonchus wrote:The method is to include a very small amount of 'disinfectant' in the formula, I used 'Lysterine' with very good results indeed when I was experimenting with glycerin jelly mounts.
Here's a link to a post re glycerin jelly..
It is your post that inspired me to try it. The thing is i dont know how to process the specimen (which chemical to use that is compatible with the jelly). And yes i did use Lysterine as you have. Very informative post you made. I will read Dionis post on it thank you!

GrbovicMicroscopy

#6 Post by GrbovicMicroscopy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:49 pm

einman wrote:I have had some glycerin jelly I made sitting in my lab frig for years now. Very little discoloration. Although I may see some slight signs of microbial growth. LOL

Never got around to using it. I was trying a different preservative which has worked incredibly.
Which one did you use, if i may ask?

GrbovicMicroscopy

#7 Post by GrbovicMicroscopy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:51 pm

MicroBob wrote:Look at page 30 of this document: https://www.berliner-mikroskopische-ges ... skopie.pdf

As far as I know you have to do something against fungus development when using glycerin gelantine for long term slides.

Bob
Thank you Bob very helpful as ever!

Roldorf

#8 Post by Roldorf » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage

einman

#9 Post by einman » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:10 am

Yes I used Cepacol and the glycerin jelly i made has been almost 5 years in the frig and is only now showing very slight signs of potential microbial growth. I say potential because I have yet to examine what may only be some surface drying perhaps..pure conjecture. Bottom line the Cepacol works great.