Feeling much more comfortable here

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
Dave S

Feeling much more comfortable here

#1 Post by Dave S » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:18 am

While being a serious amateur photographer, I see microscopy as more of a fascinating, and enjoyable pass time, and as such do not buy second hand premium brand microscopes, but new sub £1k Chinese microscopes.

I started out with a Chinese Trioc, with achromatic optics, and have now moved up to a higher spec instrument, with Plan optics, and Kohler illumination. Still Chinese though ;)

I joined both this forum, and also the Amateur Microscopy Facebook group.

I feel that I sit far more comfortably here, where there is a good mix of experienced, and very knowledgeable microscopists, using high-end equipment, albeit mostly bought secondhand, and people like me using Chinese microscopes.

To me, the Amateur Microscopy group is not the place for beginners, or encouraging them.

For some 12 years, I ran an Astro Imaging Group, and for the past 5 years, an amateur photography group. In both cases, we sought, and currently seek, to encourage newcomers, and don't look upon them any differently, whether they are using budget, or high end equipment.

Microbe Hunter seems far more accepting of people of all levels, and that is how a good forum should be.
Suffolk, UK

MicroBob

Re: Feeling much more comfortable here

#2 Post by MicroBob » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:25 pm

Hi Dave,
it is nice that you recognise and comment this important quality of a community. One tends to express the negative things and just friendly nodd when positive things happen. :D
In fact equipment is just an interesting side aspect of the hobby and much less interesting (and important) than the objects themselves. And the microscope itself is the side aspect of the side aspect equipment.

What I like about microscopy: It can be done on widely different budgets. With a microscope that costs less than 50€ one can see most there is to see, not in great comfort, but acceptable. This makes it possible for many people to do microscopy as a hobby.

Make good use of your new microsope and let us take part in the results!

Bob

Dave S

Re: Feeling much more comfortable here

#3 Post by Dave S » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:47 pm

I look forward to doing that Bob.
Suffolk, UK