Eyepiece confusion

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
rs6000

Eyepiece confusion

#1 Post by rs6000 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:21 am

Hello I have a Zeiss 18 with my current eyepiece set insufficient low cost olympus ones but my objectives contain mostly a lot of APO zeiss so that is not correct combination I would guess from what Ive read
so first on my list the KPL-W: will these fit my scope some website showed it to be a 30mm tube how can that be if its a zeiss eyepiece?
second I have read good things on leitz periplan GF 519 815 and possibly periplan 519 750 dont really know the difference between these either except all the GFs ive seen have thread exposed on the end like its missing something?
hopefully someone may be able to sort out my quandary too many to choose from :?

Cheers all :)
Attachments
kplw.jpg
kplw.jpg (72.57 KiB) Viewed 6969 times

75RR

Re: Eyepiece confusion

#2 Post by 75RR » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:18 am

Most microscope objectives correct aberrations in two stages, firstly in the objective itself and secondly either in the eyepieces (finite) or in the tube lens (infinity)

This is one of the reasons why one can not borrow infinity objectives from other manufacturers, objective diameter and differing threads being among the others.

In finite microscopes, borrowing objectives is possible, but you need to borrow all of it, that includes the compensating eyepieces where the rest of the corrections occur.

Many people will borrow a specific objective for a special purpose - say water immersion, because it is cheaper or easier to obtain.

Most do not have a mix of objectives from different manufactures permanently on their microscope.

Compensating eyepieces become more important as the quality of the objective improves.

In practice however, particularly if you use the more economical objectives, it sometimes comes down to personal preference. If you do not notice much difference then do not worry about it.

30mm eyepieces tend to be for stereoscopes. Most compound microscopes are standardized at 23.2mm
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:52 am

Hi,

I posted a link to a comparative test of 160mm objectives of different brands a while ago, made by Peter Höbel.
It shows the different cromatic errors and gives an idea which eyepiece could fit how well. According to these measurements Zeiss West and Olympus ar not an ideal match. But I wouldn't limit myself unnecessarily. If an eyepiece works well for me I would simply use it.

From my experience I can say that Zeiss West+most Jena Apos and stronger achromats work very well with Leitz eyepieces.
I once wrote about this in an older post. There are some things to remember with Leitz eyepieces.

Bob

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:57 am

The threads on the ends of the periplans are for screwing on eye guards, and that might be all. Nothing to worry about if they're empty.

Interesting that the zeiss and olympus optics didn't come up that compatible. A friend of mine is using an nfk 2.5x projective on his zeiss and getting good results with DIC photos.

Hobbyst46

#5 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:24 am

I find that Olympus objective and Zeiss West eyepiece, or vice versa, are visually acceptable, but photographically they are not acceptable. Not parfocal with other combination, and chromatic aberrations. The Olympus objective I tested is SPlan achro, Olympus eyepiece was WHK 10x.

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:10 pm

"Olympus" "Zeiss"... 160mm means a production time of more than 30 years, not counting vintage gear. So there might have been changes that are only known to few persons.
One important thing is to know the pickup point in the tube. Zeiss West used 10mm, Olympus 13mm. So if you use an Olympus eyepiece in a Zeiss tube the effective tube lenght will only be 157mm. Older Leitz eyepieces had a pickup point of 18mm, to be used in 170mm tubes. If you get the mix wrong there will be no parfocality. An old Leitz eyepiece with an 8mm distance ring works well for Zeiss West. When the pickup point is made to match one can start to look whether the colour correction matches.

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:42 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:57 am
The threads on the ends of the periplans are for screwing on eye guards, and that might be all. Nothing to worry about if they're empty.

Interesting that the zeiss and olympus optics didn't come up that compatible. A friend of mine is using an nfk 2.5x projective on his zeiss and getting good results with DIC photos.

That is possibly because, either by accident or design his tube length varies enough from the Olympus objective to the Olympus NFK 125mm requirement, to compensate for the correction differential between Zeiss and Olympus objectives.

rs6000

#8 Post by rs6000 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:18 pm

What about the leitz periplan which model is optimal with Zeiss 160 objectives APO, phase and FL series
I have a list
there's the GF 519 894
GF 519 815
and periplan 519 750 as well the
GF 519 748

thats 4, I count and I bet there's more
maybe there like the Zeiss pl,kpl,cpl,spl etc

so many types TMI :? :?

Scarodactyl

#9 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:25 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:42 pm
Scarodactyl wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:57 am

That is possibly because, either by accident or design his tube length varies enough from the Olympus objective to the Olympus NFK 125mm requirement, to compensate for the correction differential between Zeiss and Olympus objectives.
That could well be. It also might be that they're actually not all that compatible, but the brightly colored images combined with typically being seen at web resolution mean a mismatch isn't as obvious. Epi DIC is pretty spectacular stuff when it's set up right and has a good subject.

75RR

#10 Post by 75RR » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:19 am

rs6000 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:18 pm
What about the leitz periplan which model is optimal with Zeiss 160 objectives APO, phase and FL series
I have a list
there's the GF 519 894
GF 519 815
and periplan 519 750 as well the
GF 519 748

thats 4, I count and I bet there's more
maybe there like the Zeiss pl,kpl,cpl,spl etc

so many types TMI :? :?
You don't mention why you wish to use Leitz eyepieces?

The optimal choice for Zeiss objectives will of course be Zeiss Eyepieces, just as the optimal choice for Leitz objectives will be Leitz eyepieces and so on ...
Attachments
Zeiss eyepieces.png
Zeiss eyepieces.png (418.12 KiB) Viewed 6854 times

MicroBob

#11 Post by MicroBob » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:00 am

In my experience Zeiss West eyepieces are much more prone to delamination and at the same time more expensive.

rs6000

#12 Post by rs6000 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:00 pm

Sorry I did forget that part but I was so busy gathering Data, model#s and posting them with Qs I Plain forgot to explain my madness for going the Leitze route, Well MicroBob certainly A hit home run hit on one reason COST,why I have been searching for Periplans only, I found to my dismay that the Fat type KPLs list for almost 200$ for a set, and some sellers asking close to 300USD :o on FLeabay so after I found a document posted on this forum supporting the Periplan as having excellent support for zeiss objectives and generous High eyepoint with bonus of almost 1/2 the cost of the KPL-Ws my choice was set
BTW did not know of the delamination bit but certainly one other main other reason is the generous eye relief I mentioned which only the more modern eyepieces seem to offer and I wear Glasses :)
attached Is the link I am referring to.
Cheers

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/8a24/a ... b9a5b1.pdf

75RR

#13 Post by 75RR » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:52 pm

Fair enough. Do let us know how it goes.

A word on Ebay: firstly - patience is the key, secondly - do not take the posted sale price of a few unprincipled sellers as the actual value of an item.

To find that out you need to go to the Advanced Search function, by clicking on the word Advanced to the right of the big blue search button.

From there type in the key words and tick the Sold Listings box, then press search. The price items sold for appear in green.

See sample search: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw= ... Complete=1

rs6000

#14 Post by rs6000 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:42 pm

Thank you I did just that last night and to MY SURPRISE several of the KPL-Ws in what looked to be great cond successfully sold in Sets for between 35-50$ :shock: presently most are listing quadruple or triple of that, though these sales happened back in june and july you know what they say " a day late dollar short, :roll:
guess there must be a window of opportunity when its either a sellers market or a Buyers market, very frustrating as back in late spring I was not looking for replacement eyepieces.
Would be nice if there was a calendar of when it a good time to scrounge around for scope parts I know Road Bike window is sell spring buy winter can be again almost 2-3 X difference