Two Amoeboids from this week

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
mintakax

Two Amoeboids from this week

#1 Post by mintakax » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:33 am

My 10g pond aquarium has become overwhelmed with amoeba; big ones, medium ones, small ones, naked, testate, monopodial, polypodial, cysts to flagellates to monopodial, etc. I haven't had any nightmares yet, but I'm wondering .... .

Its become very difficult and time consuming to try and identify them. Nonetheless, here are two from this week that I found very interesting. I took a stab at IDs, but don't expect them to be correct :). I hope that someone might find these interesting. I think I could have watched the first specimen for hours.

https://vimeo.com/359924668

Dan

75RR

Re: Two Amoeboids from this week

#2 Post by 75RR » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:34 am

Two more very nice captures of as always fascinating amoebae - glad to see you are making the most of your golden goose (5 gallon aquarium) Keep them coming.

Afraid I can't help with the first one.

Believe you are right on the second id = Trinema sp. You would need to observe one with an objective with more resolution for a 100% positive id.

https://www.arcella.nl/genus-trinema/
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

david_b

#3 Post by david_b » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:12 am

Very interesting.
What microscope & camera are you using?

Wes

#4 Post by Wes » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:09 am

I really like your videos mintakax. Very interesting amoebas, though I have no clue as far as their taxonomy is concerned. Did you do anything special to enrich your culture for amoebas?
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

mintakax

#5 Post by mintakax » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:43 pm

75RR wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:34 am
Two more very nice captures of as always fascinating amoebae - glad to see you are making the most of your golden goose (5 gallon aquarium) Keep them coming.

Afraid I can't help with the first one.

Believe you are right on the second id = Trinema sp. You would need to observe one with an objective with more resolution for a 100% positive id.

https://www.arcella.nl/genus-trinema/
Thank you 75RR-- I think I might be close with the first ID estimate-- this video I found on youtube looks like a similar organism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xlx05FVDQ

although that ID may be a guess as well

mintakax

#6 Post by mintakax » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:46 pm

david_b wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:12 am
Very interesting.
Thanks David-- The microscope is an Olympus BHS/BH2 using LED illumination (nano-dyne). The camera is a Nikon Z6 full frame mirrorless.

mintakax

#7 Post by mintakax » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:52 pm

Wes wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:09 am
I really like your videos mintakax. Very interesting amoebas, though I have no clue as far as their taxonomy is concerned. Did you do anything special to enrich your culture for amoebas?
Thanks Wes-- I appreciate your kind words. About 10 days or so I dropped 10 or so rice grains in my aquarium. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure that was too many ! Ferry S. (arcella.nl) suggested to me that boiled corn would have been a better nutrient source.

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Have not heard of a naked foram - besides, it does not look much like yours

Have a look at this one:

https://www.arcella.nl/arachnula-video/
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Wes

#9 Post by Wes » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:52 pm

mintakax wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:52 pm
Wes wrote:
Thanks Wes-- I appreciate your kind words. About 10 days or so I dropped 10 or so rice grains in my aquarium. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure that was too many ! Ferry S. (arcella.nl) suggested to me that boiled corn would have been a better nutrient source.
Thats great cause I have some corn on a cob sitting on the kitchen counter. You're videos inspired me to set up a new culture :)
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

mintakax

#10 Post by mintakax » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:52 pm

75RR wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:13 pm
Have not heard of a naked foram - besides, it does not look much like yours

Have a look at this one:

https://www.arcella.nl/arachnula-video/
Thanks 75RR-- Arachnulas were one of the groups I was considering.

mintakax

#11 Post by mintakax » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:54 pm

Wes wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:52 pm
mintakax wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:52 pm
Wes wrote:
Thats great cause I have some corn on a cob sitting on the kitchen counter. You're videos inspired me to set up a new culture :)
Cool ! I just today set up a Petri dish culture myself with a kernel of boiled corn on the cob. It will be interesting to compare notes Wes.

david_b

#12 Post by david_b » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:26 am

mintakax wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:46 pm
david_b wrote:
Very interesting.
Thanks David-- The microscope is an Olympus BHS/BH2 using LED illumination (nano-dyne). The camera is a Nikon Z6 full frame mirrorless.
Thank you. According to the Nanodyne spec the LED replacement is 825 lumens. How does the brightness compare with the original 100w halogen, and does it use the existing dimmer control on the BHS?
(Sorry for off-topic q's)

mintakax

#13 Post by mintakax » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:06 pm

david_b wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:26 am
mintakax wrote:
david_b wrote:
Very interesting.
Thank you. According to the Nanodyne spec the LED replacement is 825 lumens. How does the brightness compare with the original 100w halogen, and does it use the existing dimmer control on the BHS?
It turns out that I can give a "semi quantitative" answer to the brightness question. I purchased a used BHS lamp housing and hooked up the nano-dyne unit to it, so I can easily compare with the OEM halogen. I don't have a way to measure brightness directly, so I used my camera in this manner:
Same slide, 40x objective, full extinction DIC setting, set camera at 60" exposure (video) and "auto iso". OEM halogen at full brightness (new bulb) required an ISO of 10,000 and nano-dyne unit at full brightness required an ISO of 4500. I really don't know how to transform these ISO readings into % brightness increase, but the nano-dyne unit is significantly brighter. Normally, these units wire in to the BHS dimmer, but I requested that the intensity control be mounted on the side of the LED unit so I wouldn't interfere with the original wiring in case I ever wanted to use the Halogen. Turning the knob on the side mounted unit is easy and I do not miss using the BHS dimmer.

Hobbyst46

#14 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:46 pm

mintakax wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:06 pm
david_b wrote:
mintakax wrote:

..... I don't have a way to measure brightness directly,...
There is actually a simple way, with a smartphone. Application "Physics Toolbox" from the Google Play Store has an option of brightness measurement. If the phone is not too old and/or too basic.
Normally, these units wire in to the BHS dimmer, but I requested that the intensity control be mounted on the side of the LED unit so I wouldn't interfere with the original wiring in case I ever wanted to use the Halogen....
A very good decision IMO.

david_b

#15 Post by david_b » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:42 pm

mintakax wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:06 pm
david_b wrote:
mintakax wrote:

It turns out that I can give a "semi quantitative" answer to the brightness question. I purchased a used BHS lamp housing and hooked up the nano-dyne unit to it, so I can easily compare with the OEM halogen. I don't have a way to measure brightness directly, so I used my camera in this manner:
Same slide, 40x objective, full extinction DIC setting, set camera at 60" exposure (video) and "auto iso". OEM halogen at full brightness (new bulb) required an ISO of 10,000 and nano-dyne unit at full brightness required an ISO of 4500. I really don't know how to transform these ISO readings into % brightness increase, but the nano-dyne unit is significantly brighter. Normally, these units wire in to the BHS dimmer, but I requested that the intensity control be mounted on the side of the LED unit so I wouldn't interfere with the original wiring in case I ever wanted to use the Halogen. Turning the knob on the side mounted unit is easy and I do not miss using the BHS dimmer.
Thank you for taking the time & trouble!

mintakax

#16 Post by mintakax » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:46 pm

There is actually a simple way, with a smartphone. Application "Physics Toolbox" from the Google Play Store has an option of brightness measurement. If the phone is not too old and/or too basic.
Thanks, I installed it from the iPhone App Store-- has several options (barometer, tone generator, color detector, etc), but no brightness meter ?

Hobbyst46

#17 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:14 pm

mintakax wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:25 pm
Hobbyst46 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:46 pm

Thanks, I installed it from the iPhone App Store-- has several options (barometer, tone generator, color detector, etc), but no brightness meter ?
Yes, not all phones support light meter. My Galaxy S3 mini did not; my Galaxy S6 and Galaxy Tab S do. Sorry, I do not know about iphone...

david_b

#18 Post by david_b » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:47 pm

There's an app for iPhone called Light Meter. Free but with annoying ads.
It seems to work though I haven't tested for accuracy.

mintakax

#19 Post by mintakax » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:27 am

Thank you Hobbyst46 and David !