Bausch and Lomb help!!!

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Kyleighmason

Bausch and Lomb help!!!

#1 Post by Kyleighmason » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:41 am

Looking for someone to help me out! I was given a microscope in a box from my grandfather. I was wondering if anyone could help me out and answer some of my questions. I was told to take pictures but there was just too much to just take pictures of so I made a video and posted it on YouTube. Here’s the link: https://youtu.be/ToSEDr2VLv8

Thank you for your help!

mnmyco

Re: Bausch and Lomb help!!!

#2 Post by mnmyco » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:31 am

https://www.studyread.com/microscope-parts/

That will give you info on the parts of the same style of microscope. It would be much easier to refer to photos than parts of a video. You mentioned you had questions, what are they?

MNMyco

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:15 pm

Your microscope was sold in 1944, which coincidentally was the year Edward Bausch died. I think it is a model H.

This was a standard basic laboratory microscope in it's day. There were tens or thousands of them sold. Many were used in doctor's offices, back in the day when they diagnosed more in house. The objective lenses are standard achromats.
Having the ocular tube open is not a great storage method. Plug it with a wad of plastic bag or better still cover it with the lid of a small water bottle. Many of them fit right on those ocular tubes . Leaving it open allows airborne particulates to migrate into the tube , with much settling on the back lens of whichever objective is dialed up. The microscope itself , should be inside a cover; even a plastic bag coverr, despite the fact that it inside a case.
If there is any humidity in the house, I would store the microscope , loosely covered with a plastic bag and with the lid of the case slightly open.
All of the materials in the case are organic and prone to being mildew substrates. Maximum air circulation is a good idea.

Kyleighmason

#4 Post by Kyleighmason » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:20 pm

mnmyco wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:31 am
https://www.studyread.com/microscope-parts/

That will give you info on the parts of the same style of microscope. It would be much easier to refer to photos than parts of a video. You mentioned you had questions, what are they?

MNMyco
My questions I guess are how much would something like this be worth to someone? Is there any value to it? How would I go about selling this? Or would donating it to a school be best?

Kyleighmason

#5 Post by Kyleighmason » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:20 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:15 pm
Your microscope was sold in 1944, which coincidentally was the year Edward Bausch died. I think it is a model H.

This was a standard basic laboratory microscope in it's day. There were tens or thousands of them sold. Many were used in doctor's offices, back in the day when they diagnosed more in house. The objective lenses are standard achromats.
Having the ocular tube open is not a great storage method. Plug it with a wad of plastic bag or better still cover it with the lid of a small water bottle. Many of them fit right on those ocular tubes . Leaving it open allows airborne particulates to migrate into the tube , with much settling on the back lens of whichever objective is dialed up. The microscope itself , should be inside a cover; even a plastic bag coverr, despite the fact that it inside a case.
If there is any humidity in the house, I would store the microscope , loosely covered with a plastic bag and with the lid of the case slightly open.
All of the materials in the case are organic and prone to being mildew substrates. Maximum air circulation is a good idea.

Wow thank you so much!