DOIT introduction

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
DOIT

DOIT introduction

#1 Post by DOIT » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:02 am

Hello everyone!

My name is César Gil from Valencia (Spain) and I am Chief Business Development Officer at DOITPLENOPTIC (University of Valencia Spin-off company) and I'm here to learn about microscopy. Please give us a chance and continue reading! This is not an advertisement. We are still prototyping so we want to co-create together with the microscopy community. We really want to get to know and understand the needs of every microscopist and application, to help you by providing the best affordable 3D imaging solution. We aim to "democratize" microscopic 3D information for general purposes.

About our technology

Despite the multiple opportunities microscopy has provided, the fact of producing 2D images of real three-dimensional samples in a single shot has limited its possibilities in fields where 3D information is crucial.
Nowadays, the problem of obtaining three-dimensional (3D) images of microscopic samples is solved, in general, by making numerous captures after an axial scanning process (as in the case of the light-sheet microscopy) or 3D scanning (as in the case of the confocal microscope). An alternative to these techniques that do not require the scanning of the sample is digital holographic microscopy. This technique, however, has its applicability restricted to the case of transparent samples that can be observed by coherent lighting.

For 15 years, the implementation of lightfield microscopy (also called plenoptic microscopy or integral microscopy) has been proposed. Integral microscopy has as its main characteristic its ability to record the 3D information of thick samples without the need to perform more than a single shot. These systems simultaneously capture a whole series of perspectives (vertical and horizontal) of the sample, which is achieved by placing an array of microlenses in front of the sensor (CCD or CMOS) or a matrix of cameras. From these perspectives, with the appropriate algorithms, it is possible to perform in-depth reconstruction (focusing on different planes) and calculate a depth map of the distinguishable parts across the width and length of the sample. The greatest limitation of this technique at the present time is that the resolution of the reconstructed images is determined by the size of the microlenses that make up the matrix. These microlenses cannot have sizes smaller than 100 µm since this would significantly increase the diffractive effects during the capture of the radiation map. Nor can be comprised of very large microlenses, since the number of these determines the lateral resolution of the perspectives and, consequently, the level of detail of the recorded scene. This is one of the main problems of this technique: its poor lateral resolution. This fact represents the largest bottleneck that prevents the use of integral microscopy with microscopic samples. Another improvable aspect is the size of the device. The lightfield microscopy techniques developed are based on large (and very expensive) equipment, which are arranged over wide distances.

DoIT technology is based on a new concept of lightfield: a new optical design that allows to reduce the size of the lens system and maximize lateral resolution. DoIT has developed a portable and affordable device that can be easily and immediately coupled to commercial microscopes to give them the functionality of obtaining three-dimensional images in real-time. The DoIT product consists of hardware that is attached to commercial microscopes and software for real-time image visualization and manipulation. Thanks to the associated software and its different modules, the 3D image is presented in different ways that enhance diverse characteristics of the scene and its depth, such as views from several observation points, visualization of occlusions, selection of the focus plane along the depth of field, an image with all planes focused at once, a depth map or a topography of the surface of the inspected object, among others.
The product will be very useful in many applications and is aimed at microscopy users who need high-quality 3D information from 1.5 microns (based on the native resolution of the microscope where it is coupled): researchers, technology centers, universities, RDI departments of companies, inspection and QC, forensic work, etc.

About us

Doitplenoptic, S.L. it ‘s a company promoted by three researchers from the Optics Department of the Faculty of Physics of the University of Valencia (https://www.uv.es/uvweb/physics/en/facu ... 62061.html) together with the private industrial high-tech fund BeAble INNVIERTE KETs Fund (http://beablecapital.com/#/home) as main investor. Doitplenoptic designs produces and markets full 3D optical cameras and the software that displays and analyzes those images. Doitplenoptic, given its innovative nature, has been recognized as a UV spin-off company.
Doitplenoptic was founded in 2018 with the aim of developing a plenoptic camera. This plenoptic system is a compact device that can be easily attached and removed from observation instruments such as microscopes, telescopes, endoscopes or ophthalmoscopes, and converts them into 3D digital imaging instruments.
The technology, of which the three entrepreneurs are co-inventors, is patented by the University of Valencia and the National University of Colombia and is currently under review after a PCT extension request.
Our headquarters are established in the Science Park of the University of Valencia (https://www.pcuv.es/es/home), where we also have business support services and preferential access to the programs, products, and services of different organizations.

Our team is formed by:

Dr. Manuel Martínez Corral (https://www.linkedin.com/in/manuel-mart ... -aa48b819/) (Co-Founder, Co-Inventor and External Advisor) has a Ph.D. in Physics at the University of Valencia (UV) with an extraordinary award. Professor since 2008, co-directs 3D Image and Display Laboratory of the UV (https://www.uv.es/imaging3/Structure.htm) and is also an SPIE and OSA Fellow. Professor Martínez Corral is one of the most prestigious researchers in his field globally.

Dr. Genaro Saavedra Tortosa (Co-Founder, Co-Inventor and External Advisor), has a Ph.D. in Physics at the UV with an extraordinary award. Professor since 2012, co-directs with Prof. Martínez Corral the 3D Image and Display Laboratory.

Ángel Tolosa Ruiz (https://www.linkedin.com/in/%C3%A1ngel-tolosa-45b55b68/) (Co-Founder, Co-Inventor and CTO) has a Degree in Physics (UV) and a Master's degree in Photonics, Devices, and Applications (UV). Currently finishing his Ph.D. studies. He joined the 3D Image and Display Laboratory in 2009. From 2002 to 2015 he worked at the Technological Institute of Optics, Color, and Image (AIDO), performing technical development and research applied to companies.

Nicolò Incardona (Software Developer) is an Electronics Engineer from the Polytechnic of Milan and has a Master's degree in Electronic Engineering. In 2017, he joined the 3D Image and Display Laboratory co-directed by Manuel and Genaro and currently is finishing his Ph.D. studies.

César Gil Algora (https://www.linkedin.com/in/cesargilalgora/)(Chief Business Development Officer) has a Bachelor of Law and an International MBA from the Carlos III University of Madrid. During his last professional experience before joining Doitplenoptic, he established and developed the Spanish subsidiary of EasyScan: a spin-off startup company of the Technical University of Delft (The Netherlands) based on a cutting-edge scanning laser ophthalmoscope.

I really appreciate your attention and sorry for such a long introduction.
I'm keen to hear from you and to learn about this fascinating world I've just discovered. I'm glad to be part of this community.
Many thanks in advance.

Sincerely yours,
César Gil
César Gil Algora
CEO
Doitplenoptic
c.gil@doitplenoptic.com

Hobbyst46

Re: DOIT introduction

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:28 pm

DOIT wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:02 am
...DoIT has developed a portable and affordable device that can be easily and immediately coupled to commercial microscopes to give them the functionality of obtaining three-dimensional images in real-time. The DoIT product consists of hardware that is attached to commercial microscopes and software for real-time image visualization and manipulation.
Hello and welcome, I would appreciate knowing some more details about the device, perhaps a scheme and photos of how it looks like and when installed on the microscope, the type of illumination that is used, and literature references to such device. Thanks in advance.

DOIT

#3 Post by DOIT » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:45 pm

Dear Hobbyst46.

Many thanks for your interest and welcome. At this moment our technology and device are patent-pending (February 2020 will be published), so our design and technical characteristics are still confidential.
However, I can advance you that the device looks like a common camera attached to the microscope (total length of the system will be around 15cms). Regarding illumination, you can use whatever illumination system you are using with your current microscope. Indeed you could get 3D info with samples that require fluorescence for instance. Since we are reproducing technical specs from the "native" device, the only limitations will be those from the microscope attached.

As soon as the European Patent Office releases ours, I'll share with you every detail.
Kind regards.
César Gil Algora
CEO
Doitplenoptic
c.gil@doitplenoptic.com

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:40 pm

Cesar,

I sent you a LinkedIn invitation to connect.

Are you seeking beta testers? I would like to be your device tester.

Briefly, I have a PhD in microbiology, 2 years of biomedical patent law prosecution experience, extensive experience with microscopes and
multiple microscopes in my home (including a Nikon Optiphot). I am also working in biomedical business development now.

Yes, I can even help you with your EPO/PCT patent application (I have prosecuted many), if you are willing to disclose technical details with me in private (I will not disclose it to anyone else and can sign a NDA with you).

You can em8il me at zzffnn at h0tm8il dot com or reply me at LinkedIn.

I am currently located in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.

Cheers,
Frank

DOIT

#5 Post by DOIT » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:57 am

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:28 pm
DOIT wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:02 am
...DoIT has developed a portable and affordable device that can be easily and immediately coupled to commercial microscopes to give them the functionality of obtaining three-dimensional images in real-time. The DoIT product consists of hardware that is attached to commercial microscopes and software for real-time image visualization and manipulation.
Hello and welcome, I would appreciate knowing some more details about the device, perhaps a scheme and photos of how it looks like and when installed on the microscope, the type of illumination that is used, and literature references to such device. Thanks in advance.
Dear Hobbyst 46.

Our patent has been published few weeks ago.
Please reach me out if you want me to explain you the details.

Many thanks.
Kind regards.
César Gil Algora
CEO
Doitplenoptic
c.gil@doitplenoptic.com