Greetings All :)

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
beemer

Greetings All :)

#1 Post by beemer » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:24 am

Hi everyone, my name is John. I've recently acquired an Olympus BX40 in great condition and hoping to get stuck into photomicrography. I've been a passionate photographer for many years now and getting my hands on a microscope to take photos through is just another aspect of that passion.
But there is one thing stopping me from capturing those images... I need some way of attaching my DSLR (Canon 5D mkiv) to the BX40. I have the Olympus Camera adapter (Olympus U-TRU). But what goes between the U-TRU and the DSLR body is still needed but I'm really not sure what I need nor where to source the part(s).
Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Cheers, John

75RR

Re: Greetings All :)

#2 Post by 75RR » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:22 am

Hi beemer, welcome. There are several members with Olympus BX series microscopes who I am sure will be happy to tell you what setup they used.

The first choice you have is between Afocal or Direct Projection

Have a look at this pdf - it should be required reading: http://www.krebsmicro.com/pdf/trinoc_a3.pdf

There are several more very informative pdfs + some excellent images at the main site: http://www.krebsmicro.com/
I've been a passionate photographer for many years now and getting my hands on a microscope to take photos through is just another aspect of that passion.
I think you will find that the most important piece of equipment in this context is the microscope, the camera plays a relatively minor role as a recorder of what you have managed to image with the microscope.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

beemer

#3 Post by beemer » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:29 am

Thank you 75RR, having taken a quick look at those links, I shall indeed settle in to read through the articles. This is a new frontier for me so there is much to learn (and discover).
And you are quite correct; the camera is merely a tool used to record an image no matter what it is pointed at :)

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:17 am

beemer wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:24 am
Hi everyone, my name is John. I've recently acquired an Olympus BX40 in great condition and hoping to get stuck into photomicrography. I've been a passionate photographer for many years now and getting my hands on a microscope to take photos through is just another aspect of that passion.
But there is one thing stopping me from capturing those images... I need some way of attaching my DSLR (Canon 5D mkiv) to the BX40. I have the Olympus Camera adapter (Olympus U-TRU). But what goes between the U-TRU and the DSLR body is still needed but I'm really not sure what I need nor where to source the part(s).
Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Cheers, John
Welcome. Luckily, the optics of your microscope are infinity corrected, that makes camera connection easier since no compensating eyepieces are required.

beemer

#5 Post by beemer » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:27 am

Thanks Hobbyst46. Yes I've just been reading about that in one of the links given to me above. That gives me a sense of relief :)

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:13 am

Hi beemer and welcome to this fine forum! :D

I recently moved over from Leitz (Orthoplan) to an Olympus BX40 myself and have been very impressed indeed with the performance.
Connection of a DSLR to the 'scope is exactly the same as it was for my previous Leitz Orthoplan, here's an image of my BX40 fully-fitted with a Canon DSLR atop it's phototube components...

In a nutshell, from 'scope to camera the parts are...

The 'U-SPT' photo-tube connected to the trinocular head,

The 'PE 2.5x' (or PE X.Xx as various magnifications are available, but must be the 'PE' type for the BX infinity 'scopes) projection AKA 'photo' eyepiece that sits in the top of the U-SPT...

The beige tube in my image, not available in black I'm afraid... This goes onto the U-SPT and the camera (with a Canon-adapter - about £10) attaches to the top of it,

Then I have my Camera (Canon EOS 1200D in the image, now a Canon 200D) tethered via USB to a laptop running the free Canon capture and camera control software 'Utility v1, 2 or 3 depending upon your Canon camers's model).

Works perfectly, with absolute parfocality with what you see through the eyepieces...

Have to rush but back later if you need to know details.
John B

beemer

#7 Post by beemer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:54 am

Thank you mrsonchus for the fine welcome and thank you for the detailed list of items.
Please correct me if I'm wrong... so these three pieces are all necessary to give me a full frame image on a 5D4 Canon? A FF image is what I'm after.
Taken from a reference in the instruction manual that came with the trinocular head, Olympus suggests for bayonet mount cameras, a U-BMAD (Bayonet Mount Adapter) and a U-TV1X-2 are needed to connect to the U-TRU head. Does that make sense to you? Perhaps there are several ways to skin a cat as they say.

Very kind of you to upload images too. Thanks very much indeed!

I realize this section of the forum is intended as one for introductions and all I've done is ask questions. No doubt there will be a more suitable category so apologies to all.
As I've mentioned, I've been a passionate photographer for many years. Over the years, macro photography has always been high on the list of styles I enjoy. I have found myself in a position to acquire quite a decent microscope and am looking forward to exploring even tinier worlds from an artistic view.

Thanks to all for the welcome!

mrsonchus

#8 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:05 am

Hi beemer,
there are definitely other ways to connect a camera - there are some far more 'squat' adapters from Olympus that will do the job also although I don't know the part numbers I'm afraid.
FF is a difficult one to achieve although I'm sure it's possible, maybe with a bespoke configuration? In this subject there are many members here that have a lot of experience with this aim - i.e. FF coverage that are sure to contribute as soon as they see this thread.
If I were you I'd start a thread with a new topic that is perhaps called something along the lines of "attaching camera to Olympus BX40" as this will catch the attention of those very experienced members. It's perfectly fine as far as I know to introduce and ask a question in your post - nothing to worry about there, the folk here are all very friendly, helpful and highly-skilled.

Good to have you in the forum! :)
Last edited by mrsonchus on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
John B

beemer

#9 Post by beemer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:46 am

Thanks again mrsonchus, I have posted the question in Camera Systems and Imaging thread.
Kind regards, John :)

Dave S

#10 Post by Dave S » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi John, and welcome :)

Also a lifelong passionate amateur photographers. :)

I have an EOS 5D4, but don't use it on my microscope. Instead I bought an EOS 4000D for this purpose. A fraction of the weight, much smaller, and an 18mp APS-C sensor. It came with a very budget 18-55 lens which I discarded.

As my microscope uses 160mm objectives, I use 2.5x intermediate relay lens, which brings the camera pretty much par focal with the eyepieces.

I use a standard T2 to 23mm adapter to connect the camera to the photo tube on the scope.
Suffolk, UK

beemer

#11 Post by beemer » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:41 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the welcome :)

I have a 30D as well tucked away in the cupboard. Depending on what options I'm able to find, that might well be the camera I end up using due to it's crop sensor.
I've managed to get myself a U-TV0.5 that a colleague gave me but I think this will render too small an image. I'll pick up a C-mount to EF adapter soon to give it a go all anyway.

Got to go, flight to catch.
Cheers, John