Help attaching full frame DSLR to Olympus BX40

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
beemer

Help attaching full frame DSLR to Olympus BX40

#1 Post by beemer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:41 am

Hello all,

I have recently acquired an Olympus BX40 with a trinocular head (U-TRU) and I would like to attach a full frame DSLR (Canon 5D).Unfortunately, all I can find is geared more towards cameras with smaller sensors and CCD video cameras.
Does anyone know of options that might work for me?

Many thanks,
John

Tom Jones

Re: Help attaching full frame DSLR to Olympus BX40

#2 Post by Tom Jones » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:34 pm

John,

You'll need a PE 2.5x projection lens (for 35 mm full-frame cameras), a U-SPT photo tube (or U-DPT if you want to mount two cameras) to mount on top of the trinoc head, and a camera adapter such as the Diagnostic Instruments PA1-10A with a Canon T-ring mounted on top of that.

The DA instruments adapter is easier to find than the beige Olympus Photo Microadapter L shown in the other thread, the top has T-threads so it works directly with a T-Ring, and is probably a lot cheaper. It works perfectly with my 5D MkII. I've been using that configuration for years.

Tom

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:45 pm

Here's a handy link re camera attachment.... Reading through this it seems to me that the PE2.5 eyepiece (projection) will match a full-frame (AKA 35mm) camera's sensor?
However, this seems to be with eyepiece FN of 18mm? The Olympus has a FN of 22mm (as does mine) or 26.5mm, so presumably the view goes beyond the full-frame for 35mm film size?
Here's a link to this information.....

Does this mean that a full-frame camera will capture more of that seen through the eyepieces, regardless of 18, 22 or 26.5mm FN of the eyepieces and objectives?
John B

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:14 pm

Does this mean that a full-frame camera will capture more of that seen through the eyepieces, regardless of 18, 22 or 26.5mm FN of the eyepieces and objectives?
I believe the choice of projection eyepiece is what determines how much of the intermediate image is captured by the camera.

Below in white are the sensor sizes - APS-C (Canon) and Full Frame
Circles are from smallest to largest - 22mm (field of view), 22mm x 1.6x, 22mm x 2x and 22mm x 2.5x

Not sure at what size the drawing will appear on individual monitors, but all sizes are proportional.
Attachments
sensor sizes.png
sensor sizes.png (20.42 KiB) Viewed 8347 times
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 pm

Ah, yes I see the ful-frame sensor would be optimal for a 2x photeyepiece and 22mm field number - the 2.5x exceeds the field, and the full-frame will 'reach out to' more of the 22mm field (using 2.5x PE) than the APSC sensor - thanks 75' that's exactly the info I am looking for.

In my case if the graphic is interpreted with the FN at 22mm and the PE at 2.5x - it seems the move from APSC to full-frame will give me significantly more of the viewed image as seen through 10x 22mm FN eyepieces?
John B

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:04 pm

... it seems the move from APSC to full-frame will give me significantly more of the viewed image as seen through 10x 22mm FN eyepieces?
It will if you keep the 2.5x projection eyepiece.

On the other hand a 1.6x projection eyepiece* will give you a better fit with the camera you have.

* Have heard they are quite expensive. A 2x projection eyepiece may be cheaper and provide acceptable coverage.

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:59 pm

It's a good thought 75', as a full-frame DSLR is a lot of money!
I may well save a substantial amount by going for the lower-mag PE.
I think I'll have a look around for a 2x or even 1.6x - my other option was a Canon 6D mk2, but the body alone is about £1200 - surely I may find a PE 2x or even 1.6x for less than that - maybe?

I'll have a look around and see if I can find the PE first I think...

Update,
it seems that the Olympus PE photo eyepieces only go to 2x not to 1.6x - so I'd need a full-frame sensor and a PE2x for the 'best fit'?
John B

Scarodactyl

#8 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:30 am

The cropping of a 2.5x on aps-c typically is right on the edge of 'annoying but broadly acceptable'. You could always get 15x eyepieces so you won't miss that extra FoV.

I understand crop frame cameras weren't a popular microscopy option in the film era, so these were a rarer item, but it seems like modern systems still don't have a lot of good aps-C-centric options.

75RR

#9 Post by 75RR » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:37 am

... it seems that the Olympus PE photo eyepieces only go to 2x not to 1.6x - so I'd need a full-frame sensor and a PE2x for the 'best fit'?
That might be shaving it a bit close - everything would have to be perfectly centered!

If you are determined to get a better fit there are two ways to go.

Keep your camera and get a 2x projection eyepiece - upgrade to full frame later (if you feel the need)
or
get a full frame to go with your 2.5 projection eyepiece - upgrade to a 2x projection eyepiece later (if you feel the need)

The area of the intermediate image that my camera captures is similar to yours - however since I tend to photograph small things it is not really a problem, might even be an advantage.

In your case however, as you mostly photograph plant sections, I can see how capturing more of the intermediate image would be worthwhile.

Remember ... best prices are found when one is not in a rush!

Note: A lot of photography aficionados regularly replace their cameras as they strive to keep up with the latest marketing hype - which effectively means there are a lot of lightly used newish cameras around.

Make sure that the pixel size is small enough before you buy.

75RR

#10 Post by 75RR » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:05 am

-
Olympus projection eyepiece link: http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... ieces.html

beemer

#11 Post by beemer » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:43 am

Good advice!
Remember ... best prices are found when one is not in a rush!
Note: A lot of photography aficionados regularly replace their cameras as they strive to keep up with the latest marketing hype - which effectively means there are a lot of lightly used newish cameras around
You'll need a PE 2.5x projection lens (for 35 mm full-frame cameras), a U-SPT photo tube (or U-DPT if you want to mount two cameras) to mount on top of the trinoc head, and a camera adapter such as the Diagnostic Instruments PA1-10A with a Canon T-ring mounted on top of that.
The DA instruments adapter is easier to find than the beige Olympus Photo Microadapter L shown in the other thread, the top has T-threads so it works directly with a T-Ring, and is probably a lot cheaper. It works perfectly with my 5D MkII. I've been using that configuration for years
Thanks Tom, These pieces have also been echoed by mrsonchus.

Thank you all for your input. I've learned a lot just in the info posted here so far. Most grateful!
I will be travelling overseas for the next month and may/may not have access to reliable internet. For those curious, I'm heading to Ireland and NYC :) I will try to catch up with future posts as I can.

Kind regards to all, John

beemer

#12 Post by beemer » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:56 am

Also, I stumbled upon this option. Seems interesting as it looks to be a single item (plus the T adapter for the specific DSLR). If I understand correctly, this one item will negate the need for a U-SPT, the PE 2.5x and the camera adapter tube (Olympus Photo Microadapter L or Diagnostic Instruments PA1-10A). Does anyone know of this piece? (The DE25BXT is made for the BX scope... there are many options for various cameras/microscopes)
It's not exactly cheap but combine the price of all three alternative pieces, this might make sense...(?)
Cheers, John (I'll be back)

75RR

#13 Post by 75RR » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:25 am

For those curious, I'm heading to Ireland and NYC
There is a lot of microscopy equipment sloshing around ebay.com(usa), some of which is quite reasonably priced, especially if one can avoid postage and tax.

Scarodactyl

#14 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:41 pm

beemer wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:56 am
Also, I stumbled upon this option.
The spot/diagnostic instruments adapters are quite well made, and since this is a non compensating eyepiece it's replacing it should give good results.

apochronaut

#15 Post by apochronaut » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:22 pm

These are all good recommendations but for the benefit of those reading this that are new to setting up a photo system, or for those finding a bargain 2 X photo eyepiece unbranded or from a different maker than their system, it may be important to note that whether any specific photo eyepiece or tube lens adheres to any rules regarding potential field capture or planarity or colour correction, is strictly dependent on that lens being engineered to the system in question. Comparing different magnifications of relay lenses is relevant only to differing magnifications within the same lens series. Various photo relay lenses are designed for different tube lengths and corrections and it is possible that one magnifying 2.5X in the correct system could magnify 5 X in another system. Photo tube lengths are not necessarily the same as viewing tube lengths.

Scarodactyl

#16 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:44 pm

And worse yet, in at least some cases '1x' seems to be defined relative to what they recommend for a 1" sensor (which is going to be in the same broad ballpark given the usual intermediate image size but not the same).

Those generic 2x dslr adapters prove the broad nonuniversality point really well. I have tried one on wild and nikon systems where it was unusably bad, but on a bausch and lomb stereo the result is quite reasonable from first impressions, and maybe quite good (I haven't done proper testing yet).

But spot imaging (or diagnostic instruments) will have done reasonable testing and something you get from them should yield at least acceptable results. But it does come at quite a price.

75RR

#17 Post by 75RR » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:04 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:44 pm
But spot imaging (or diagnostic instruments) will have done reasonable testing and something you get from them should yield at least acceptable results. But it does come at quite a price.
Given those prices ($650 and up) - acceptable does not seem to me to be acceptable.

It would have to be at least either very good or excellent, and even then it does seem rather excessive for a camera setup.

Only an institution or extreme impatience could justify such an outlay.

Scarodactyl

#18 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:03 pm

75RR wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:04 pm
Scarodactyl wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:44 pm
Given those prices ($650 and up) - acceptable does not seem to me to be acceptable.
Agreed, and it's likely it's much better than just acceptable, but I don't want to endorse it without trying it. Their mechanical adapters are excellent, and I have one of their transilluminated bases which is phenomenally built, but I haven't tried their actual optics.
No question that the new prices of setups by DI, martin and others tend to be very high. I guess the only thing I can say in favor of that is that their competition is new adapters bought from the original manufacturer, which are probably similarly priced.

75RR

#19 Post by 75RR » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:35 pm

I guess the only thing I can say in favor of that is that their competition is new adapters bought from the original manufacturer, which are probably similarly priced.
Indeed, in fact they are probably a bit more.

Still, paying institutional prices does not even make sense for an institution, let alone amateur microscopists

Scarodactyl

#20 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:08 pm

Bless those institutions--their overspending enables our surplus buying.
One could try probably 5 different methods with used equipment and still have money left over relative to buying the DI setup new. Unfortunately more recent Spot/DI adapters are not as easy to come across used for cheap right now. Older configurations would have just said to use the 2.5x PE projective. Has anyone suggested trying afocal yet?