Bausch & Lomb Type H, 1932-3...SOLD....

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
Mike-Roscope

Bausch & Lomb Type H, 1932-3...SOLD....

#1 Post by Mike-Roscope » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:30 pm

....SOLD....

Thank you all for the overwhelming responses and inquiries....

First, the instrument:
Bausch & Lomb Type H Laboratory Microscope in excellent aesthetic condition with original case.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182996291 ... 9947378856
Serial Number - 236740
1932-3 year of manufacture
Model - HA
Body - Vertical Monocular
Stage - Mechanical
Substage - Rack and Pinion
Nose Piece - Triple
Catalogue - #31-21-54-08
Code - AGOBB
Objectives -
Achromatic 10x (16mm) 0.25
Achromatic 43x (4mm) 0.65
Achromatic 97x (1.8mm) 1.25 Oil Immersion Objective
Huygenian Eyepieces -
5x
10x
Abbe Condenser 1.20

Here is a link to a catalogue from circa 1935 with the H types - https://vademecummicroscope.files.wordp ... pesopt.pdf

Second, the history:

The original owner was Lucy Ozarin-
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_Ozarin
World renown physician, psychiatrist, archivist, commissioned officer in the US Navy, and long lived, at 103, professional. Please read the wiki page, and do a search of her name to reveal even more fascinating facts about Miss Ozarin’s life. We believe the scope was purchased at the now defunct B M Levoy, NYC in and around the time of manufacture as that would coincide with Miss Ozarin’s entry to Medical school.

Third, why it’s being sold, who should buy this instrument, and how to purchase and complete this transaction:

I am associated with a small church to whom I provide pro bono valuations and estimates on items that come through their thrift store. I am in possession, temporarily albeit, of this instrument, and they have asked me to sell it as part of their fundraising effort.

Anyone can buy and own this wonderful instrument. However, if you’re a medical professional/student, female, Jewish, historian, New Yorker who has an association with Brownsville, Brooklyn and/or Inwood and Lawrence, NY this item will have special significance. After reading more about Miss Ozarin you will undoubtedly make even more connections as her life was so rich and varied.

Purchase price is dependent upon you, the buyer; make an offer please, and we’ll work out the details thereafter for payment and shipment. I know from my research that this scope was priced at $155 back in 1932, and I would hope that it will have appreciated some in the ensuing 80+ years, but I am going to rely upon you solely for valuations of purchase price.

Also, as an added bonus, I am going to include the Asahi Optical ASA Tokyo Scope as well (also seen in the Flickr link) as that also was part of the donation. Not sure of its history or value as my own research has not yielded much in the way of information, but it is part and parcel of this lot.

Do not hesitate to let me know your thoughts. I was hoping for a more thorough return when I posted in the Introduction section of the forum, but perhaps I will yield a more healthy response by posting in the for sale section.

Thanks for your interest and consideration - Michael aka Mike-Roscope

Mike-Roscope

Re: Bausch & Lomb Type H, 1932-3...SOLD....

#2 Post by Mike-Roscope » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:47 pm

Bringing back this thread because I think the eventual outcome will be interesting: I had this scope sold, buyer backed out, and honestly got tired of attempting to sell. I am now donating this to the National Institute of Health Stetten Museum in Bethesda, Maryland. I have been on a quest to establish provenance, and I am still tying some loose ends together but after a lovely correspondence between the Curator, Miss Michele Lyons, the scope does have historical significance and belongs in a museum. So, we’re looking at a late October donation.
Mike-Roscope

wstenberg

#3 Post by wstenberg » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:20 pm

Thank you for making the generous donation.
As a veteran of the US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, I agree that the place for this artifact is in a museum where it can shine as a testament to her esteemed career.
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

mnmyco

#4 Post by mnmyco » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:50 pm

The B & L is in great condition. I hope it ends up in something better than a display cabinet.

MNMyco

Mike-Roscope

#5 Post by Mike-Roscope » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:30 pm

Sounds like if it is going to a museum that being in a display cabinet meant for public viewing would be the ultimate outcome...what other, better options are there that I’m missing?

Mike-Roscope

#6 Post by Mike-Roscope » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:22 pm

Happy Ending - as of today, November 5, 2019, Dr. Ozarin’s Microscope is now possessed by the Stetten Museum, NIH in Bethesda, MD. Having been in frequent contact with the curator over many weeks, and after fairly exhaustive research, I am 100% positive that this scope was purchased and owned by Dr. Lucy. I have been informed that the scope will feature prominently in the museum’s microscope collection, and that Dr. Lucy’s contributions to the medical world will not be forgotten. Please visit the museum when chance takes you to Maryland.

Mike-Roscope

#8 Post by Mike-Roscope » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:49 am

The Curator at the Stetten Museum forwarded to me these links -

Tweet: https://twitter.com/historyatnih/status ... 9944755200

Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/nihhistory/pho ... =3&theater

I do not participate in either social media platform, but I know that many do so I thought that with the aid of my fellow members we can spread the word digitally, thank you.

MichaelG.

#9 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:59 am

Mike-Roscope wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:58 pm
And, accessioned :
https://onih.pastperfectonline.com/webo ... 9280997140
Nicely documented

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

apochronaut

#10 Post by apochronaut » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:40 pm

That was very well done. Circumstances like this one, often get missed...... great job of adding the microscope and Dr. Ozarin's contributions to public recognition.

Mike-Roscope

#11 Post by Mike-Roscope » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:46 pm

MichaelG - The professionals at the Stetten Museum are just that; professional. A whole lot of time and effort went into establishing provenance, and much of what is documented cannot be recorded for public consumption as it would intrude upon the Ozarin family and much of their history. Suffice it to say the curator is satisfied with my research.

Apochronaut - Truth be told, I was feeling very guilty about my efforts to sell. I was hoping that a like-minded historian who is passionately romantic about the past would have purchased it, but a very like-minded historian who is passionately romantic about the past ending up being the curator of the Stetten Museum, and I cannot think of better hands to have hold Dr. Lucy’s wonderful instrument.