Differences between various Leica DM*** models?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
zebulun

Differences between various Leica DM*** models?

#1 Post by zebulun » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:32 pm

Hi, I'm trying to figure out what the differences are between the various Leica DM*** models, such as:

DMR
DMRB
DMLB
DMRX
DMRXE

I'm not having much luck searching on google. Does anyone have any insight?

PeteM

Re: Differences between various Leica DM*** models?

#2 Post by PeteM » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:09 pm

There are both online manuals for many of these scopes and various sites (dealers, Ebay) that list models, their equipment and options, with photos. A picture, as they say, is with 1K words.

The DM series spans a very wide range from cheaper educational units (e.g. DME, DM up to DM500), to ordinary lab quality units (e.g. DMLS, DM1000), to entry level research scopes capable of DIC (e.g. DMLB, DM2000), to massive research stands with all sorts of options (e.g. DMR and DMRB, DM6000 etc.).

One of the complications with Leica is that they changed how they did corrections at various points in time. So not all components from the earliest infinity systems (Delta), and later "HC" (harmonic) and still more recent systems are said to be interchangeable. They also changed from RMS objective threads, to 25mm threads, to even larger. So if you buy a Leica infinity system, it might pay to make sure you have something near an original configuration, or pay attention in adding bits over time.

zebulun

#3 Post by zebulun » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:08 am

Thank you!
I should have clarified that I'm only talking about the DMR* and DML* variants, not the DME and DM1000/2000/4000/6000 etc.
I've found an online manual for the DMR but no manual/info about the DMRB, DMRX, DMRXE or what the difference is between DMR and DML.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:41 am

The DML(B etc.) scopes are stands about the size of an Olympus BX or Nikon Eclipse series. These can typically be fitted to do phase, polarized, DIC etc. Typically all the scope a hobbyist (or, say, medical user) might want once fully equipped.

The DMR, DMRB, DMRX etc. are all massive research scopes. They're capable of handling multiple light sources (as many as four hanging off the back) and multiple modalities on the scope. Depending upon how they're outfitted, many I've seen (DMRX etc.) have only epi illumination. The larger size also makes them a good chassis for things like laser confocal imaging.

Are you trying to decide what sort of scope to buy??

microb

#5 Post by microb » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:33 am

It would be nice to find more documentation on the DMR series. Leica makes it hard to do that.

The DMRXE seems to have the E indicate that there is a turret for DIC prisms just above the objective. The ones without the E are missing that turret. There can be three turrets above the objectives. The magnifiers and Bertrand lenses have a nob on the right side and are just below the head inside the 2cm thick top metal cover. The filter turret with a nob in front is below that (a B seems to mean no filter cube turret). And then below that there is the DIC prism and I guess possibly phase contrast annulus holding turret. Haven't seen phase contrast set up on a DMR -- that's just my sampling. There is a side window to allow something like LIBS to be attached if a mirror in the filter cube turret aims off at 90 degrees to the left side of the chassis.

These seem to be the lettered labels, each with a mix of red or black stripes on the chassis. All black ones seem to be older, or coinciding with original owners using them for metallurgical purposes like in Silicon Valley. That might be a false correlation.
DMR
DMRB
DMRE
DMRX
DMRXE

The B seems to mean no filter cube turret, but some have reflectance axis filters and irises. But the front nob to change filter cubes is missing.

The X seems appears on a lot of the ones with the LED window in the base to show Z-axis motoring height. But there are black labeled DMRX's though that are not Z-motorized. Motorized have white knobs and buttons near them to move in 25um increments.

The manual for "DM R" shows both reflectance and transmission. I always assumed the R meant reflectance.

There are DMRB's with transmission axis, so let me know if you find out what X is, but it doesn't seem to mean transmission or motoring.

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:16 am

It's not just the DMRXE that has a turret option for DIC prisms. DMR and DMRB can be so fitted.

I have a DMRB and it also has space where cubes could be fitted.

I do know that there is an optical difference (where corrections are performed) between black lettered and red lettered DMR series scopes. The black ones have something closer to Delta optics where the eyepieces didn't do a whole lot of correction. The red ones are the "HC" series where corrections were split more evenly between objectives, tube lens, and eyepieces. There's a Leica paper somewhere on the Web about how great this was supposed to be. In any case, they are apparently now back to relatively neutral eyepieces much like their competitors.
Last edited by PeteM on Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

microb

#7 Post by microb » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:24 am

The objective turret is removable and has the turret built in if there. Is the DMRB you mention with its original objective turret? You can buy parts and put them in these unit to add features to a reflective axis.

PeteM

#8 Post by PeteM » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:36 am

Microb, my DMRB has a turret that is held on with socket head screws. Various turrets are available for either transmitted or reflected objectives; though a changeover takes a couple minutes. Immediately above the turret is space for either a 4 position DIC turret or a sort of plastic fascia. Above that is space for cubes. The DMR documentation (available online) is essentially the same.

Does the DMRX or DMRXE have an easily removable turret, as might be found in an Olympus BX or a Nikon Eclipse series?

microb

#9 Post by microb » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:03 am

I think they all have screws holding them in. No dovetails.

If anyone finds meaning in the R, X, E, and B; I'd be curious to know.

PeteM

#10 Post by PeteM » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:06 am

The "DM" is for Das Mikroskop.

I vaguely recall (?) the "R" meaning Research.

The "E" is apparently for the electronic focusing option.

The "X" might be for an automated turret.

zebulun

#11 Post by zebulun » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:57 am

Thanks for the help!

I found this site which mentions a DMRA and DMRXA, so there's also an "A" variant.

It seems the "X" does refer to a motorized turret as Pete suggested.

It's not clear from that page what the "A" refers to.
Attachments
DMRA
DMRA
IMG_2917.jpg (86.46 KiB) Viewed 5861 times
DMRXA
DMRXA
IMG_2919-171x150.jpg (8.55 KiB) Viewed 5861 times

Piter_

#12 Post by Piter_ » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:16 am

I shall have somewere a manual for DMRE. If I find then I will share...

Piter_

#13 Post by Piter_ » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:31 am