isn't this a good deal for a Leica microscope ?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Marco68

isn't this a good deal for a Leica microscope ?

#1 Post by Marco68 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:03 pm

I keep looking around looking for the perfect deal for me to make a step forward in my hobby :

Isn't this a good deal for a Leica microscope with planar lens ?? if yes, please do not bid !! )))) :D :D

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Leica-DMLS-Micr ... Swi~FeHXkE
Marco from Italy/Torino
Leica DMLS microscope with 4x, 10x, 40x, 100x

Hobbyst46

Re: isn't this a good deal for a Leica microscope ?

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:56 pm

As far as it is binocular, photomicrography with it will be inconvenient. I would look for a trinocular.

Marco68

#3 Post by Marco68 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:06 pm

Yes, this would be perfect if i would not have to pay 140$ for shipment from Usa (+ custom duties ?)

https://www.ebay.it/itm/LEICA-DMLS-TRIN ... d42b845e92
Marco from Italy/Torino

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:12 pm

The DMLS is a very good microscope, both ergonomic to use and reliable, and they usually go for more than that listing.

A few points:
- It's hard to find one less than $1000 US complete and with a trinocular head - and you likely want one as noted above
- The optics of a Reichert Microstar 410 are essentially the same as those Leica C-Plan objectives. The 410, at least in the US, often goes for less money and is slightly more likely to have a trinocular head.
- Even better objectives are available for the DM series Leicas in the form of Leica N Plan (wider field) and Leica Fluotars (even wider field and better corrections).
- The finite Leitz Laborlux S with EF objectives that you were considering would be near as good, optically, as a DMLS with C Plan objectives. About the same resolution, maybe ever so slightly better contrast in newer Leica objectives.

Marco68

#5 Post by Marco68 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:41 pm

Eventually i crossed my fingers, closed my eyes and pushed the botton "make an offer"..the timing was perfect and i won the bid !

Leica DMLS is ON THE WAY to my home (hopefully))) :shock: :shock: !!!
Looking forward to have it at home 😅😅

Now the description of the product on ebay was very very basic :

=======
The Leica DMLS Is a high quality laboratory brightfield microscope.
The Leica DMLS binocular microscope has a 12v/30w halogen bulb.
Standard features include the X/Y mechanical stage with right hand controls, and 10x/22mm focusing eyepieces
4X, 10X, 40X, Objectives
Everything works and in good condition.
240v
=========

From the pics i see it has the standard CPlan infinity objective.

What i need now (well, after few.months of usage):

1) 1 more objective. I want to develop my "competence" in microorganism (still as hobby) and i think a 63x or 100x objective may help ?
I understand Reichert maybe compatible. Would this extremly cheap one make sense? :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/REICHERT-PLAN- ... SwoCFeI4oR

2) An adaptor for my Fuji mirrorless. Would this make sense ?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073F63V5D?re ... 520_dpLink

3) as alternative to the 2) an eyepiece camera (3MP ?) .

Any adivice is very very much appreciated !!!!

Thanks
Marco from Italy/Torino

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:49 pm

Congratulations on the DMLS.

I wouldn't suggest a dry 63x objective. It won't add much clarity beyond the 40x you already have. Either an oiled 60x or 100x will give you your best bet at truly small (and shallow depth of field) microorganisms.

The Reichert would likely be somewhat compatible, but with a few things to know:
- It will require an adapter to go from RMS to 25mm thread to fit your DMLS.
- It won't be parfocal -- and will run into the slide if you forget to lower the stage every time you rotate this objective around.
- It's an older generation and won't likely have the more modern coatings and good contrast even compared to your basic C plan achro objectives.
- Judging from the screw on the knurled collar, this objective may have some sort of adjustment (cover slip? iris?) - those are often stuck in older objectives

wabutter

#7 Post by wabutter » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:15 am

That Reichert objective is from the Polyvar /Ultrastar rather than the Leica 410. The other difference is the reference focal length is 183mm vs 200mm for the DMLS. Consequently the true magnification would not be as indicated.

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:10 pm

PeteM wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:49 pm
Congratulations on the DMLS.

I wouldn't suggest a dry 63x objective. It won't add much clarity beyond the 40x you already have. Either an oiled 60x or 100x will give you your best bet at truly small (and shallow depth of field) microorganisms.
Although hard to find, there were both oil and glycerin immersion 63X N.A. 1.0 planchromat objectives out of the Reichert infinity R.M.S. D.I.N. production. There was not a dry 63X to my knowledge but they did make some objectives in the late 80's , probably for the Diavar 2 that surprise me when I come across them. There was also a 40X 1.0 oil planapo. Using one of those with 15X eyepieces has proven to be a better option than the 63X glycerin planachro, in my experience.
PeteM wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:49 pm
The Reichert would likely be somewhat compatible, but with a few things to know:
- It will require an adapter to go from RMS to 25mm thread to fit your DMLS.
- It won't be parfocal -- and will run into the slide if you forget to lower the stage every time you rotate this objective around.
- It's an older generation and won't likely have the more modern coatings and good contrast even compared to your basic C plan achro objectives.
- Judging from the screw on the knurled collar, this objective may have some sort of adjustment (cover slip? iris?) - those are often stuck in older objectives
You underestimate the quality of the Reichert D.I.N. infinity objectives. Unless you have some post 2005 manufacture 100X planapo objectives kicking around from Zeiss,Leica, Nikon or Olympus, you haven't used one as good and it will even give them a run for their money. Yes, it has an iris. All of the objectives out of that program, with an N.A. over .70 were fitted with an iris. The design is very good. I have never seen one that was stuck or stiff and I have had I think 7 maybe 8 of them in my hands.

Rossf

#9 Post by Rossf » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:01 am

Congrats Macro68-on your first post I clicked the eBay link and thought “poor macro68-its slipped away from him”-then I read later you got it-hope it’s a good scope for you.
Ross

Marco68

#10 Post by Marco68 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:45 am

Yes...i was actually the only bidder. Hopefully i am not the only stupid one that did not realize it is a rip-off )) i will let you know. It is on the way to my home.

Now i will play a bit and try understand what extra options (100x, camera ?) i need (if i need). I just saw yesterday incredible videos..i have contacted the author and he told me that all was made with smartphone hand held ..))
Marco from Italy/Torino

Marco68

#11 Post by Marco68 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:03 pm

Please allow me to share my frustration ... PostNord DK has lost my Leica DMLS that was shipped from Denmark to Italy 10 days ago. It tooks me 1 month to find the perfect ebay deal.. and it is now lost in the Hyperspace !! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :o :o :o
I think I'll change hobby )))))
Marco from Italy/Torino

MicroBob

#12 Post by MicroBob » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:08 pm

Hi Marco,
since at least two shipping companies are involved there is the chance that your parcel is not really lost but just now a bit out of their control. Perhaps it turns up when they do their weekly floor sweeping. I wish you good luck!

Bob

Marco68

#13 Post by Marco68 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:42 pm

Hi Bob,

Let's cross finger .. ! Hopefully it has not been used by the Post Nord cleaning ladies as a step to clean some high shelves :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Marco from Italy/Torino

Scarodactyl

#14 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:20 pm

I lost a Leica this way once too (a stereo, all inside the US too!)
It's a pain, but there are plenty of microscope fish in the microscope sea.

PeteM

#15 Post by PeteM » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:36 pm

FWIW, I've had packages show up weeks late. Perhaps your DMLS is yet to come, Marco. One case, my local post office knocked a pricey objective off a shelf and they didn't find and deliver it until two months later.

Marco68

#16 Post by Marco68 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:14 pm

Thanks All for the psycological support )) !

I keep refreshing the webpage with the Tracking number waiting to see something different then "The shipment item has left the country of the sender" .

The call center told me there is little hope to find it after 10days ... but a miracle can always happen :D :D :D
Marco from Italy/Torino

Rossf

#17 Post by Rossf » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:19 am

This has happened a few times to me with camera lenses-they turned up about 6 weeks later-but I get it-the lack of info can be sooo irritating....hope it arrives soon unexpectedly and you have an unexpectedly exciting day unpacking!
Regards ross

Marco68

#18 Post by Marco68 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:59 pm

Thanks... Let's Cross finger ..even if waiting 6 weeks for it will drive me crazy !
Yes, I will still wait 1-2 more weeks. Well..anyway, ebay insurance will (should) cover me and I am ready for a new fishing/hunting ! ;) Maybe this time I will directly look for a trinocular. :roll:
Marco from Italy/Torino

Marco68

#19 Post by Marco68 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:05 am

Well guys, you were right ! Sometimes miracles happen !! 🐌🐌🐌 got it after 15 days ))

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... dFwSRQYDUC

My first 2 questions:

1) why the lamp light is so yellow, compared to my previous chinese Amscope ?

2) i need to keep my eyes 1-2 cm away from the eyepieces in a not very confortable.and stable position. Should i buy some eyecups ?

Thanks !
Marco from Italy/Torino

PeteM

#20 Post by PeteM » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:17 am

Glad it finally arrived.

The yellow tint is most likely just the halogen lamp. At low intensities it may have a color temperature below 2000K. Even on high (and shorter lamp life) it may only approach a color temp of 3000K. Your previous scope might have had a different lamp (LED? fluorescent?) or a blue daylight filter inserted somewhere. You could also add a blue filter or just make whatever color corrections you want digitally. Personally, I prefer the somewhat "warmer" tint of tungsten illumination.

A second and remote possibility is that the power supply is bad. I've seen this in a couple of these scopes, resulting in a VERY dim and VERY yellow lamp. That doesn't seem to be the case from your slide images, but if you can't get bright enough light at 400x then now is the time to deal with this issue.

You might well like to add some rubber eyecups. Measure the objective diameter and check online (Ebay etc.). Should be cheap. Could take a while since they'll likely be coming from a dealing-with-virus China and somewhat disrupted logistics. The high eyepoint is actually a feature many, especially those wearing eyeglasses, pay extra for in better quality eyepieces.

Marco68

#21 Post by Marco68 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:13 pm

Thanks

Well, the eyecups are definetly something i need. I am not sure how people can keep the right distance from the eyepieces without them .. External diameter is 33mm. So, one of the below should fit:

https://www.amazon.it/copri-oculare-gom ... 502&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.it/JunYe-Protezioni- ... 104&sr=8-2

About the yellow light, yes. I had a 1w LED light before, while the Leica has these halogen lamps :
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... dFwSRQYDUC

It becomes a little more white if i increase the intensity but then it is too bright for my eyes. I definetly do not like that yellow light...maybe i should consider a retrofit to LED.
Marco from Italy/Torino

Hobbyst46

#22 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:34 pm

Please note that the inner diameter of the eyecup should be slightly smaller than the external diameter of the tube, otherwise they easily slip and fall off when one removes the dust cover from the microscope.

Was photo no. _5910 taken with the halogen light ? it does not seem very yellow. Anyway, I would try some more photography optimization and image tweaking. First of all, it is important to set the illumination to Kohler. With the halogen light. And better try other illumination modes and see if the halogen light is sufficiently bright. LED is not always better.

mrsonchus

#23 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:57 pm

Hi Marco, a nice looking 'scope!

Perhaps a variable neutral -density filter (as screwed onto the fron of a camera) on top of the light port will help. With this you'll be able to to keep the halogen at it's whitest full-ish setting and control light intensity with a turn of the rotating VND filter....
I used one on my Orthoplan's light port for the same reason and it worked like a charm - just choose one of a diameter about an inch larger than the light port to let it sit comfortably...

This is the sort I mean - they work perfectly and are very convenient indeed...
John B

PeteM

#24 Post by PeteM » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:52 pm

You could just drop a blue (80a) camera filter over the field lens to get close to what you like in terms of a cooler LED lamp. Simplest might be to measure the inner or outer diameter of the plastic surround and then guesstimate what size blue filter would best fit. A few hundred to choose from and many very inexpensive:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... r+daylight

MicroBob

#25 Post by MicroBob » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:14 pm

Hi Marco,
aren't you from a bicycle nation? A piece of inner tube, pulled over the eyepiece, folded back and pulled over the eyepiece again give a nice and comfortable eyecup. Commercial eyecups usually are held in a groove in the eyepiece so an off-brand eyecup might not fit you eyepieces very well.

Bob

Marco68

#26 Post by Marco68 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:57 pm

Thanks Hobbyst46,
All of them are taken with Halogen light. Let's say that after the first shock, the yellow light doesn't look that bad. I just need to increase a little bit the brightness to make less evident and with the picture i can desaturate a little bit
About illumination technique i think there is a lot for me to study. Really no idea what is Kohler and dark field mode..and no idea if i can do with my Leica ! Well... i need to stop writing around and download some east books ))))

Thanks John, Pete,
Playing with filters will be definetly fun and unexpensive! I will certainly try !

Hi Bob,
Well i could never imagine to have such an artigianal solution ..but it makes sense ! Excellent idea..it will be interesting to see the reaction in the bike shop when i explain the reason i need a piece of innertube ))))

About the microscope mechanics i've noticed that when i touch a little bit the stage control, i see vibrations in the view . It looks like i have to tighten some screw in the stage control.

One more doubt: on the 10x objective i see 0.17 is not indicated. I can read on the objective: infinite/-/⬆️. Not sure of the meaning. Does it mean it is not designed to be used with coverslips??
Marco from Italy/Torino

Hobbyst46

#27 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:07 pm

Marco68 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:57 pm
One more doubt: on the 10x objective i see 0.17 is not indicated. I can read on the objective: infinite/-/⬆️. Not sure of the meaning. Does it mean it is not designed to be used with coverslips??
the "-" means that it can be used with or without a coverslip.

Hobbyst46

#28 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:12 pm

Marco68 wrote:
About illumination technique i think there is a lot for me to study. Really no idea what is Kohler and dark field mode..and no idea if i can do with my Leica
This Leica model has Kohler as far as I saw in brochures.

MicroBob

#29 Post by MicroBob » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:36 pm

Marco68 wrote:
i see vibrations in the view . It looks like i have to tighten some screw in the stage control.
The image and the vibrations are magnified a lot, so some movement under force in normal. It should behave like this: The stronger you press, the further it moves. If it rattles back and forth in a certain range without any real force there is something loose or needs at least a bit of dampening grease.

Nice your microscope turned up in the end!

Bob

apochronaut

#30 Post by apochronaut » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:34 am

You should never operate halogen lamps at a voltage that allows them to produce a yellow glow. They need to be operated at no lower than 80% of the recommended voltage even 90%, otherwise they will undergo tungsten deposition on the quartz envelope , darken and burn out prematurely. All quality microscopes have methods of illumination control that meets the requirements of normal BF microscopy. Usually the combination of Kohler adjustment, iris adjustment at the condenser and physical height adjustment of the condenser is enough to obtain a perfect intensity. A light blue filter also usually helps because it not only helps to mimic a sky light situation but it increases contrast and filters out a bit of chroma too. A neutral density filter can only help because ideally, you want to run the lamp at full voltage.
Don't be afraid to rack the condenser down for low N.A. objectives. It is desirable to have the condenser and objective working at the same N.A., so it is possible with practice to adjust both the illumination intensity and the N.A mostly with the condenser. With oil immersion of course , you want the condenser at the top and preferably oiled if it has an N.A. above 1.0. Under such circumstances you will not likely find the illumination too bright. Seldom is a neutral density filter needed when using objectives over 40X.