Zeiss 3 way beam splitter - double image

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
MikeBradley

Zeiss 3 way beam splitter - double image

#1 Post by MikeBradley » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:01 pm

I recently purchased this Zeiss 3 Way Beam Splitter with drawing attachment (part 47 30 51). The plan was to use it in outreach with cameras and the drawing attachment. It appeared to be in pristine condition externally and the vendor had described the optics as excellent. When I use it in straight-through mode the images are sharp and clear but as soon as the beam splitter is in the light path the images are doubled laterally. What could cause this? I suspect that the beam splitter is misaligned, if that is the case, is it feasible for an amateur to repair this sort of defect?
Thanks
Michael
Attachments
IMG_9553crop700.jpg
IMG_9553crop700.jpg (67.99 KiB) Viewed 3733 times
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

MikeBradley

Re: Zeiss 3 way beam splitter - double image

#2 Post by MikeBradley » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:12 pm

Unfortunately I didn’t get any responses to my original posting.

I’d originally had great hopes for using the beam splitter at outreach events, but I’m now considering returning the faulty unit to the vendor and trying to find another one. In other respects it is in near mint condition and I could use it for some applications while I try to fix the misalignment. Is it feasible for an amateur to repair this sort of defect? If so, where might i find how to?
Thanks
Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

wstenberg

Re: Zeiss 3 way beam splitter - double image

#3 Post by wstenberg » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:50 pm

Michael,
Probably no one has ever had one of these open before. Difficult to guess what might be wrong. My guess is something has come loose or fallen off. Be sure to post if you figure it out.
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar