starting with olympus CX23

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
darky

starting with olympus CX23

#1 Post by darky » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:56 pm

Hello, is the olympus cx23 a good microscope to start with ?
It would be my first microscope. Is it made in Japan.
Other suggestions are welcome, but like to have a microscope not made in China.
Thanks

75RR

Re: starting with olympus CX23

#2 Post by 75RR » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:04 pm

The argument against generic microscopes (also known as Chinese, though they are not exclusively so) boils down to price, build quality, upgradeability and resale value.

I refer to used microscopes of course, as the price of new non generic microscopes is generally considered prohibitive for most mere mortals.

The big four (non generic) microscope manufacturers are Leitz/Leica, Nikon, Olympus and Zeiss. They are top of the line, but not the only good microscope manufacturers.

PZO, LOMO, Reichert, American Optical and Zeiss Jena are some others that also meet the price, build quality, upgradeability and resale value goals.

Do note that most of these manufacturers also make “student microscopes” for the classroom, these are designed to be teenager proof.

That means that some parts are harder to remove and that upgradeability is generally more limited. The Olympus CX23 falls into this category.

With all that in mind, the short answer is yes, a used Olympus CX23 will do nicely as a first microscope … subject to condition, configuration, price and last but not least - your requirements.

https://www.olympus-lifescience.com/en/ ... ight/cx23/
Last edited by 75RR on Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:05 pm

Hi, I'd say you have a cracking start with the Olympus!
John B

daruosha

#4 Post by daruosha » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:48 pm

Olympus CX23 is pretty much limited when it comes to future upgradability. Not even phase contrast or dark field condensers (as far as I know).

I'm also a beginner, but from my 4 months experience of microscopy, i would suggest start with a cheap Chinese clone of Olympus CH series (Amscope T490, etc...) and after a few months of gaining more experience and knowledge, buy a used more upgradable Olympus BH2 or something better (or new models if money doesn't matter).

Chinese stuff have almost no resale value but you can find better ones from better manufacturers (like Novel) with some future upgradability options like phase contrast, different types of condensers, etc...

BTW: Olympus makes its low end stuff in China by Chinese companies AFAIK.
Daruosh.