Latest image

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
McConkey

Latest image

#1 Post by McConkey » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:21 am

Over the last few days I've been paying more attention to camera settings instead of scope setup in an attempt to improve image quality. I found that having my ISO set to "auto" to achieve faster shutter speeds/correctly exposed images was decreasing the image quality and introducing a fair amount of noise, my camera (Canon M3) also has built in corrections which it can apply to images immediately after capture (exposure, colour, sharpening, noise reduction, contrast ect), having played around with these "auto enhancements", i decided they were doing more harm than good and again, decrease the overall image quality...especially when combined with the high ISO from using Auto ISO.

In the end I settled on using the lowest ISO possible for my camera (100) and decreasing the shutter speed to achieve a well balance exposure. Obviously this method doesn't work for any moving critters but for stationary subjects i found it increased the image quality a decent amount.

This was just a small 5 image stack but I'm happy with the results compared to what I would normally see coming out of the camera. Perfecting DIC setup, illumination and stacking are all still works in progress!

I believe this was taken with the 20x/.50 Plan achro so the scale should be accurate :?
Attachments
FullStack.jpg
FullStack.jpg (39.32 KiB) Viewed 5106 times
Karl
AO21 with Canon M3

75RR

Re: Latest image

#2 Post by 75RR » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:44 am

Very nice! Well done!
In the end I settled on using the lowest ISO possible for my camera (100) and decreasing the shutter speed to achieve a well balance exposure. Obviously this method doesn't work for any moving critters but for stationary subjects i found it increased the image quality a decent amount.
Manual setting is indeed best for Photography though the microscope.

Remember to set lens at true infinity and tape in position if it does not coincide with lens markings.

Moving objects require flash ... or video ;)
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:08 am

Wow, Karl. glad you are released from captivity and great that you have dusted off the 21 and are doing some nice microscopy.

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:40 am

Attractive image !

WhyMe

#5 Post by WhyMe » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:21 am

Very nice photo!

MicrobeGazer45

#6 Post by MicrobeGazer45 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:53 pm

Cool image! I like that red pigment it has. :)
Manuel R.

Microscope: Omegon Binocular Biological Microscope Xsp-44sM Camera: Bresser MikrOkular Full HD Eyepieces: WF10X, WF20X Objective lenses: 4X, 10X, 40X.