Help with ciliate ID

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
MJB

Help with ciliate ID

#1 Post by MJB » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:28 pm

From the Milwaukee River in SE WI.
test _DSC1515 -3.jpg
test _DSC1515 -3.jpg (66.22 KiB) Viewed 3351 times

Bruce Taylor

Re: Help with ciliate ID

#2 Post by Bruce Taylor » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:09 am

For starters, it's not a ciliate. ;)

It seems to be a stramenopile alga of some kind (not my bailiwick...I hope someone else can help. :D).

MJB

#3 Post by MJB » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:20 am

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your help. I'll search for information on stramenopiles and see what I can find. It appears there are a considerable number of different species of these yet this is the first one I've seen in several years of samples viewed.

Mike

Bruce Taylor

#4 Post by Bruce Taylor » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:45 pm

For what it's worth, I suggested a stramenopile alga (chrysophytes, Synurophyceae, etc.) because of the golden colour of the chloroplast, and because the spiny processes reminded me a bit of Mallomonas. However, I am not very good at identifying photosynthetic organisms! :)

MJB

#5 Post by MJB » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:31 am

Hi Bruce,

Well, you're way ahead in this game than I am and in a much better position to give guidance. All of your comments (and critiques) are geatly appreciated. As a quantitative psychologist prefessionally, I'm probably in the place of your former self when you were starting out in this years ago. I'm at the stage where I have the interest, but am a bit overwhelmed at the complexity of the task especially as it involves the technical aspects of microscopy and photography as well as substantive knowledge of all of the micro life I see. So, slow and steady will hopefully win the race.

Mike