Hardware to use Nikon Z50 on Amscope T490B

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
eupher

Hardware to use Nikon Z50 on Amscope T490B

#1 Post by eupher » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:20 pm

I'm about to be brand new to microscopy, and a bit overwhelmed with selecting a microscope and camera. I'm going to be using it to look at things from my aquariums, as well as trying to get my daughter interested in science.

Having budget restrictions, I think I've landed on getting an Amscope T490B-LED. The confusing part is figuring out what camera to get. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a dedicated microscope camera, and was considering the Nikon Z50 instead.

Does anyone know what I would need to mount the Z50 on this microscope and get good images/video?

Thanks in advance!

John

eupher

Re: Hardware to use Nikon Z50 on Amscope T490B

#2 Post by eupher » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:54 pm

Is it as simple as stacking Amscope's F-mount adapter (https://www.amscope.com/canon-and-nikon ... copes.html) with Nikon's mount adapter FTZ (https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-produ ... r-ftz.html)?

Thanks again.

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:22 pm

The Z50 is a mirrorless system, so the flange focal distance is lower (put more simply there is less distance between the opening of the camera and the sensor). As such it's possible that you could just mount the camera on the trinoc port with no intervening optics. That would be a significant savings over buying those adapters and give better results.
In your budget range you might be able to get a better used system, both on the microscope and camera side.

For the scope, depending on where you are you could likely get a used AO, Nikon or Olympus system (or similar), better optics and a more expandable system for similar money. It kind of depends on what exactly you want and where you're located.

If you already have the Z50 mounting one on the scope makes a lot of sense, but if you're just looking to get a dedicated microscope camera you could get something like a used Canon T6 for under 200 bucks, which canon provides free software so you can control it from your computer via usb (preferable) or your phone via the wifi connection (ok but not ideal).

eupher

#4 Post by eupher » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:05 pm

Thanks for the info!

I don't have a Z50, but was looking at it to use as a regular camera in addition to microscope camera. I already have several F-mount Nikon lenses, so the Nikon adapter would interest me anyway.

I'm a bit nervous about buying a used microscope since I know pretty much nothing of what potential issues to identify.

When you say I could just mount the camera on the trinoc port with no intervening optics, how exactly would you do that without the adapters? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm completely new to this.

Also, I'm looking for a solution that will be in focus on the camera and binocular at the same time, and have the same (or close) field of view. Would mounting on the trinoc with no other optics provide this?

Ultimately, I just want something that will be easy to use and give the best image quality without spending a fortune. I just don't know how you determine what's needed.

Thanks so much for the help.