Zeiss Axiomat

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
wstenberg

Zeiss Axiomat

#1 Post by wstenberg » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:31 pm

If you've ever wanted to own an inverted Zeiss Axiomat, now is the time. I've gone through it and everything seems to work. Includes the polarizer and analyzer sliders as well as the two iris sliders. The photo port is build into the side. One binocular with two 10x oculars. You can later add a second binocular to the side port if needed. There are two reticle sliders, not shown. Both look good. The stage is not included- just shown for demonstration. I have a temporary plywood stage- it can be used as a pattern to make an aluminum stage, or you can look for an original Axiomat stage.
I'll include 3 objectives, 5x, 10x, 25x. The corner bolts are missing- but they are 10mm extra fine thread-common enough. Also PDF copies of the manual. This is the inverted version, but the modules can be reversed to make an upright Axiomat.

Less than 650 of these were ever made; the exact number is not known. These were the pinnacle of microscope engineering in the 1970-80s. It was the Zeiss introduction to infinity optics. This microscope originally sold for about US$ 100,000. It was supposed to usher in a whole new design in microscopy with limitless possibilities. Easy access to all the conjugate planes for accessories. The only problem was that they were too expensive. No one wanted to spend $100,000 for a microscope. The projected first run was supposed to be 800 microscopes, but the project was stopped earlier due to lackluster sales. Originally designed for biomedical research, many of them were scooped up by the semiconductor industry.

There are still some in use at prestigious research institutions. Woods Hole in Massachusetts continues to publish cutting-edge research with their Axiomat (also the inverted version like this).

Now you can own a piece of Zeiss history. Once of the most robust microscopes ever made. I bought this microscope for the sake of one of the accessories. I have two Axiomats on the bench, and I don't have room for three!

$1500 plus actual freight for forum members, actually a bargain. I'll list it on eBay in a week or two.

I also have an Axiomat analog photo module available separately.

Thanks for looking
Attachments
IMG_1107.JPG
IMG_1107.JPG (89.69 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
IMG_1109.JPG
IMG_1109.JPG (102.11 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
IMG_1108.JPG
IMG_1108.JPG (102.65 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
IMG_1105.JPG
IMG_1105.JPG (102.2 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
IMG_1104.JPG
IMG_1104.JPG (107.66 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

microb

Re: Zeiss Axiomat

#2 Post by microb » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:06 am

I'm just curious since I have some of the Axiomat slides: What are these two slides?

Thanks,
Ted
Attachments
Untitledadapterquery.png
Untitledadapterquery.png (479.52 KiB) Viewed 4441 times

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:20 am

Nice!

If I lived in the United States, had a larger pension, more space and an understanding wife I would be tempted ;)
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

wstenberg

#4 Post by wstenberg » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:28 pm

The two sliders on the front:
The top one is the lambda plate, for polarized light.
The lower is the analyzer for Polarized light and DIC (It's labeled DIK; I think that's German!).

There are a lot of sliders and controls. The engineers wanted full control of the optical path when they designed this. Everything is built in.

Thanks for asking!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

wabutter

#5 Post by wabutter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:38 am

They can also be made into a nice coffee table with just a bit of modification. :D

wstenberg

#6 Post by wstenberg » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:17 am

wabutter wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:38 am
They can also be made into a nice coffee table with just a bit of modification
Yes, really!!!

I once heard a tale of a Leitz salesman who took a Zeiss Axiomat in on trade for a new Leitz microscope. Then he actually set up the Axiomat as a coffee table in his office.

Sounds like just an urban legend, BUT one time I bought an old Axiomat, and on careful examination, there were really coffee cup stains on the top!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar