Leitz Ploemopak fluorescence filter cubes, compatibility?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Rorschach

Leitz Ploemopak fluorescence filter cubes, compatibility?

#1 Post by Rorschach » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:25 am

Hi,

I know that the Ploemopak nosepiece/filter carousel itself comes in at least four iterations, which are not interchangeable but are specific to certain Leitz scope models. However, am I right in my assumption that the filter cubes are interchangeable among all the Ploemopaks?

And if yes, how far into the future does this compatibility extend? Do some of the early Leica models of the 90ies share compatibility in this sense (the cubes)?

In general, I have had difficulties finding information on compatibility and "relatedness" of product lines and scope model lines bridging the time in the early 90ies when Leica became a monster that contained all of Wild, Leitz, Cambridge, Reichert etc. For example, what Leica model/line is the successor of the Leitz Orthoplan line? And are there items that would be backwards compatible?

Hobbyst46

Re: Leitz Ploemopak fluorescence filter cubes, compatibility?

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:05 pm

I cannot say about compatibility, but filter cubes have been made by third parties for the major brand microscopes. I would look in Edmund, Newport, Chroma, Omega catalogues.

Rorschach

Re: Leitz Ploemopak fluorescence filter cubes, compatibility?

#3 Post by Rorschach » Mon May 18, 2020 4:01 am

I conversed with a long-time microscope dealer from whom I have bought many parts, and he confirmed that the Leitz filter cubes are indeed universal and work across all the Ploemopaks.

Wasn't sure about later Leica cubes compatibility with the Leitz Ploemopaks but said that Leica manufacturesd cubes of two different sizes: one for research level scopes and a smaller one for lab/clinical level scopes.