Zeiss Universal Focusing Block

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
JGardner

Zeiss Universal Focusing Block

#1 Post by JGardner » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:00 pm

Hi Zeiss experts!

Are focusing blocks with all-metal focusing knobs compatible with Universals with Plastic focusing knobs? Can I do a one-for-one swap?

My Universal (with plastic knobs) has very stiff focusing, and I've found a focusing block that's much smoother and need to know if they're interchangeable.

wstenberg

Re: Zeiss Universal Focusing Block

#2 Post by wstenberg » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:37 pm

Well, I have taken an old, black, metal-knobbed focusing block and put it on a later model Universal with no problem.
I looked through all my microscopes, but they all have metal knobs now.

Should be 100% interchangeable. Go for it!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:58 am

Agree, straight swop. Just the knobs are different - same focus block.
Part 1 - Installing the fine focus shaft clutch plate

1.) The ASI fine focus shaft clutch plate takes the place of the original left fine focus knob. The clutch plate, like the original fine focus knob (ffk) allows the tension of the fine focus assembly to be adjusted. The clutch plate also provides a secure means of extending the fine focus shaft so that the ASI drive can be attached.

2.) There are two versions of the Zeiss Universal microscope. One version like the one shown in the photos in this installation document has black plastic focus knobs. The fine focus shaft for this version has a 5 x 0.5mm thread. The other version of the Zeiss Universal has silver focus knobs. The fine focus shaft for this version has a 10 x 0.5mm thread. If the version of your microscope was not known at the time of the order two brass clutch plate assemblies have been shipped. Please return the unused brass clutch plate assembly to ASI.
http://asiimaging.com/docs/zeiss_universal_zdrive
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

wstenberg

#4 Post by wstenberg » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:30 pm

75RR,
Not to change the subject, but do you have the ASI motor Z-axis controller for the universal? Seems like it should also fit the Standard WL.

I like ASI products, especially their light sheet microscopes. The Z-drive would be handy. We have motor drive on all our microscopes at work; it would be nice to have it at home.

I wonder what it would cost???
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:01 pm

wstenberg wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:30 pm
75RR,
Not to change the subject, but do you have the ASI motor Z-axis controller for the universal? Seems like it should also fit the Standard WL.

I like ASI products, especially their light sheet microscopes. The Z-drive would be handy. We have motor drive on all our microscopes at work; it would be nice to have it at home.

I wonder what it would cost???
No, I don't have one. Don't think it would suit me.

Found this link while looking for info on WL/Universal focus blocks a while back.

I am sure it would work equally well on both the WL and the Photomicroscope, though the instructions don't mention them.

There are however instructions for the Standard 16

Might be me, but I can't locate the Z-drive on their website: http://www.asiimaging.com/products/
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

wstenberg

#6 Post by wstenberg » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:00 pm

Thanks 75RR,
The motorized Z-axis is good for computerized scans that are going to last many hours.

I wrote to ASI for a price quote. Probably out of my range.

I do have motorized focus on my Axiomat at home, and I like it. It's an old-fashioned DC motor, not a stepper motor. It can't be preprogrammed to go to a certain Z-step. It requires a bit of care during use so that it doesn't destroy the objectives by crashing them into the slide.
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar