Hot link and copy protection

Write test posts here. This is the place to experiment with the forum. I may delete the contents from time to time.
The QCC

Hot link and copy protection

#1 Post by The QCC » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:37 pm

This linked image has basic Hot Link and Copy Protection.

It is not 90% safe, but I would be interested to know what method you used to copy the image and or link the image.

Oliver

Re: Hot link and copy protection

#2 Post by Oliver » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:27 pm

Hello,
The hotlink and copy protection makes it more difficult to hotlink and copy images, but once something is online, it is out there. You can always make a screenshot and then save the picture this way. I think that putting a watermark is generally a good idea, and also reducing the image resolution to make republication more difficult.
I would be interested to know what method you used to copy the image and or link the image
You have to display the original HTML code of the website to extract the link to the image. Websites such as photobucket prevent this.

Here is the hotlink to your image (I will remove the hotlink if you want me to, it is a proof-of-concept.):

Edited: the image will show after the post was created/when the page is first displayed, but not later when the page is refreshed....

Oliver.
Last edited by Oliver on Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:39 pm

I can't Hot-Link to it at theqcc.hennig.ca (it is right click disabled) but I can drag it on to my desktop. Once there ...

Oliver has skills I obviously do not have.
By the way microbehunter is not Hot-Link disabled.
Last edited by 75RR on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Oliver

#4 Post by Oliver » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:43 pm

Intresting: when creating the post the image will hotlink, later it will not show. Even though there is a direct image address. Clicking on the link directly will forward to the homepage.

http://theqcc.hennig.ca/Jun/17/Dolerite%20100x_125.jpg

right-clicking can be enabled by disabling javascript, but I have to admit, that I now did not manage to circumvent the redirect.

Oliver
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII

The QCC

#5 Post by The QCC » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:04 pm

Thanks for the comments.
There are two levels of protection.
One on the web page and another on the server.
It is not the most secure as anyone with any knowledge of HTML can look at source or do a screen copy and save the image off line.

I am part of an artists group that is slightly paranoid about protecting their images on line. I am fighting a losing battle trying to convince them to pay for a DigiMarc license.