SWIFT SW380T assistance required

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
WetKnee

SWIFT SW380T assistance required

#1 Post by WetKnee » Mon May 04, 2020 1:30 am

Hi there,

I recently bought the SWIFT SW380T to get started with the hobby. I have been using it all day and have noticed something strange, the scope seems a lot brighter and clearer when looking through the trinocular head rather than the binocular view, is this expected with binocular eyepieces? It is especially noticeable at 1000x magnification, where the image is barely readable through the binocular eyepiece but pretty clear and nice through the top trinocular head.
I have tried adjusting the diaphragm and everything I can see possible, I cant seem to get a clear image at high magnification through the binocs.
Is this a fault with the scope? Any help would be appreciated :D

Thanks!

75RR

Re: SWIFT SW380T assistance required

#2 Post by 75RR » Mon May 04, 2020 4:14 am

There does not seem to be a way to redirect the light in the trinocular head, so you are most probably getting a 50/50 split between the photo port and the binocular.

That effectively means that you get 25% out of each eyepiece.

That should be ok for most situations. Remember that for best results the 100x objective and the condenser should both be oiled to the slide.

The condenser should always, for correct positioning, be very close to the underside of the slide when using medium and higher power objectives.

Do not adjust the brightness by moving the condenser away from the slide, use the dimmer for that.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

WetKnee

#3 Post by WetKnee » Mon May 04, 2020 12:23 pm

interesting, is this split a shortcoming with this scope? I have the LED as bright as possible and condenser closest to the slide. It isnt too much of an issue sub 1000x, but with a 25x eye piece and a 40x objective the image is far too dim to ready through the binocs, but clear as day through the tri head.

Do higher end microscopes redirect a higher percentage of the light?

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Mon May 04, 2020 1:19 pm

Do higher end microscopes redirect a higher percentage of the light?
Most do either a 100/0 and 0/100 or 100/0 and 20/80. Some have 3 positions.
... with a 25x eye piece and a 40x objective the image ...
You really want the main magnification where possible to come from the objective.

If you want 1000x use the 10x eyepieces and the 100x objective.

If the 25x eyepieces weighed anything you could use them as paper weights. Since they most probably don't, just put them away.

They are only included so the sellers can boast of 2500x magnification, which is effectively meaningless.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon May 04, 2020 6:52 pm

WetKnee wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:23 pm
a 25x eye piece
This is likely the problem, yeah. That's giving up most of your light while blowing the image up past its resolution.

garstro

#6 Post by garstro » Wed May 06, 2020 12:49 am

Total newbie to microscopy. I purchased sw380t awhile ago also. It appears I'm not alone with this situation. The problem I have, I thought, was the eyepieces or my eyeballs ( I'm an old-timer ) The higher the objective the blurrier it got. Less blurry thru tri tube though. I also purchased a 21mp c mount camera (usb,hdmi,tf card) & 0.5X adapter. Also purchased 60X objective to replace 100X. I couldn't believe the difference seeing it on 40" screen. Plus I am enjoying the photos & videos I'm saving, but you need a card reader to transfer the images to computer from tf card. Also just bought a 1.0X adapter to see if it will increase magnification to camera or distort everything. Heard these things don't work very well but I'll give it a shot. Kind of like remodeling a house (oh no , now I've got to do this). Sure is fun though.