Leitz PL APO vs NPL Fluorotar

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Lutra87

Leitz PL APO vs NPL Fluorotar

#1 Post by Lutra87 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:53 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has already been asked but: Is it worth the extra bucks to pick up APO lenses and skip the Fluorotar lenses. How big is the difference? Also, why are Leitz lenses in the 170 mm tube length so much cheaper than the 160mm? Also, can Fluorotar and APO lenses be mixed and matched on the same scope?

Rorschach

Re: Leitz PL APO vs NPL Fluorotar

#2 Post by Rorschach » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:07 pm

Hi,

As to the comparison between the two lens families, I don't know. Actually, this question is also on my mind.

170mm tube length objectives are cheaper because they are from an older system. Also, lots of 170mm scopes were made and sold back in the day so they are flooding the market now after having been replaced first by 160 tube length scopes and then by infinity systems.

You can definitely mix Fluotar and Pl Apo lenses on the same nosepiece, provided that they are intended for the same technique, of course, e.g. bright field transmitted. You can even mix 170mm and 160 mm tube length objectives on the same nosepiece to some degree. I believe that 16x and higher magnifications are insensitive to the objective being 160mm or 170mm. Apparently even the low powers work but you lose parfocality.

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:11 pm

Hi, I can comment a little, having had a set of 170mm TL planapo objectives on a Leitz (170mm TL) Orthoplan 'scope. The quality of those objectives is, in my experience, superb - sharp and with excellent colour and corrections, as long as the rest of the system is properly and optimally set-up, including Periplan eyepieces and 'achr' rather than 'as' top-lens would be optimal.
Of particular note I'd mention the trusty 100x 1.25 oil immersion objective - as long as it's the rather rare planapo version not the std version - they look the same but for the barrel markings at a glance. This particular objective was for me at least, in the context (that of all of my comments in this post) of permanently-mounted and stained (in a resinous medium such as 'Omnimount' or 'Histomount') plant tissue sections.
John B

JGardner

#4 Post by JGardner » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:36 pm

mrsonchus wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:11 pm
Hi, I can comment a little, having had a set of 170mm TL planapo objectives on a Leitz (170mm TL) Orthoplan 'scope. The quality of those objectives is, in my experience, superb
How do these objectives compare with modern infinity optics, like those for the Olympus BX scopes? I'm still pondering upgrading the objectives on my Orthoplan or moving to an infinity system like the Oly BX.

Rorschach

#5 Post by Rorschach » Wed May 06, 2020 8:14 pm

mrsonchus wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:11 pm
Hi, I can comment a little, having had a set of 170mm TL planapo objectives on a Leitz (170mm TL) Orthoplan 'scope. The quality of those objectives is, in my experience, superb - sharp and with excellent colour and corrections, as long as the rest of the system is properly and optimally set-up, including Periplan eyepieces and 'achr' rather than 'as' top-lens would be optimal.
Of particular note I'd mention the trusty 100x 1.25 oil immersion objective - as long as it's the rather rare planapo version not the std version - they look the same but for the barrel markings at a glance. This particular objective was for me at least, in the context (that of all of my comments in this post) of permanently-mounted and stained (in a resinous medium such as 'Omnimount' or 'Histomount') plant tissue sections.
What you write about the lenses sounds like music to my ears!

I found the 100x Pl Apo 170mm oil objective on ebay for 30 euros a couple hours ago. By your description, sounds like I committed highway robbery! :D
Seller had perfect feedback and it was described as being in good condition so I have my hopes high for no fungus or delamination.

This one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ernst-Leitz- ... 2749.l2649

BramHuntingNematodes

#6 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Wed May 06, 2020 8:16 pm

I don't know about robbery--that seems like a fair price.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Wed May 06, 2020 8:29 pm

Congratulations! If that one is indeed perfect - and I see no reason to think it isn't, you're in for a real treat. I think the price is a really good one indeed - in my opinion this objective is easily worth say £60-£90 considering just how good the Leitz 170mm TL objectives are, and this one, for me at least, is a real star-performer.

The 170mm TL objectives, Plan or PlanApo, are superb - the relatively low prices of some of them are I suspect a result of their perceived age-limitations, which is rather handy as they are I have certainly found, very good indeed. It's well-worth waiting for the Plans and the PlanApos to come-along, as they invariably will, if you've a 170mm TL Leitz system - mine was the Orthoplan, and was a very close second to my current Olympus BX 'scopes. I did however find a rather poor performance, relative to the BX with 'just' Achromat phase objectives, when using phase contrast with the 402a condenser on the Orthoplan.

Remember, my comments are within the context of about 95% of my particular use, with permanently-mounted and stained thin-sectioned Botanical slides.

Again, congrats!
John B

Rorschach

#8 Post by Rorschach » Wed May 06, 2020 8:31 pm

BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:16 pm
I don't know about robbery--that seems like a fair price.
Well, I did check Ebay for 'sold' listings and recently several have sold for prices north of 160 euros. So...maybe highway robbery was a bit much but seems like a bargain at least!

Rorschach

#9 Post by Rorschach » Wed May 06, 2020 8:42 pm

mrsonchus wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:29 pm
Congratulations! If that one is indeed perfect - and I see no reason to think it isn't, you're in for a real treat. I think the price is a really good one indeed - in my opinion this objective is easily worth say £60-£90 considering just how good the Leitz 170mm TL objectives are, and this one, for me at least, is a real star-performer.

The 170mm TL objectives, Plan or PlanApo, are superb - the relatively low prices of some of them are I suspect a result of their perceived age-limitations, which is rather handy as they are I have certainly found, very good indeed. It's well-worth waiting for the Plans and the PlanApos to come-along, as they invariably will, if you've a 170mm TL Leitz system - mine was the Orthoplan, and was a very close second to my current Olympus BX 'scopes. I did however find a rather poor performance, relative to the BX with 'just' Achromat phase objectives, when using phase contrast with the 402a condenser on the Orthoplan.

Remember, my comments are within the context of about 95% of my particular use, with permanently-mounted and stained thin-sectioned Botanical slides.

Again, congrats!
Great! Yes, I am building an Orthoplan system so it should be a perfect addition if 'healthy'.

I have a full set of 170mm Leitz Pl objectives already, free from university junk room :D

Also a full set of Leitz 170mm Pl epi objectives that came with my other, 'parts', Orthoplan. Also these cost practically nothing after I got reimbursed for shipping damage to the scope. There were styro foam particles everywhere inside the stand, mirrors and all. So nothing was actually broken but of course it's a lot of work to clean the scope so I got money back for a full refund minus the eyepieces which the seller wanted for himself. All in all, that debacle truly had a silver lining to it!

I am still missing a good trinocular and a Leitz transformer before I can start learning to use the scope. Both items are being shipped to me, so in a few weeks time I should have the time of my life :)