Flat Field Dynazoom Operational

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
BramHuntingNematodes

Flat Field Dynazoom Operational

#1 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:07 am

So it works great now. I put two scopes together and made this one. I still to do a little cleaning, particularly in the photo tube as there is visible mold that is hurting the resolution. I replaced the 15w tungsten lamp with a new bayonet assembly and 50w halogen which I am not completely satisfied with. Maybe somewhere there is a single LED bayonet bulb I can try.

I have an old-fashioned 3d printer it's called "making things out of wood" here is a homemade photo adapter. It works pretty well but I may want to upgrade my camera eventually. This one is grainy and the sensor is old.

I have as an example a fine slide made by the U of Penna. anatomy student, looks circa 1940s. This is labeled the "Gastro-duodenal junction." and is an excellent ribbon double the usual slip size. I am having a little trouble with the fidelity as seen here, but the scope works well!

4x Flat Field

10x Flat Field

40x Planachromat

40x Planachromat X2 Zoom

I would have thought the zoom would have made a worse picture with the 40x but it is a fantastic objective and produces a good looking picture even at double the size. I put in for the 10x Planachromat I like this one so much. Something I would like to look into is that the photo tube is not parfocal with the objectives. In fact, the image on camera goes out of focus and needs to be readjusted as the zoom is changed which is not the case with the eyepieces (in fact, I like using the zoom just to get a very accurate focus on a particular part of the image and then zoom back out). This probably has to do with the afocal setup I am using, although I will read up a little on this model.

All in all it's a superb scope. Really nice handling, and all the mechanisms are simple to take apart and put back together. It's really big. It's bigger in person. The Balplan uses some similar mechanisms it looks like, but has more flexibility as to the light source and other contrast methods one could employ. For the simple-minded microscopist though, this Dynazoom flat field uses the same lenses and has some very nice features also. For anyone that is interested, I would highly recommend getting a refurbished one from a dealer as they look to run between $200-$300 and I will have ended spending that much on two of these old beat up scopes, solvents, other sundries to get it into good working shape (I merged the best parts from two old scopes). The first scope I had, although it had the head I wanted, I think was used to look at some pretty caustic samples as the lens finish is beat all to hell, the shared rear lens assembly was essentially destroyed as described in painful detail in the Balplan thread, and even some of the paint on the stage base was wrinkled. You never know with this surplus!
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

MicroBob

Re: Flat Field Dynazoom Operational

#2 Post by MicroBob » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:47 am

Hi Bram,
fine to see that you have your Dynazoom running now! It really looks nice and is an interesting design.
I have recently bought the older battleship grey binocular 160mm optics version and have serviced the top optical train to see whether will be usable at all. While many surfaces didn't look promision all cleaned up well. The zoom-function is nice for the 3,5:1 and the 10:1 objective as it extends the magnification range without reducing image quality. The eyepieces are inscribed with 10x WF LAB, and offer a wide field of view with lots of eye relief for use with glasses. Their surface is metal though and one would scrape of the coating of the spectacles in no time!
The nosepiece, stage, focus gear and light still wait to be serviced but they move albeit a bit sluggish. The stage appears to be very stiff. The rparcentricity is a bit off, probably from me loosening the optical elements of the zoom optics. So I will have to adjust this a bit better.
Both eyepiece tubes can be adjusted in length and I have not yet understood what this is for.

Bob

BramHuntingNematodes

#3 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:19 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:47 am
Hi Bram,
fine to see that you have your Dynazoom running now! It really looks nice and is an interesting design.
I have recently bought the older battleship grey binocular 160mm optics version and have serviced the top optical train to see whether will be usable at all. While many surfaces didn't look promision all cleaned up well. The zoom-function is nice for the 3,5:1 and the 10:1 objective as it extends the magnification range without reducing image quality. The eyepieces are inscribed with 10x WF LAB, and offer a wide field of view with lots of eye relief for use with glasses. Their surface is metal though and one would scrape of the coating of the spectacles in no time!
The nosepiece, stage, focus gear and light still wait to be serviced but they move albeit a bit sluggish. The stage appears to be very stiff. The rparcentricity is a bit off, probably from me loosening the optical elements of the zoom optics. So I will have to adjust this a bit better.
Both eyepiece tubes can be adjusted in length and I have not yet understood what this is for.

Bob
I know that the interpupillary distance adjustment also triggers a slight movement of the eyepiece in and out to maintain the tube length (a feature lacking in my older Dynoptic that seems to do just fine without it). The operation of this sticks a little in mine. A word of caution when taking the nosepiece apart! There are a lot of ball bearings loose and floating around in there that will fall out the second you loosen up the screw and make to take it off. They are difficult to find on the floor and get into cracks. It took me four days to find the last one!

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:54 pm

BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:19 pm
There are a lot of ball bearings loose and floating around in there that
Good to know! In this case it probably is enough to dissolve the old grease and put a bit on new grease in. The revolving ball bearings do a quite good cleaning job.

I had the complete top end apart and it is fairly straightforward to work on it. There is a screwed pin per side that runs in a diagonal slot to move the eyepiece tubes. When the pin is removed the tubes can be taken out and cleaned and lubricated.
On such a push-pull binocular tube one would have to adjust the eyepiece tubes to maintain the tube length when changing IPD. The system on the Dynazoom makes this superflous. Very useful when more than one person uses the microscope.

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:29 pm

BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:07 am
The Balplan uses some similar mechanisms it looks like, but has more flexibility as to the light source and other contrast methods one could employ. For the simple-minded microscopist though, this Dynazoom flat field uses the same lenses and has some very nice features also.
It looks very good. I am happy it all worked out in the end.

It's true that the Balplan offers the possibility of epi and epi fluorescence but that's about the only advantage. You lose the zoom feature and for any of the flat field apochtromat objectives over 1.25 N.A., they never got around to making a high N.A. condenser for the Balplan, so officially, the flat field apos were only, 7.5X, 12.5X and 25X. I had to d.i.y. a 1.4 achromat/aplanat so the 75x and 125x could be utilized to their capacity. There was a 1.4 for the Dynas. Phase, pol and illuminated DF cardioid and paraboloid condensers. It was a pretty full system.

BramHuntingNematodes

#6 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:02 pm

Thanks enormously for all the Apo. The Balplan thread is what initially got me interested in B&L plan optics, and I certainly would have been at a serious disadvantage in understanding how this scope works without your detailed explanations.

The stock 15-watt lamp, the replacement 50-watt halogen bulb that I built a bayonet socket for, and an LED bayonet bulb I have tried all have some deficiencies I am looking to address. I am going to build a single-led fixture with a quality high-intensity dimmable LED lamp, so I can post details of that if it works out well. The internal optics look to have a pretty specific distance set back for the filament, but the illuminator bulb holder is a massive aluminum cylinder that slides in and out for adjustment-- I only have to make sure the diode extends out far enough.

In the meantime, I found a complete 160mm 50s era phase contrast set for the Dynoptic and a excellent condition 47.5x Apo lens with adjustment collar was thrown in for good measure. I think that setup is now finished and I am looking forward to examining some macerated leaves with it.

Radazz

#7 Post by Radazz » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:05 am

I have one of these from the medical school. Mine is the single knob version.
I agree they are a little ‘under-lit’.
The one I have doesn’t perform as well as a 1959 Dynoptic in the collection.
Probably needs some tuning, but I have higher priorities at this time.

Nice looking stand!

Radazz
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

MicroBob

#8 Post by MicroBob » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:14 pm

Radazz wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:05 am
the single knob version.
There were two single knob versions: Either trinocular head and no zoom or binocular haeada and zoom.

The binocular tube is comparatively easy to dismantle and clean. This might improve you instrument a lot.

Bob

BramHuntingNematodes

#9 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:47 am

What a difference a lens can make! The old lens was a 16mm m12 lens for a 1/2" sensor. My sensor is only 2/5", so I got a new lens, decided to make a 12mm also to capture the whole FOV now that my lenses are plan. I destroyed my first LED driver and so am using a flashlight as the replacement arrives; it gives my a little trouble with levels and this banding effect compared to the LED lightbulb I had in there earlier. Can't use that now as I have retrofitted the illuminator with a big heat sink and an led on it. Also, looks like I'm going to have to do some cleaning on the inside of this head. Got some great snaps at 400x- 800x dry magnification including this rad gastrotrich (original single images --no time for retouching!!)

apochronaut

#10 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:03 am

Very good resolution. Were any of those , at 2X on the zoom?

BramHuntingNematodes

#11 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:32 am

The latter three were fully zoomed. 40x planachromat.

Also the gastrotrich was wiggling about quite a bit

apochronaut

#12 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:01 am

Nothing wrong with that. At only .65 too. According to the catalogues, they made a 50X .80 planachromat too but I have never seen one, just a 50X .80 oil planfluorite, which I have never seen in a catalogue.

BramHuntingNematodes

#13 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:05 am

Wow, what color would they even use for it, like orange?

BramHuntingNematodes

#14 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:32 am

apochronaut wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:01 am
Nothing wrong with that. At only .65 too. According to the catalogues, they made a 50X .80 planachromat too but I have never seen one, just a 50X .80 oil planfluorite, which I have never seen in a catalogue.
I see someone is selling a 80x .85 Planachromat in the BF/DF Met. style. One of our Balplan boys oughtta pick it up-- it's pretty cheap!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BAUSH-LOMB-PLA ... Sw-vpe~j51

Gives me some hope that I might one day see the transmitted light version.

apochronaut

#15 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:53 am

I think that 80X might be a 24mm thread, like the 80X flat field fluorite I have. The adapter adds some length but I have used mine on a Balplan and it works. The 50X oil planfluorite has a white ring. Probably the 50X planachromat did too.