My New Poor Man's Stereo Microscope Setup

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
DonSchaeffer

My New Poor Man's Stereo Microscope Setup

#1 Post by DonSchaeffer » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:19 pm

This may seem to trivial to some, but I found a really sturdy stand for my digital microscope and I added LED lighting from a flexibe coil lamp. I use a jar with a clear lid as a stage. I have a number of ways of controlling it.
DSC_7534 -1a.jpg
DSC_7534 -1a.jpg (135.4 KiB) Viewed 3252 times

MichaelG.

Re: My New Poor Man's Stereo Microscope Setup

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:58 pm

Not trivial at all, Don

You have found ways to better-use the equipment you have
... and you are having fun looking at stuff !!

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

DonSchaeffer

#3 Post by DonSchaeffer » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:53 pm

Thanks Michael. Thanks to you guys, I have found a most enjoyable and fruitful hobby and a way of looking at the world as well.

Bemoc

#4 Post by Bemoc » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:00 am

Wow, that's awesome! I'm with you right now, that looks like my Poor Woman's darkfield-ish setup. I shine a USB micro/cam identical to yours down an old crummy Amscope compound, angle it a certain way, et voila! Pseudo darkfield, just fuzzy. Don't we have fun though? Also, what a great idea about the clear lid.

I have been working on building a decent setup, though so far most things I have bought at auction with stuck stages or missing objectives or impossible alignment -- sometimes all three. My hopes are high, tho - I have bought a couple more that are winding their way to me via UPS. Maybe soon I'll have enough to make at least a Frankenscope.
Attachments
darkfieldish.jpg
darkfieldish.jpg (63.19 KiB) Viewed 2448 times

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:17 am

Hi Don - in no way trivial!

In the spirit of adventure and exploration that we all share here! I myself started-off with an old mobile 'phone that amazingly for the time, 'took pictures' - of about 100K... It was enough for me to take images of wild flowers then peruse them, on said tiny 'phone's screen, at home. The rest is (as I suspect you will experience also) history!

Your videos are very nice and offer something different every time and your images are improving rapidly too - e.g. your last cracking image of the yeast-cells et-al.

Keep it up Don, you're right in-the-groove in my eyes - enjoying and exploring every which-way! This is the heart & soul of this wonderful hobby, equipment-levels come and go - passion and an enquiring mind endure!

Excellent set-up - thanks for sharing it, and without doubt inspiring others as you go. :)
John B

DonSchaeffer

#6 Post by DonSchaeffer » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:48 pm

Wow! Thanks a lot. I have fun with it every day.